WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Great Debates

Old 05-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Myers (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 206

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Several of my friends have gotten a lot of good hard use out of all wheel drive Subaru's. My only issue is that some of them have been needlessly upsized, as the trend to larger almost SUVs continues.

As a ute, I helped my dad build a few guitars,a fiddle, dulcimers and an odd banjo. But I know very little about electric guitars, pickups, other parts. I do know that back in the 70s and 80s there were,and still are places that sell parts to build your own guitar. I may still have Dad's acoustic guitar and dulcimer jigs stored someplace.....Getting appropriate wood could be an issue.
I'm a used car guy. I hate spending money on a depreciating asset. But after doing the research -- with the service and safety record and great resale value, we went with a new Outback -- toward the lower end without as many bells and whistles. It's a great car. It doesn't feel needlessly large. It's spacious, but about right for a family.

Anyone who can make a playable, decent sounding instrument deserves props. I've watched the process -- and it's pretty complex. But of all the stringed instruments, I supposed a solid body electric is the least difficult. The acoustics aren't so tied into the shape and construction.

Yeah -- you can still get kits of varying complexity. I was thinking about buying one for a lap steel guitar -- which is comparatively pretty simple. But I knew I wouldn't have the patience or the time to build it. Like Clint Eastwood said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Old 05-09-2017, 02:45 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

https://youtu.be/mjqgliGgvt0
Old 05-09-2017, 03:41 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

I rented an new Ford F150 for a one day work detail and it was just decidedly OK. And even with it's aluminum bed and "ECOBOOST" engine the fuel economy was way below what is advertised. I guess that's why they always say YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

I have an old (78) F250 farm truck, and talk about character........lo.

In the pickup debate I probably side with a one ton SRW pickup.

I own and drive one of those f150's with the ECOBOOST engine daily. It's got a ladder rack and tool boxes on it. I don't carry a ton of material or tools on my truck, but yeah, mileage is still not great. I like the power of the motor, but I think my next truck will be a Dodge. I drove a friends new one the other day and was impressed.

I do like the power for acceleration with the ford though. That turbo is nice.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 881

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Can't be viewed in UK because of copyright....
Old 05-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 206

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Heh. I've seen that.

I've got one of those Silvertone 1400 series amps you see in the video. Mine's the 1483 that originally came with a 1-15" cab. They were pretty cheap originally -- the head housing and cab are made of fiberboard. That was disintegrating when I bought it. I kept it together with duct tape for as long as I could.

I took it to a guy and asked him how much it would be to rebuild, with new tolex etc. It was outrageous. But he offered to build it into a combo with a wood finish for a lot less. I went for that. The speaker was kind of bad, so I went with a new 12." It looks really cool -- like an old radio.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:30 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
Can't be viewed in UK because of copyright....

Google: jack white builds guitar
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (05-09-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 03:46 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 339

I rented an new Ford F150 for a one day work detail and it was just decidedly OK. And even with it's aluminum bed and "ECOBOOST" engine the fuel economy was way below what is advertised. I guess that's why they always say YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

I have an old (78) F250 farm truck, and talk about character........lo.

In the pickup debate I probably side with a one ton SRW pickup.
I don't even worry about the mileage. I get 8 miles to the gallon no matter what, but considering what I paid for my old dually (600 bucks), I can buy a lot of gas.

And character she has plenty of.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table