WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Spring/Summer Contest Comment Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:46 AM
norvbrooks (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 19
Icon6 The Deserted Road - Purpose

Aurilia - from your response, I'm getting the understanding that Harristown, Pleasantview and the Del Mar dam are fictional. I completely bought the idea that you wrote about an actual place and event. Great job!

The Following User Says Thank You to norvbrooks For This Useful Post:
Aurilia (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Aurilia (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 8

Originally Posted by norvbrooks View Post
Aurilia - from your response, I'm getting the understanding that Harristown, Pleasantview and the Del Mar dam are fictional. I completely bought the idea that you wrote about an actual place and event. Great job!
Based heavily on reality, but not actually real. Thankee!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 AM
norvbrooks (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 19
Icon6 Word Vault Contest - Wedding Days

Agatha - nicely done! I liked it.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Mkasel (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Really great, love your voice!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:11 AM
<3Less (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 160

I really enjoyed the theme for this contest, not that I have entered any others as i am still relatively new to this site, but the theme was just so...open.

I can honestly say, when I wrote mine, at first I couldn't tell what kind of story I wanted. I kept writing a first paragraph over and over, and probably spent the most time on the story just trying to get the initial paragraph to spark a story in my mind. I love writing, and i love contests like this.

Last edited by <3Less; 06-23-2012 at 07:48 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Rocker (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 76

I am pretty incredulous... at the time of writing this the combined views of the Prose voting thread is approx 180, yet has only had 7 votes cast!!!
And the Poetry shows the same signs of apathy.. 120 views and only 6 votes cast.... and of that total of 13 votes I've cast 4 of them!!!!

Are people actually aware there is a contest going on, and that they are eligible to vote...or is this forum just populated by disinterested passing perusers?

Yes, I've seen luckyme adding a quick note about the contest and voting to several comments and posts, but that relies on people reading that particular post. And yes, there is a contest specific post directing people to the entries and urging them to vote but, it appears to be hookless..

I know you can lead a horse to water and all that, but perhaps it's time to to grab it by the neck and thrust its head into the trough until it DOES drink!

Can admin not send out a blanket spam message to all members urging them to vote.. and maybe keep sending it at regular intervals until the deadline?

I'm just at a loss to understand why people don't want to participate in this...even most of the entrants, to a certain extent, who have taken the time and effort in the first place to enter have obviously not yet voted... it's all very peculiar.

Good luck to everyone in it anyway.

And for those of you have voted, get across there and do it now!!

My Musical Memoirs Blog:
Life is what happens when the music stops:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Poetry Blog: Reaching the parts of your mind that other blogs merely make a feint at..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rocker For This Useful Post:
<3Less (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 03:07 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 703

Rocker,
I know where you're coming from, and I do feel the same. So help me out, if you reply, do a crit, give feedback, drop a line about the Contest and urge people to vote, because we do not spam or force our horses to drink.

There's actually people out there who do not even seem to know we have a contest, let alone that any member is eligible to vote.

Spread the word, I like to think it isn't a lack of interest, but merely a lack of knowledge of the existence of out wonderful WBQ and its contests.

Edit:
You do know that you had only two votes for the entire poetry section, did you? As you do for the prose poll. Use them in one poll or divided among the two.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

To add to what has been said, and to answer some of your questions.

The view count on the polling threads counts all views, which includes internet bots, members every time they open the thread and quite a few from when we, the staff, make the threads and cheek them and so on. As for the level of voting, often people wait until the last day or two, as they need time to read and decide for a favourite. Also some members simply do not care, while others might not be aware. Hence why we have the announcements and links in place. If people do not read announcements then there is nothing we can do.

We tried mass PM/emails in the past, and while they might get a few people to come and look we got consistent feedback that people did not like the mass PM/email for various reasons.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests