WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Spring Poetry Contest - Transition - VOTING 1!

View Poll Results: Please vote for your favorite poem.
SW - "Inside the love of the throne" 1 7.14%
TheLostArc - "I still don't get it" 3 21.43%
Liquid Sun - "Alone" 1 7.14%
Danny - "The Breathing: In and Out" 0 0%
CJWebb - "The Wake" 2 14.29%
Jewel of the Lotus - "Searching for Ryna" 1 7.14%
Gary Wagner - "Daddy's Gone" 3 21.43%
downpourofwords - "Into the thin air" 1 7.14%
TopazVonZ - "Passion Caged" 1 7.14%
Jude Church - "Farewell My Love" 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484
Default Spring Poetry Contest - Transition - VOTING 1!

The Spring Poetry contest is done! Unfortunately, the forum only allows ten options per poll and there are thirteen entries. So this poll will be split between two threads.

Here's a brief list of the entries. Please read over them (here) and pick your favorite. Then vote for it in the poll where it appears (this thread or its twin).

SW - "Inside the love of the throne"
TheLostArc - "I still don't get it"
Liquid Sun - "Alone"
Danny - "The Breathing: In and Out"
CJWebb - "The Wake"
Jewel of the Lotus - "Searching for Ryan"
Gary Wagner - "Daddy's Gone"
downpourofwords - "Into the thin air"
TopazVonZ - "Passion Caged"
Jude Church - "Farewell My Love"
Creator_7 - My true roots"
Tau - "Filicide"
Janx - "Transition"

Though there are two polls, please only vote for one entry, in order to keep things fair. It's a hard choice, I know, but one vote per member, no pushing or shoving!

The polling will close on June 27th. The entry with the most votes wins publication in the Writer's Beat Quarterly! Thanks to everyone who participated for sharing your unique takes on the theme. Good luck!

Last edited by HoiLei; 06-15-2009 at 08:56 PM..
Old 06-16-2009, 04:02 AM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

First vote! How delightful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-19-2009, 07:24 PM
TheLostArc (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 16

I'm not going to lie I voted for myself because well, who doesn't like winning something. But Anyone who hasn't voted yet, take notice of Gary Wagner's poem. Fantastic isn't the right word, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:04 PM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

What, I thought the mods stopped the voting-for-self?

At least, that was meant to be the point when it was an open poll. Oh well, I suppose it's up to the person.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Danny (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 52

Originally Posted by SW View Post
What, I thought the mods stopped the voting-for-self?

At least, that was meant to be the point when it was an open poll. Oh well, I suppose it's up to the person.
Yeah, I'm not sure how this can be objective--one vote spread across 10 entries? I much prefer the open comments and voting by staff. I haven't voted yet because I haven't read all the poems yet.
"The basis of shame is not some personal mistake of ours, but the ignominy, the humiliation we feel that we must be what we are without any choice in the matter, and that this humiliation is seen by everyone."
Old 06-22-2009, 04:06 AM
Atreus (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 19

lol, if people are voting for themselves that kind of defeats the object here.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

We can not stop people voting for themselves, but when it is open we can see when people do, I will raise the subject with the other staff to see what should be done in this case.

To be honest I am surprised that this is a closed vote, as the last one was open.

Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure how this can be objective--one vote spread across 10 entries? I much prefer the open comments and voting by staff. I haven't voted yet because I haven't read all the poems yet.
By the way, there are thirteen entries, see the other thread.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 722

While some may see it as being "tricky," voting for yourself is something that happens in virtually every medium. Whether is be a contest, an election, or for something like homecoming king and queen, giving yourself that extra vote is something that has been done forever.

All this means is that more members need to be sure to check out the entries and vote! Everyone voting for themselves kind of cancels everything out--so it's down to the unbiased readers that have not put in entries. Vote people! Vote!

Old 06-22-2009, 04:26 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

Hmm, there's always debate about this... I don't think there's anything tricky about voting for oneself, though I only do it when I honestly think my own entry is best. On several occasions (here and elsewhere), I have voted against myself when I was really impressed by someone else's entry.

In this case, we'll keep the voting as it is, since it's not fair to change it mid voting. People sometimes vote differently when they know it's open, and I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone! Plus, it seems a bit like moving the goalposts in the middle of the game. But if you guys care to post your preferences, we can use them to decide how future contests are voted on.

And don't forget the second half of this voting thread! Its name is "Spring Poetry Contest - Transition - VOTING 2!" The link is in the original post of this thread.
Thanks!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 AM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

That's true, Hoi...

And - though rather ashamedly it hasn't happened yet - I'd vote for myself if I felt mine was best. Again, rather unfortunately, it hasn't been.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-23-2009, 04:59 PM
wildthing (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Send a message via AIM to wildthing Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing

This is my first voting experience and it was fun!

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests