WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Favorite Nationality?

Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 AM
sparta98 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Location: On this empty street on the boulevard of broken dreams...
Thanks 37
Default Favorite Nationality?

Just wondering... Pick one other than your own. =)

I've never met a foreign person I didn't like, but if I had to pick, I'd say Asian people are my favorite.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Inklogic (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 80
Send a message via Yahoo to Inklogic

Hmmm. Asians? What part of Asia and what's up with them? I have heard of the frog soup in Korea. Do you like it?

Well I like the Americans.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 AM
sparta98 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 37

I'm talking about the people themselves... Why, are you trying to pick an argument?

I just love Asian people in general, not a specific area. All of the ones I've met were very cool.
Edit:

Sorry if you meant literal frog soup... I kinda assumed you meant the conflict that's been cookin'.

Last edited by sparta98; 12-22-2010 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: I might have misinterpreted a lil'
Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38
Send a message via AIM to Castiel Send a message via MSN to Castiel Send a message via Yahoo to Castiel Send a message via Skype™ to Castiel

Romanian and well, black...Or African American if we want to be politically correct. Yep, gypsies and hoodlums, that's what I like ;D
Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 483

Politically correct or just specific? Culturally speaking, there are vast differences between Africans, African Americans, African Caribbeans, etc., so it's understandable if you feel more at ease with one group than another.

I don't have a "favorite" nationality, per se, but there are cultures I feel more comfortable in, due to my own personality meshing well with the social customs. For instance, I'm not easily affectionate, so I don't feel very comfortable in Spanish cultures with lots of hugging and kissing and close-talking. But Japan, which is the opposite on the personal space continuum, was not a good fit because it was too easy for me to become hermetical and never touch anyone.

I liked Germany... the people had a certain reserve and respect for space, but once they knew you they warmed up and were hearty and welcoming. I liked Scotland, too, for much the same reason. I never had strangers kissing me, but I never felt isolated, either.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38
Send a message via AIM to Castiel Send a message via MSN to Castiel Send a message via Yahoo to Castiel Send a message via Skype™ to Castiel

Originally Posted by HoiLei View Post
Politically correct or just specific? Culturally speaking, there are vast differences between Africans, African Americans, African Caribbeans, etc., so it's understandable if you feel more at ease with one group than another.
I guess specific. Though I know some people that if you say "black" it's racist. I'm not saying it to be racist, I just mean they are black, not African, African Americans or anything else. So yes, specific.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:05 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 483

Next time someone tells you that you're racist for saying "black", look offended and tell them "Black is beautiful!" See if that makes them back off. Or "Would you ask me to exclude black people from Britain or Cuba? That's discrimination! You bigot!"
The Following User Says Thank You to HoiLei For This Useful Post:
Castiel (12-22-2010)
Old 12-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

I like the Swiss. They have a great country and they make great swiss army knives. They give barrels of liquor to their St. Bernards and you never hear anyone returning from a vacation to Switzerland saying they sweated their asses off and got a terrible sunburn. Temperate. Besides, who doesn't like hot chocolate in the winter?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Redlorry

I don't have enough experience of other nations to answer, however I do love the Spanish language.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Inklogic (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 80
Send a message via Yahoo to Inklogic

@Sparta98: I wasn't trying to derail your thread, please. I meant the frog soup as a native delicacy in S. Korea.

@HoiLei: Yeah. I totally agree with you w.r.t the 'black' issue. As a matter of fact we all do have black items around us. Directly or indirectly we are touched by the color. How much more a human being?

Last edited by Inklogic; 12-22-2010 at 01:19 PM..
Old 12-22-2010, 01:42 PM
midwestamp (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 168

I have to say Canadians. It's cute how they do things kind of like us, just not as well.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Originally Posted by midwestamp View Post
I have to say Canadians. It's cute how they do things kind of like us, just not as well.
Wow. That is some shizzle right there lol. ;D
Old 12-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

You're either failing miserably at an attempt to be funny, or should be dropped into wilderness in Nunavut with no survival gear. In February.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:24 PM
midwestamp (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 168

And either you don't have a sense of humor, or..... nope, that's it.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Redlorry

Now now,

Midwest you beat me to it. I was going to say the same as you but substitue Canadians for Americans... ... just kidding.

I still don't know enough nationalities to have a fave.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Secret (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via MSN to Secret Send a message via Skype™ to Secret

Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
I guess specific. Though I know some people that if you say "black" it's racist. I'm not saying it to be racist, I just mean they are black, not African, African Americans or anything else. So yes, specific.
It depends on the person. I don't think someone is racist when they call me black.

I can't really choose because I have friends of so many different Nationalities. So instead, I'm going to name one I would like to know, and that would be Brazilian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

And either you don't have a sense of humor, or..... nope, that's it.
A joke of that natue has to come from knowlegde and respect for the one it is about. That's why Russell Peters gets away with what he does. You have to know what you're talking about, and when to stop.

Last edited by Rei; 12-22-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Old 12-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Originally Posted by Secret View Post
It depends on the person. I don't think someone is racist when they call me black.
It usually not black people that take offence to it, it's always white people. =/
Old 12-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

Yeah, it's pretty much always white people. Every black person knows that "black" is just an easy way to describe one aspect of a person's appearance. It is just odd that we say African American about any black person no matter how long their family has been in the US but generally don't say European (or a specific nationality) American unless they or their parents were born in Europe.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:09 PM
midwestamp (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 168

Originally Posted by Rei View Post
A joke of that natue has to come from knowlegde and respect for the one it is about. That's why Russell Peters gets away with what he does. You have to know what you're talking about, and when to stop.
You're obviously Canadian. Normally, I would apologize for having offended you, but I really feel as though you're being overly sensitive.

Instead, I'll answer the original question seriously. My favorite nationality are the Brits. They sure know how to take a joke.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Ollzie (Offline)
Scribbling Master

Thanks 56

My friend's mother is from Jamaica. She's such a sweet lady and so friendly. Her whole family is so welcoming and fun to be around.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:56 AM
winterstorm (Offline)
Fist of Fury

Thanks 62

I'll take a Canadian face with a British accent any day....
Old 12-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden

I LOVE the Yorkshire Accent or the Texan Accent And I'm moving up to Yorkshire as soon as I can. I love it.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
Old 12-23-2010, 01:56 AM
Nadja

Originally Posted by winterstorm View Post
I'll take a Canadian face with a British accent any day....
any British accent in particular?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:06 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Southern British accents annoy me - which is what I've got. I love the northern ones (Plus Cornish) and Irish and Scottish. I don't know why.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
Old 12-23-2010, 02:19 AM
sparta98 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 37

Originally Posted by Inklogic View Post
@Sparta98: I wasn't trying to derail your thread, please. I meant the frog soup as a native delicacy in S. Korea.

@HoiLei: Yeah. I totally agree with you w.r.t the 'black' issue. As a matter of fact we all do have black items around us. Directly or indirectly we are touched by the color. How much more a human being?
Sorry... Sometimes people like to derail for the hell of it. I jumped to conclusions.

Dela: I'm sure your accent isn't that bad.=)
Old 12-23-2010, 02:21 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Originally Posted by sparta98 View Post
Sorry... Sometimes people like to derail for the hell of it. I jumped to conclusions.

Dela: I'm sure your accent isn't that bad.=)
I hate my accent. It's that typical English one. I really want a Yorkshire Accent.
You know you want to -
Old 12-23-2010, 02:54 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

I don't think you can have a favourite nationality.

Most people I've come across are basically decent, regardless of where they come from. Americans I've always found to be more friendly and hospitable than Brits. Likewise Canadians. French can be militant and anti-brit, unless you speak some Frech, then they warm up a bit. Italians are great, and will kidnap your children if you let them (in a nice way, they love kids). Spanish similar.

In fact wherever you go, if you're nice, people will be nice to you. There's good and bad everywhere; you'll get mugged in London, NY or Naples, same as you will anywhere else if you go to the wrong part of town dressed the wrong way, and if you're rude to people (from my experience Brits and Yanks are the worst offenders when in foreign countries) they'll be rude back. But basically most people are actually quite nice, really.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I don't think you can have a favourite nationality.

Most people I've come across are basically decent, regardless of where they come from. Americans I've always found to be more friendly and hospitable than Brits. Likewise Canadians. French can be militant and anti-brit, unless you speak some Frech, then they warm up a bit. Italians are great, and will kidnap your children if you let them (in a nice way, they love kids). Spanish similar.

In fact wherever you go, if you're nice, people will be nice to you. There's good and bad everywhere; you'll get mugged in London, NY or Naples, same as you will anywhere else if you go to the wrong part of town dressed the wrong way, and if you're rude to people (from my experience Brits and Yanks are the worst offenders when in foreign countries) they'll be rude back. But basically most people are actually quite nice, really.
Yep, the only thing us brits know is how to offend others.
You know you want to -
Old 12-23-2010, 03:08 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Dela Eden View Post
Yep, the only thing us brits know is how to offend others.
F*** off.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe