WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself; we're all writers here, nothing to hide!

Canadian-Born, American-Raised

Old 12-14-2010, 06:17 PM
TuxedoBoonee (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 7
Icon10 Canadian-Born, American-Raised

How's it going, new friends? Here is a little bit about me.

My name is Greg Sloan.

I was born on April 6th, 1991, in either Toronto, Ontario or Potsdam, New York. No one is sure anymore. Makes for a good story though.

I live with the Family Newburn (Mama, Angel, and the Chief Wizard). They are an awesome family to have. They took me in when I was at my lowest.

MY girlfriend is the lovely and lovable Kelly. She is the centerpiece of my life's table.

I work at Walmart and go hoss every single shift as a full time milk man.

I enjoy drinking Shirley Temples and Arnold Palmers, eating mozzarella sticks and burgers, reading graphic novels (specifically Batman) and dystopia books, and writing books.

I graduated top-quarter of my class at Panther Creek High School in Morrisville-Cary, North Carolina. I briefly attended the University of North Carolina at Pembroke but decided it wasn't for me.

I drive a red Yamaha 49cc Zuma motor-scooter. She is the two-wheeled love of my life. (Screw the 50-50 rule; I'm an all-year rider)

My father and I are very close. My mother and I aren't. The rest of my family is too scattered, high, or drunk to try to keep track of.

I despise underage drinking, the smoking of marijuana, and the overall taking of drugs.

I am an agnostic, because I don't think any religion has truly figured out how the world works but I do think that there is a higher power at work.

I play bass guitar, preferably either jazz, fusion, or blues-rock.

My favorite bands are Led Zeppelin, Gorillaz, AIR, Friendly Fires, Wolfmother, and Gnarls Barkley.

Now that we got me out of the way, what about you guys? I wanna know all about my new comrades. I wanna hear about your lives. Your likes. Your journeys. Tell it to me, private or public.

Read my profile to get more about my literary interests.

With respect for the creative mind,
GSS

Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 PM
VioletProse (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Location: Out of my mind, with the little green men and the four-legged birds.

I must say, that is a very impressive intro! Makes mine look skimpy...
Anyway, welcome to Writer's Beat, and make yourself at home! I look forward to seeing you around.

Also...Led Zep and Wolfmother rock!

HTML is my second language.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:22 AM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147
Send a message via AIM to Writing.Geek.

Welcome to WB!

Good to have you here. Always nice to see a Canadian around here, even if they were raised in America.

I look forward to seeing your works around. Have a too, while you're here. I promise they aren't poisonous!

Happy Writing!
-Writing.Geek.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
if you want to reveal your stories from the shadow of your computer....
Old 12-15-2010, 02:42 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,369

Well, at this point I tend towards encouraging a fresh name to post some work. After having read what you've put up so far I don't think there will be any stopping you.

That's a good thing.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Secret (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via MSN to Secret Send a message via Skype™ to Secret

Originally Posted by TuxedoBoonee View Post

I despise underage drinking, the smoking of marijuana, and the overall taking of drugs.

I am an agnostic, because I don't think any religion has truly figured out how the world works but I do think that there is a higher power at work.

GSS
I also despise it, but old enough to do it.

It's called being spiritual but not religious. I am also that. *handshake*

Welcome! Hi!

Old 12-16-2010, 11:12 AM
clairaj (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

Hello! I'm new too. Random question: is almost everyone here American or Canadian???
Old 12-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Secret (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via MSN to Secret Send a message via Skype™ to Secret

Nope. This place is really diverse. There are a lot of British and other European folk here. We have a few from the Middle East and some from down under.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 PM
TuxedoBoonee (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 7

Wow.

Thank you all for your kind welcoming.

I've been busy with work the last couple of days with work, so I haven't gotten my five posts filled yet to post my first story, but I am so glad to see that you guys are interested in a guy like me writing on your (should I say our?) forum. It's something that I cannot wait to do so I can get some feedback (good or bad).

See you all around and again thank you for your words.
-Greg
Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 AM
cincyforums (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

I was impressed with your introduction. I've read over 1000 intros on different forums and I must say that yours is one of the most original and creative. I thought it was kind of funny not to be sure about which side of the border you were born on; especially in the Western world. Yeah, it's an idea for a story or topic for discussion. LOL. I'm new here but an experienced writer. I'm adding you to my friend's list.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:53 AM
Nadja

Welcome TuxedoBoonee. Just read this thread and I'm really impressed by what you say about playing the bass guitar (wonderful instrument!) in those particular styles. Great stuff!
(Oh, yes, sorry, forgot these are meant to be writing forums..)
Old 12-21-2010, 02:28 PM
TuxedoBoonee (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 7

Thanks. I appreciate your kind words.
This is a great site and I'm happy to see that my intro stood out.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:30 PM
TuxedoBoonee (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 7

Originally Posted by Nadja View Post
Welcome TuxedoBoonee. Just read this thread and I'm really impressed by what you say about playing the bass guitar (wonderful instrument!) in those particular styles. Great stuff!
(Oh, yes, sorry, forgot these are meant to be writing forums..)
I'm not sure if I'm a fan of this statement. Are you criticizing my posting of mentioning I play an instrument or am I mis-reading it?

Last edited by TuxedoBoonee; 12-21-2010 at 09:38 PM..
Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 PM
LurkingDarkness (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 39

Greetings, and Welcome.

Very nice intro, well put together and straightforward. Welcome to the Beat! Take a stroll around and get to know some people. You may have some troubles finding me though . . . I Lurk XP.

Enjoy your stay, don't be shy and make yourself at home =]!

LurkingDarkness
Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Nadja

=.

Last edited by Nadja; 12-26-2010 at 05:09 AM..
Old 12-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

I am not suppose to be on here, but now and then I can trade a pack of smokes with the guy that runs the prison library and get about 30min on the computer. Nice intro. Now that I know where you live I will come by when I get out of here for a visit. I am almost done with my fifteen year stint for a double murder I swear I didn't commit. Sounds like you got some nice stuff. We'll see.

Welcome and enjoy.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:29 PM
TuxedoBoonee (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 7

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
I am not suppose to be on here, but now and then I can trade a pack of smokes with the guy that runs the prison library and get about 30min on the computer. Nice intro. Now that I know where you live I will come by when I get out of here for a visit. I am almost done with my fifteen year stint for a double murder I swear I didn't commit. Sounds like you got some nice stuff. We'll see.

Welcome and enjoy.
Is this supposed to be funny? I know you're joking. But that is not funny. And I would appreciate an apology.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Redlorry

Hi TuxedoBoonee

Wow, long name, I would abbreviate as I often do, but I don't think you would appreciate TB, lol.

Anyway, welcome to WB. As already mentioned we are a diverse bunch from all about the globe. People here bring all sorts of qualities and experience which enhance everyone's enjoyment and can be a boon to your writing.

Don't get too hung up on the jokers, they're just saying hello in their own special way, they keep the place nice and cheery. There are many here who will do their best to grab a grin in the shape of the most silly and bizarre comments. It's all good.

I can't believe you made sixteen posts without anyone mentioning FAQs. They're towards the top left of your screen and by reading them you can get a good feel for how the place works.

Now pull up a chair by our fireside and share a tale or two with us. I look forward to seeing you about the forum.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:22 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 483

Originally Posted by TuxedoBoonee View Post
Is this supposed to be funny? I know you're joking. But that is not funny. And I would appreciate an apology.
Though it was a joke, I think Gaines has a point about the amount of info you're sharing. Name, birthday, hometown, and what cool/expensive stuff you own? We're friendly people, but the internet is still a world of strangers. One of my friends was conned into an abusive relationship and later stalked by a guy who found her on Facebook and realized they were in the same town. A little discretion with personal information is a must! So take care.

And welcome to the forums! I hope to see some of your writing around.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 AM
winterstorm (Offline)
Fist of Fury

Thanks 62

Yeah that's some nice info for a stalker to enjoy...but

Welcome to the Writersbeat, hope to see you around the forums. May your time here be lovely.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:17 AM
cincyforums (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

He's a friendly guy. Friendly people should be protected from those who want everybody miserable. I know somebody who is a forumer and has a signature that says "Fight crime. Shoot back."

Old 12-23-2010, 01:03 PM
TuxedoBoonee (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 7

Originally Posted by winterstorm View Post
Yeah that's some nice info for a stalker to enjoy...
I have said the name of my city and what kind of scooter I drive. It would take a lot of effort to discover just who I am. If someone, albeit a soon-to-be paroled prisoner running on cigarette-computer time or just some plain ol' fashioned to-catch-a-predator, puts in so much effort to discover me through those means, I think I'll be more flattered than worried. But that's just me.

As for the different senses of humor, I do appreciate the fact that you guys are reading my intro and giving your words, whether odd or not. The fact that I'm being welcomed so warmly by you guys as a member of the forum community. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:44 PM
winterstorm (Offline)
Fist of Fury

Thanks 62
Default Good.

Welcome boy.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions