WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Guns and flags.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Death by wiffle ball bat.

Bring a lunch - this is gonna take a while.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:15 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 342

Yep, graffiti. And at night they shine lasers on it and it brainwashes people into being racist. Because racism is not the individual's choice but something found in a historical relic. That and the fact that racism was the only reason for the civil war. Not the locus of control or exploitation of taxes. It was all about melanin.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:16 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

i'll differ on the main reason for the civil war - I think it was because the fed and the northern states were trying to take away the free (slave) labor.

and Lincoln said it was because he didn't believe the southern states had the right to secede - so the civil war started I won't say by which side. I think it was both.

and wiffle bats hurt.

max
Old 06-22-2015, 01:39 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

To effectively employ a wiffle bat as a weapon you need to make contact with the back swing as well as the front swing. You can't be losin' all that reset energy (and time) if you expect your playmate to take you seriously.

Ooops, looks like I've wandered off topic.

So shoot me.

Hey! HEY! Point that somewhere else.
It's just a figure of speech.

Sheesh - why you guys gotta take everything so literal like around here?
Old 06-22-2015, 03:23 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 815

You see Mike? It just ends up in this big circular argument where the stupid people quote Fox News sound bites, and the smart people rehash the same old logical truth of the matter, to no avail. It's endless.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
daes13 (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
You see Mike? It just ends up in this big circular argument where the stupid people quote Fox News sound bites, and the smart people rehash the same old logical truth of the matter, to no avail. It's endless.

So does this mean I don't get to ask what those things are in the hands of that critter on the Bhutan flag?
Old 06-22-2015, 05:47 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 815

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
So does this mean I don't get to ask what those things are in the hands of that critter on the Bhutan flag?

No mystery, they're Ben Wa balls... I thought everybody knew that?
Old 06-22-2015, 07:54 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

who's Ben Wa and doesn't he need the balls?

changed my mind on the removal of the confederate flag in South Carolina, it was on the capital grounds but it was on a civil war memorial and it should stay.

as much as I would like to see this case go to the supreme court and them rule to take the flag off state grounds and set the precedent to remove other such things from capital ground - like the ten commandments.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:38 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 815

Ben Wa willingly gave his balls so that 'she' could enjoy constant pleasure. Sacrifice for a woman. There are benefits, I'm sure.

The United States is a young country. It was hijacked in the late sixties and is making a slow comeback. We will eventually get it right. It just takes time.
Capitalism at its worst is now in control, but the model is self-mutilating and can't last indefinitely.

Pretty sure it's going to get worse before it gets better. Americans are hard-headed, and don't change easily.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Alien (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 12

The alien entered this thread feeling nostalgic, he hoped for some heated arguments, name calling , and rants of old. He was sadly disappointed.
"That was surprisingly civil." he commented
After that observation he decided to weigh in: "Guns are great they're used to take down flags and put up new ones, which will eventually be taken down by more guns to be replaced by more flags."

On that the alien made a decision "Lets not go to earth, tis a silly place"

On that note (not realizing that he had completely failed his goal--to say something of controversy) decided to end his post by clicking (or rather taping) the quick reply button.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Yes, I forgot. I'm sorry I wasted everybody's time.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:47 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 815

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Yes, I forgot. I'm sorry I wasted everybody's time.

Maybe you would have better luck with a thread about the existence of a historical Christ. That one really brings out the heat.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:56 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Only if we could prove that he was shot.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:19 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 342

Honestly, all jokes aside, I met a guy at the dog park with a gun on his hip. The one guy in Georgia that really shouldn't own a gun. I think a combination of an IQ test, psychiatric test, and safety course should be administered to everyone that wants to own a gun. That being said, the sight of him with a gun, and the illegal AKs for $350 down the street, make me want to get a gun.

As for the flag, if people see racism in it then that's a good thing. Maybe it will remind them how not to be.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:37 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by non serviam View Post
we should flagellate you for that pun.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:38 AM
CandraH

Its not racism that kills people, its people who kill people.

Its not guns that kill people, its people who kill people.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:56 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post

Please explain this concept to my truck. It keeps tellin' me it exceeds the posted speed limit because it wants to.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:08 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 815

Are you saying we should ban people? That sounds a little harsh.

Seriously though, drugs don't kill people, it's people...

Speeding in your car doesn't kill people, it's people...

I'd like to own a small nuclear missile. Not to blow-up, I just think they're cool. I'm a collector of rare and cool things.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

It's not guns that kill people.

It's people with guns that kill churchgoers, cinema goers, schoolkids, college kids, co-workers...

If a white kid goes to school with a gun and blows kids away, or to a church prayer meeting and kills off some of the worshippers, it's a tragedy, an isolated incident, lessons must be learned, blah blah ad nauseum. The latest shooting was written off by an NRA official as an 'accident' that highlighted the need to tighten up laws on... drugs. Had that white kid been a muslim kid, or a black kid, we'd have rioting outside mosques or a crackdown on gangs, but because it's a white kids, hey, just another 'isolated incident'.

Obama's suggestion that gun laws needed closer examination was met by howls of "Government control!" "Big brother!"

How relevant, really, is a constitutional right that was penned in a different time, under different circumstances, by people who had no idea how perverted that right might become? Would they still have granted that right had they known?
Old 06-23-2015, 08:24 AM
uncephalized (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 70

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
How relevant, really, is a constitutional right that was penned in a different time, under different circumstances, by people who had no idea how perverted that right might become? Would they still have granted that right had they known?
Regardless of the strength of your points, the Second Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights, which have been with us since ratification of the Constitution. It is inordinately difficult to amend the Constitution. The last time it happened was 1992, though, so maybe we're due for one. Rural folks are VERY fond of the Second Amendment, however.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:53 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

Originally Posted by uncephalized View Post
Regardless of the strength of your points, the Second Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights, which have been with us since ratification of the Constitution. It is inordinately difficult to amend the Constitution. The last time it happened was 1992, though, so maybe we're due for one. Rural folks are VERY fond of the Second Amendment, however.
what is the second amendment>
the right to bare guns?
what amendment is that that says
in god we trust?? or thrust?
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon

Last edited by Nacia; 06-23-2015 at 08:55 AM..
Old 06-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

to a certain extent you are right but people kill faster and more when in charge of a gun
mentally they discharge the responsibility that they killed someone because they are convinced it is the gun that did it
it is psychologically twisted but that is the reality of it.
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 06-23-2015, 09:00 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 815

How do they handle hunting rifles in England? Are those illegal to own?
Old 06-23-2015, 09:02 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 815

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post

Dirty girl... I like the way you think.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 09:04 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 342

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
what is the second amendment>
the right to bare guns?
what amendment is that that says
In God we trust was proclaimed the U.S. Motto in 1956, not in 1776. It's not an amendment.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:07 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Just saw a Fox news guy throw an ax at a target. The ax went over the target and cut the wrist of a fella who was drum practicing with his mates on the other side.

Now I'm not suggesting we should ban ax throwing but a closer look at the qualifications of those throwing them might be in order.

Crap! Off topic again!

Aw, c'mon - not the flagpole!

I'm still sore from the last time.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by daes13 View Post
In God we trust was proclaimed the U.S. Motto in 1956, not in 1776. It's not an amendment.
A direct response to the spreading of ... ugh ... communism.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:10 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

god, and I use that term only trying to blow on the embers of this rapidly decaying thread.

I was disappointed this morning when I clicked on my computer, and rush as quickly as the little electrons could move to this thread. I need my daily dose of adrenaline to push me through my other wise dreary day of cutting hay and waiting till tomorrow for it to dry so I can bale it.

I was sadly disappointed that the only additions I took slight exception to were a very small,

if mike had said 'criminals' instead of 'people' I would have no problem with the statement
It's people with guns that kill churchgoers, cinema goers, schoolkids, college kids, co-workers...

I doubt he can support his NRA commit with 'black and white' proof but it may have been sarcasm. we don't have a punctuation mark for that.

as far as the white kid blowing away fellow students I can agree unless he kills a black kid, then there will be hell to pay.

I wish I could disagree but, he's right about this part, if the kid had been Muslim, he would have been branded as a terrorist, if he was black it would have been branded gang related. that brand would have been put there by the press.

I doubt there would have been a riot. lately riots only seem to occur when it is a white on black incident or the local electronics store just got in some 52 inch smart TVs that need looting.

as far as tightening gun laws - I hope he's (Obama) talking about person to person sales, and gun show sales. as I have said before I sell guns "person to person sales" almost every day. I don't sale to people that make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. but I can't tell if they are right in the head sometimes. I wish I had some litmus test like the background check to make me feel better sometimes. in those cases I don't make the sale.

some states are requiring gun buyers to be preapprove (standard background check like a dealer would do) to buy a gun before they can get one at a gun show or to make a person to person sale legal.

It's a very good idea that I would have no problem with.

I don't think we can toss out any part of the constitution without putting cracks in the entire structure. That's why we add laws to bring it up to date.

now to start an argument and get my fix for the day - even though I will be in and out - there is one part of the constitution that seems to be eroding away, because the powers-that-be don't see it as a problem -- it more or less ignored by everyone but the supreme court. and that is the separation of church and state. now the constriction's only word on the subject is, I'll para-phrase because I don't want to look it up. 'The federal government will not establish a national religion.'

putting the ten commandant on the lawn of the state capital is the state establishing a national, or at lest a state religion. and it is far more subversive that putting the confederate flag on a war memorial.

how that for todays thought.

got to go cut some hay. be back in a few hours.

enjoy

Max
Old 06-23-2015, 09:19 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by daes13 View Post
that's also the year it was added to the pledge of allegiance to the flag. and the ALCU still can't get it removed, so we just don't stand and say the pledge ate the beginning of the school day anymore -

I wonder who lost because, 'under god' was not allowed to be remove from that pledge.

gotta go. I will not read more

fingers in ears ---- la la la lal a la maybe that should be hands over eyes.

Max
Old 06-23-2015, 09:35 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

How do they handle hunting rifles in England? Are those illegal to own?
Legal to own, with certain provisos.

Most common is the shotgun. You have to prove you need one (ie a farmer, or somebody with a grudge against ducks). Then you have to have a report from your doctor to say you aren't a homicidal lunatic. Then police checks to show you aren't of criminal intent. Then you have to show that you have an approved gun cabinet where the gun can be locked away when not in use. Then you go before the local magistates court and if every box is ticked, they grant you a license.

Easy? No. Do we have many gun deaths? No.

Not sure about the process for hunting rifles but I assume it's similar.

Handguns you can own, but you can't take home. You need a license, and the gun stays locked up in your local gun club when not in use, and only gets used at the club shooting range. If you're a competitive shooter you need a permit to take it from one place to another.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table