WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Choose your Adventure

Old 03-29-2014, 12:52 AM
SpidersWeb (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Choose your Adventure

Just quit question, are there publishing companies that still do the choose your own adventure books?
I have looked using google and so far have only found one that publishes for erotic, nothing wrong with them. I'm not looking to write erotic. I'm currently working on a fantasy choose your adventure trilogy/series.. what ever one wishes to call it.
Just trying to get an idea where to look.

thank you.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:30 PM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Funny you should ask this. There are definitely companies still doing choose your own adventure type books, or interactive fiction as I prefer to think of them as.

Tin Man Games are doing gamebook apps with dice rolling (like Fighting Fantasy) http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/

On Amazon, the old Choose Your Own Adventure books are being sold and there are quite a few new ones which you can find by typing in 'interactive fiction' or 'choose your own adventure'.

There's Inkle too. They let you write your own stuff and will turn it into an ebook for you. Simple to use. They've also published an interactive version of Frankenstein which I can recommend, and it also includes the original by Mary Shelley. They've redone Sorcery! as an app too. http://www.inklestudios.com/

Finally, there's Choice of Games. Some of their stories/games can be read for free online. http://www.choiceofgames.com/ Currently, I'm learning how to code in an effort to try and write one for either their choice of label or hosted games. Anyone can pretty much write for hosted games, as the source code is freely available and they'll publish it for you, with you earning 25% royalties. The only barrier is learning to code really, which I learned after a day or two, and I'm very much a non-programmer.

PS: If you decide to take a look at Choice of Games and to use choicescript, feel free to send me a message if you get stuck. I can help with learning basic things. Absolutely anyone can learn how to use Inklewriter however. It just might not be suitable for what you're doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DavidGil; 03-29-2014 at 03:34 PM..
Old 03-31-2014, 10:15 AM
FutureFootball (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 44

Personally, I think they are very difficult to write.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:40 PM
SpidersWeb (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Icon7 You so should check out,

inklewriter, its a web site. It is created sully for choose adventure or interactive stories. It's all through the web. Story is saved, it keeps track of looses end's. It does the mapping as well.
I just started using it. I do not have much time to use it. Internet is impossible to use while I'm at work. But I write using my computer, thumb drive it and copy and past to the site. I have 12 chapters for one choice, and 12 directions/ splits. I found that if you just write one at a time it starts to fall into place.
Best advice, if you want to give it a try. If you already have a story that you either came close to finishing or completed. Go back to it and think of what would have happened if the character decided to do this in stead. It might make it simpler if its an all ready done book. or have fun doing that to a book that you love. Granted you can't publish with someone else's work. But for practice purpose's or just for fun.
I use to do that with the moral books. I have no clue when they where publish. But it was a kids story, and lessons to learn. I would redo it with the kid getting away with it, and they would be in deeper.... You get the idea.
It's fun.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 PM
SpidersWeb (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default thanks!

Originally Posted by DavidGil View Post
Funny you should ask this. There are definitely companies still doing choose your own adventure type books, or interactive fiction as I prefer to think of them as.

Tin Man Games are doing gamebook apps with dice rolling (like Fighting Fantasy) http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/

On Amazon, the old Choose Your Own Adventure books are being sold and there are quite a few new ones which you can find by typing in 'interactive fiction' or 'choose your own adventure'.

There's Inkle too. They let you write your own stuff and will turn it into an ebook for you. Simple to use. They've also published an interactive version of Frankenstein which I can recommend, and it also includes the original by Mary Shelley. They've redone Sorcery! as an app too. http://www.inklestudios.com/

Finally, there's Choice of Games. Some of their stories/games can be read for free online. http://www.choiceofgames.com/ Currently, I'm learning how to code in an effort to try and write one for either their choice of label or hosted games. Anyone can pretty much write for hosted games, as the source code is freely available and they'll publish it for you, with you earning 25% royalties. The only barrier is learning to code really, which I learned after a day or two, and I'm very much a non-programmer.

PS: If you decide to take a look at Choice of Games and to use choicescript, feel free to send me a message if you get stuck. I can help with learning basic things. Absolutely anyone can learn how to use Inklewriter however. It just might not be suitable for what you're doing.
thanks so much. I love those stories and will so have to get a copy. And, funny enough. I stumbled across inklewriter. It is a web site for interactive writers. it's like the writing programs with out all the extra jar go. Help's map out the story, let's one know when there is a loose end. And lets the writer read through the way it's ment to be read.
I found it when I was looking for games like the choose adventure. It's because I have been working on a game. Starting out using maya, and java. Really like the combo. I also do not wanna get to heavy in bit coding. Yet.
thank you again. And if there is two reply's sorry internet keep's crashing.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:58 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

You're most welcome, and I'm glad others are interested in it. I know many may not agree, but I think good things can be done with interactive fiction, depending on the writing quality, the story and how involved the reader/player feels.

I think the best bet, which is something heavily used by choicescript and Inklewriter, is to make use of a technique called delayed branching. It means the story doesn't always immediately branch, but things can have an effect on choices later.

Basically, it stops each choice leading to a unique story. On page 1, if you have two choices, that leads to two unique story paths full of original content. Then, another two choices on page two leads to even more unique paths. it's easy to see how it leads to an unmanageable mess and a project that'll never get finished.

Of course, the trick is to manage fake choices and the illusion of choice well. Nothing wrong with creating distinct, branching stories anyway, but you just don't want every choice to lead you to an entirely new story. (You can manage things well by tracking stats and variables too) Choice of Games' blog explains all this well anyway, and probably much better than I have.

and

Old 04-04-2014, 03:56 AM
SpidersWeb (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I think one of the main reasons that its avoided or not really done much, yes it can turn into a "run on story." or from what I have seen in some of the interactive (like that term better) books, that most choice's kill you. that can get frustrating. or they just loop together.
I find it difficult to deal with either. Yah choices in life can kill. but is more frustrating when opportunity just happens to knock in the same direction. In real life, yes you can become a jack of all trades or renaissance of experience. But really those same opportunity just happened to be on pause.. no, I don't agree with that.
my example is fable, oblivion, etc. yes good game's. but if you take time, you can do almost all the opportunities. I do say almost. I do play them, just don't agree with it.

originally, I was just going to write separate stories using the same characters, but took the other choice. different results. Then someone, um an English teacher, pointed out that the readers may feel be trade as a result. But then handed me a interactive book. don't remember the name of either book or teacher.
So, I have 8 different versions of the same story, I guess that's best way to explain it. But im sure that more will come. Just getting one done at a time, then working the other's in, where they make sense.
My, thing is. You decide and there is no going back. Some things may loop some, but it's a different set of events.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:07 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

I cant see it ever catching on apart from very simple stories for children. When people read they want to be drawn into the story, not think about which direction to take it in.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

You're likely right, Rincewind. And there's the problem of getting people who just want to read a book without choices to enjoy the story, as you mention. Pretty problematic in even getting people to give the work a glance.

But I still want to give it a go. I picture a scenario, just as an example, where there might be a choice to make between defying orders in a warzone and rescuing children, while more people are gunned down than would be if the children hadn't been saved, then have the reader live with it.

I just think the medium has a lot to offer in terms of making people think. But it just requires . . . well, good writing, a good story, probably more so than ordinary writing requires.

At least I want to give it a go at writing something affecting anyway that's interactive in nature. I know that I'll be more likely to generate sales with interactive fiction though, so there's partly that too even if all I produce is a 'fluff' piece. The publisher has quite a big audience for what they sell, even under the user made game/stories label. And well, they pretty much accept anything under that label as long as the app stores and such approve it (content wise), so I know it's not that much of a gamble.

Edit: Basically, I don't know how many of you are familiar with The Walking Dead game (the Telltale one), but while I played it myself and never cried (I felt it a bit, I admit), I saw others literally crying at the end while watching videos on youtube. So, I know what the interactive medium is capable of achieving when the story's can't be considered fluff and the writing's good.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 04-07-2014 at 05:46 AM..
Old 04-08-2014, 03:34 AM
SpidersWeb (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
I cant see it ever catching on apart from very simple stories for children. When people read they want to be drawn into the story, not think about which direction to take it in.
Actually, you would be surprised about the amount of people who want to read a book and have a bit of control over what the character your reading about makes.

Like for example. have you ever read a book that you like the beginning but the end was horrible, in your opinion?

What if you had a choice to change the choice the character made that led up to it. Another example, say a book is well written, and the characters in it are the kind one get's attached to, but everyone gets locked up and is about to be in slave or what not. just really bad. all except the hero, now the hero of the story finally confronts what ever is behind all this bad. After defeating the badness, just walks away. turns out the hero really didn't care what happen to all the other characters, and the story is really about vengeance. how many out there would like the chance to change the out come.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 AM
SpidersWeb (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

I'm trying to give the option for the reader to experience more than one genre (kinda). It is based on Fantasy, but they will have the choice if they want to read mainly fantasy adventure, fantasy horror, fantasy romance or have a mix of them. Since I go through faze of wanting more of one kind. My writing reflects that. Interactive, its a good compromise for me to write in.

If you need help, in giving it a go, let me know. Maybe I'll post tips for those that want to give it a try. There is a market for it. The video games that give choice's, wouldn't have made the money they did.

A good one that gave a choice on the out come, granted all it did was change the ending, castlevania.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

how many out there would like the chance to change the out come.
I suspect, not too many.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Originally Posted by SpidersWeb View Post

I'm trying to give the option for the reader to experience more than one genre (kinda). It is based on Fantasy, but they will have the choice if they want to read mainly fantasy adventure, fantasy horror, fantasy romance or have a mix of them. Since I go through faze of wanting more of one kind. My writing reflects that. Interactive, its a good compromise for me to write in.

If you need help, in giving it a go, let me know. Maybe I'll post tips for those that want to give it a try. There is a market for it. The video games that give choice's, wouldn't have made the money they did.

A good one that gave a choice on the out come, granted all it did was change the ending, castlevania.
A video game is an entirely different animal. You can't possibly compare the two.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing