WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Review Sites and Reading Fees

Old 03-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Whisper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 87
Icon5 Review Sites and Reading Fees

Going to put this out there and see what you guys think: How do you feel about review sites/blogs charging fees for reviews? I ask because I was looking for horror review sites for my WIP (planning ahead) and I came across several that do this, and the fees ranged from $5 to $450. I'm not sure how to feel about that. The high end one is ridiculous and I closed that tab right down. But the lower end... it almost seems reasonable, but then I remember I am also sending them the book for free. I mean, you associate a fee for service with a service that helps you in some way, so why would you pay for a bad or DNF review? But if it's good, then I'd feel like they only gave a good review because they got paid. What do you guys think? Have you ever submitted to a site like that? Would you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 03-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

I think this discussion came up a while back. My feeling is that a paid review can never be 100% honest or objective.
Whisper (03-26-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 11:19 PM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 167

you associate a fee for service with a service that helps you in some way, so why would you pay for a bad or DNF review?
So you don't want an honest review?
Come on, you surely don't need to pay people to read your book?
I wouldn't do it because I have more sense than money, and anyway it seems a bit desperate. Fake reviews stick out like a sore thumb and would probably harm your sales in any case.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 AM
CandyCane (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 195

I personally think its a little dishonest in some ways.

Your paying for a service that should be given out of honest and true feeling after buying the book. You're not really earning it.

Someone with bucket loads of money, yet a poop book (obv not you) could just pay 200 people to review and they'd fly up the rankings, and what for?

lots of people on another site I use do free days, where the books free for x amount of hours or days, and they request reviews after, some wont bother, only the ones who feel genuinely passionate one way or the other do.
The Following User Says Thank You to CandyCane For This Useful Post:
Whisper (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 AM
Whisper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 87

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
So you don't want an honest review?
I do, that's my point. Most newspapers and magazines with high readerships charge fees for reviews because they say it's a form of advertisement. In that case, I can almost understand. It sucks, but they generate revenue from advertisements to pay staff and put out their product. When it comes to smaller blogs/sites, they tend to say the same thing, but they don't have a physical product and their readership isn't even close to the newspapers. So what exactly do they expect you to be paying for?

|
|
Old 03-26-2014, 11:34 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 167

Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
Most newspapers and magazines with high readerships charge fees for reviews because they say it's a form of advertisement.
Do they? Does that mean the publishers who spend a small fortune on these reviews are happy to get a trashing if the reviewer doesn't like their book?

Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
When it comes to smaller blogs/sites, they tend to say the same thing, but they don't have a physical product and their readership isn't even close to the newspapers. So what exactly do they expect you to be paying for?
Haven't a clue. As an impartial onlooker it seems to me this is exploiting a new author's desire to promote their book.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:54 PM
charleswhaley (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 22

What about reviews for a donation?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:36 PM
BcRep (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11

The truth behind fees for reviews, contests, etc. is that not everyone is a great writer. You have to invest man hours to read submissions whether they are good or bad. It's not purely about buying objectivity...it's more of insurance.

b.c.submissions@gmail.com, send us some manuscripts. No reading or review fees.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:33 AM
FutureFootball (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 44

Originally Posted by BcRep View Post
The truth behind fees for reviews, contests, etc. is that not everyone is a great writer. You have to invest man hours to read submissions whether they are good or bad. It's not purely about buying objectivity...it's more of insurance.

b.c.submissions@gmail.com, send us some manuscripts. No reading or review fees.
I'm presuming you're a reviewer?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Whisper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 87

There is one review blog that spells it out in the review policy that payment is required, and not only that, you should expect to donate a giveaway in order to have your review published there. They go on to say that the fee is to compensate reviewers for the time they put in reading your work and reviewing it.

My heart bleeds for them, it truly does. As someone who's put months of work and not a small amount of money to create a clean, marketable, affordable, entertaining novel, I fully understand how taxing it can be to receive a pile of such works for FREE and then have to actually READ them. (holds up sarcasm sign)

|
|
Old 05-17-2014, 06:04 PM
crochetlady99 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

I would not recommend anyone that charges reading fees, unless they are professional editors. Anyone else that says this is usually a scammer. Maybe you could find someone you know that is very honest to look your work over?
Old 05-25-2014, 02:54 PM
TheLLama (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Never pay for a review, ever.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing