WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Anyone here work in the magazine industry? How long did it take you to find a job?

Old 02-26-2014, 04:37 PM
zillionthwriter (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Anyone here work in the magazine industry? How long did it take you to find a job?

Hey everyone.

Not sure how many people here are involved in the magazine world, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I graduated from college last summer, and I've been looking for jobs in the magazine world since September. I've had absolutely no luck whatsoever.

While I was in college I did two magazine internships, where I worked in the editorial department, and I got to write articles for their websites. Right before I graduated, I applied to work at a brand new literary magazine and I was accepted as an editorial assistant. After eight months, I was promoted. I love this magazine and it's exactly the type of publication I'd love to work at for a living, but unfortunately they have no money to pay anyone and we're all volunteers. It still looks great on my resume, though.

I've also done some freelancing on the side, so I have a pretty good portfolio. I've been trying to get myself an entry-level editing position, but so far no one has responded to me. I think I have a good resume (even had it revised by a professional) and I write a different cover letter for each job, making sure to target what they want.

I got a response last Thursday from a magazine where I applied to be an editorial assistant. They asked me to send them some clips, which I did right away. They haven't gotten back to me after that. Don't know if that means they've rejected me. They responded to my application four days after I submitted it, so I expected a pretty quick reply after sending them my clips.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips? I'm starting to lose hope in this job search. It's been five months.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

I can`t comment on your specific field, but I can give one job search suggestion. It`s not unusual that the reason for a delay has nothing to do with you. Sometimes you need to be the one to initiate communication. Send some sort of follow up response. Show them how much you want the job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing