WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Trying to get something published

Old 03-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Rudy (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 3
Default Trying to get something published

As a way to pass the time and entertain myself, I have spent the last ten years daydreaming and creating a fictional story in my head. I finally wrote the story down. I have written books for myself before, but to my surprise, this one seemed better.

I decided that I would look into getting it published. I have learned that the business of publishing is like any other business; if you are looking to spend money then you can have a million people trying to get in touch with you: self publishing companies and writing consultants. There is so much information out there on publishing and I have no idea where to start or which direction to take. Also, I do not have that much money to invest into it.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rudy For This Useful Post:
Escriber* (07-02-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 01:07 PM
charleswhaley (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 22

Greetings! Welcome to the forums. Stay awhile and look around, there's a plethora of information to pick through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:31 PM
BcRep (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11

b.c.submissions@gmail.com, send in a manuscript, we'll gladly read it.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:30 AM
CandyCane (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 195

Firstly, is your manuscript edited and shining?

Next, do you want to self publish or traditional?

For traditional, your first step is an agent, you need a query letter and a synopsis, they too needed to be edited and shining. Once they are, re-edit your novel for the mistakes you missed before. Then query your selected agent.

To self publish, if you cant afford an editor, you need to comb that MS until you can recite it in your sleep. Then run it through a text to speech prog or read aloud, and get others to read through. (i'd actually recommend beta readers regardless of the way you choose to publish).

last piece of advice from me, don't send it to anyone without researching them properly. Check out the company/agency check reviews of them, check email addresses match company name, check company address, Google some more, find out who else they represent, ect ect.
The Following User Says Thank You to CandyCane For This Useful Post:
katharinetree (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by BcRep View Post
b.c.submissions@gmail.com, send in a manuscript, we'll gladly read it.
Firstly, ignore people like this like your life depended on it.
CandyCane (04-25-2014), J.S.Fairey (04-25-2014), jimmymc (06-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Floyd (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 49

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Firstly, ignore people like this like your life depended on it.
They don't appear to exist on Google.

As CandyCane says, research is everything.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:16 PM
katharinetree (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 24

I'd like to echo CandyCane's advice to edit your manuscript in every way possible. Beta readers if you can find them, text-to-speech, it even helps just to read your manuscript somewhere outside of your text editor. Typos and errors in my book that I had re-read half a dozen times and missed in Word became glaring the first time I read it on a Kindle.

There is no D'oh like a typo D'oh.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:27 AM
CandyCane (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 195

the kindle advice is very good, I did the same, sitting there having to highlight page after page when I thought it just needed a read through for plot holes. amazing how it can look so different!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Medini Summers (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Hi Rudy.
I have been on the same journey as you for 20 years. I think I have a very good product. My writing is excellent, exciting and un-put-downable. But still not successful. Just to let you know what you're up against. You have to have exceptional writing skills and also be incredibly lucky to get started with a publisher. But just the same follow your muse and do what your heart dictates. The process of writing can be well worth it.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 PM
jimmymc (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 170

Self publishing with KDP (kindle direct publishing) is not that difficult or expensive. POD(print on demand) is also not very expensive or difficult.

Getting your book ready to publish and making sales is the hard part as CC said.

Query a lot of agents

Again, do not fall for a vanity publisher like Publish America -excetera, unless you want to spend a bunch of money.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Belinda (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Promotion

Hi -yes its hell out there and sooo many people wanting to take your money. Having an agent might help, they go to all their "friendly" Publishers which gets you started.

Publishing is really about promotion and distribution, so getting the book in paper and formatted correctly doesn't help - well I dont think it does ...

Old 07-02-2014, 06:47 AM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 120
Icon14 Trying to Get Something Published

Thrilled to hear that another member is going through the publising process.
I hope you all the success. Just to add to what has been written,

If you take a trip to your local library there is a "Reference" series titled "Literary Marketplace 2014" that will assist you with tips and samples of Query Letters and Proposals.

Also, you will want to pick the publisher and agent best suited for the type of material you are working on. You don't want to submit things to a Science Fiction agent, if you are working on a Mainstream novel. Do a little research.
No despair- it is the Decision.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:05 AM
Belinda (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Escriber* View Post
Thrilled to hear that another member is going through the publising process.
I hope you all the success. Just to add to what has been written,

If you take a trip to your local library there is a "Reference" series titled "Literary Marketplace 2014" that will assist you with tips and samples of Query Letters and Proposals.

Also, you will want to pick the publisher and agent best suited for the type of material you are working on. You don't want to submit things to a Science Fiction agent, if you are working on a Mainstream novel. Do a little research.
It is so easy to spam agents and publishers these days and Escribe is right. Select, try to build a relationship, understand their business model (Yeah I know, that ones sound boring).

However here is some good news, publishers or at least commissioning editors dont have long memories. If you have made the mistake of spamming them in the past, they probably wont remember!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:40 AM
angelgirl (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 15
Default Publishing

As a way to pass the time and entertain myself, I have spent the last ten years daydreaming and creating a fictional story in my head. I finally wrote the story down. I have written books for myself before, but to my surprise, this one seemed better.

I decided that I would look into getting it published. I have learned that the business of publishing is like any other business; if you are looking to spend money then you can have a million people trying to get in touch with you: self publishing companies and writing consultants. There is so much information out there on publishing and I have no idea where to start or which direction to take. Also, I do not have that much money to invest into it.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Hi Rudy, if you're looking to self-publish, here are a couple of websites I would recommend. You can actually upload your book for free in a do-it-all-yourself approach. Once you do that, your book will instantly be up on the market at no costs to you! It will also be available on amazon.

See:

https://www.createspace.com/pub/l/di...0170000000cGet

http://www.lulu.com/

https://www.smashwords.com/upload

When you self-publish you also own all rights to your work.

Last edited by angelgirl; 07-04-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Old 07-16-2014, 05:11 AM
Belinda (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Don't get despondent

Createspace et al are a way for you to visualise your book but it is printing not publishing. As long as you understand that this is short run printing you will not be disillusioned.

We use Createspace for initial short runs and I can tell you that we probably redo each book twice (or more) and we do it all the time. So, yes you can do it, but put aside some time and don't give up if the first one is all wrong.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:45 AM
angelgirl (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 15
Default Promotion

Hi Belinda,
When it comes to the promotion of your book, createspace doesn't really provide much of a choice for marketing, so I'd recommend a traditional publishers. It's probably more helpful in terms of marketing and distributing..
Old 07-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

It's probably more helpful in terms of marketing and distributing..
Not necessarily. More and more publishers are expecting their authors to do their own promotion. Distributing, they probably have covered. For the most part.

Twisty mind candy:

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing