WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

The Madness of May

Old 05-04-2017, 09:38 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 142
Default The Madness of May

Is Theresa May stark raving bonkers?

I enjoyed that brief few months when we Brits could snigger at Americans electing a loony. How I miss those days.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:17 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

Was Ms. May elected? I thought she inherited the job from the last croney you people elected. That sniveling US lap dog... what was his name?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:56 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 142

Macaroon.

You are right. She wasn't elected nationally, or even within the strict confines of her own party which prefers to fix things behind the scenes. But she's an MP so her constituents voted for her.

And judging by the English local elections being batshit mental isn't hurting her popularity.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:36 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 676

Firstly, I think the idea that someone can run a country is a fantasy. So I'm not much into personality cults.

But... could we get some specifics on the bat shit mental front? -- is it her attempt to be tough with Juncker 'n' co?

For me, there has been an agenda to centralise power in Europe for a long long time. One currency, one government (effectively), one army, the end game is for Europe to be a unified bloc with the strongest states at the helm; particularly Germany.

After the dissolution of the Soviet Union I guess it made sense strategically for Europe to expand its influence into traditionally Russian territory. I think the contest for this territory has taken place in one form or another between Russia and Germany for centuries.

That's really why the US and all the real elites are so vociferously in favour of the EU. The mantra of 'we're stronger together' doesn't really want to look at the economic state of southern Europe, but rather is focussed on geopolitics and spheres of influence.

The rhetoric I've heard since way before Brexit has always indicated that the EU couldn't allow for defection to go unpunished. Because if Brexit is a nice smooth process resulting in things like increased sovereignty and economic stability -- we're talking domino effect.

I'm not saying economic prosperity and increased sovereignty are two givens for Brexit so long as it is not sabotaged -- only that there is a well communicated incentive to dampen any potential successes.

So May and anyone who is looking to oversee Brexit will find themselves in a very difficult position with the EU playing hardball. Therefore it doesn't surprise me that cracks in relations are already showing.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:38 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 142

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post
Firstly, I think the idea that someone can run a country is a fantasy. So I'm not much into personality cults.

But... could we get some specifics on the bat shit mental front? -- is it her attempt to be tough with Juncker 'n' co?

For me, there has been an agenda to centralise power in Europe for a long long time. One currency, one government (effectively), one army, the end game is for Europe to be a unified bloc with the strongest states at the helm; particularly Germany.

After the dissolution of the Soviet Union I guess it made sense strategically for Europe to expand its influence into traditionally Russian territory. I think the contest for this territory has taken place in one form or another between Russia and Germany for centuries.

That's really why the US and all the real elites are so vociferously in favour of the EU. The mantra of 'we're stronger together' doesn't really want to look at the economic state of southern Europe, but rather is focussed on geopolitics and spheres of influence.

The rhetoric I've heard since way before Brexit has always indicated that the EU couldn't allow for defection to go unpunished. Because if Brexit is a nice smooth process resulting in things like increased sovereignty and economic stability -- we're talking domino effect.

I'm not saying economic prosperity and increased sovereignty are two givens for Brexit so long as it is not sabotaged -- only that there is a well communicated incentive to dampen any potential successes.

So May and anyone who is looking to oversee Brexit will find themselves in a very difficult position with the EU playing hardball. Therefore it doesn't surprise me that cracks in relations are already showing.
OK, you want for instances. First she calls an election on the pretext of there being an opposition who oppose her. All these nasty non-tories who don't agree and give her a rough ride getting legislation through. Well, that's democracy, ain't it? In any case an election won't affect dissenting voices, especially in the Lords which isn't elected.

So having called this unnecessary election she then starts throwing around accusations that the EU is trying to influence it by not rolling over and agreeing to all her demands. She calls this 'making threats'. All she's actually doing is stirring up a lot of anti EU resentment to help her electoral chances while simultaneously pissing off the rest of the EU who we were hoping would be willing to give us some sort of a trade deal.

That's before we go into her bizarre electioneering, which consists of visiting remote locations where the media are either excluded or sworn to secrecy, or factories where all the pesky workers have been removed so no one can heckle her. She refuses to do live debates with other party leaders, and the public appearances she does agree to consist of robotic repetition of buzz phrases like 'strong and stable' and attacks on the opposition leaders.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of Brexit and whatever you feel about the EU she is not the 'strong and stable' pair of hands she claims to be and is clearly making a pig's ear of the negotiations already. Far from uniting the country she is stoking more division with her political shenanigans. And the funniest part is none of this was necessary. Cameron called a referendum to placate the right wing of his party, never expecting to lose. All that has followed is farce.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:25 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

We could have had Hillary or Trump here. To some that might sound like there's a choice, but really it was a choice between killer bees or hornets in your yard. Both will sting you, maybe to death.

Although, bees pollinate plants and hornets eat lots of nasty bugs you don't want around.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:26 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

Glad to see you Brits are just as stupid as us Americans on the whole😆
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
flyingtart (05-06-2017), Gaines (05-06-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 11:46 PM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 676

I dunno, all sounds a bit overblown.

People who are against the Conservatives have been going on about the fact that May isn't elected ever since she came to power. I guess that's just an easy way to discredit. So, with momentum in her favour she calls an election, people then get upset because it's unnecessary and her win is a given. To be honest if I kept hearing the word 'unelected' thrown around and I knew I had a majority I'd probably do the same thing; seems pretty rational.

I really have NO IDEA what is going on in terms of the 'negotiations', I haven't heard anyone give any details as to what has taken place thus far or what the main contentions might be between Britain and Europe. So I can't really say that I know whether there have been any major blunders on the part of the conservatives. I wonder if anyone here could enlighten me?

The EU has to make threats, and have been ever since Brexit became a possibility, so nothing new there. Juncker saying that May is on another planet will probably have some kind of affect on the election, whether that's the intention is debatable.

I've never really understood stuff like 'unity' when it comes to politics; at least in the context of Britain in 2017. Politically I rarely find anyone who thinks the way I do -- and I'm not sure any politician would change that. I think the idea that we're a monolith is a fantasy, and being unified isn't necessarily desirable, or definable (what does it actually mean?). We devolved powers to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland because people are different and we need diversity in decision making (diversity in decision making is key to avoid autocracy and really stands at variance with the whole EU programme). Power should be diffuse and not concentrated, wherever it is concentrated bad stuff occurs.

And fuck the Lords
Old 05-06-2017, 06:04 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 142

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Glad to see you Brits are just as stupid as us Americans on the whole😆
Oh, the UK is about as stupid as it gets. You only have to look at our foreign secretary.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:44 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

Yes, well, when I see you people on TV, you always sound so smart.

The French act as though they 'own' intelligence, but it looks like maybe they're just smart monkeys like the rest of us. We'll see here in a bit.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:32 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 142

The British (mainly English) ruling class have managed very successfully to perpetuate the myth that talking like you have a cock in your mouth makes you superior. It's how they built an empire, don't you know, old chap. But scratch the veneer and you'll find they're just a bunch of basket cases like everyone else. You yanks don't have the monopoly of idiocy.

I rest my case.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:58 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 142

Have you voted yet?
Old 06-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,257

[QUOTE=flyingtart;

You yanks don't have the monopoly of idiocy.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe not.
But it is startin' to look like we got a president who could give seminars on the subject.
flyingtart (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 02:19 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 142

Exit poll suggests May made a catastrophic blunder in calling the election and could have lost her majority. If this transpires she'll be gone by lunchtime.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:19 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Have you voted yet?

Yes... I voted for Ms. May because she is so sexy!
Old 06-08-2017, 04:00 PM
Myers (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 206

I just voted today in one the highest profile and most expensive congressional races ever...
Old 06-08-2017, 04:19 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 142

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Yes... I voted for Ms. May because she is so sexy!
Pervert.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:20 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Pervert.

Yes
Old 06-08-2017, 04:21 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

These are the fliers we got of her makeover. I'd say those docs did a pretty bang-up job, no?

Old 06-08-2017, 09:15 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 142

Now she might have won.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:30 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 142

Who are the DUP? No, not a courier service as it turns out, but a shady bunch of religious bigots with even shadier paramilitary connections, currently under investigation for corrupt practices in the Northern lreland administration. And as of today they are Batshit Treeza's best mates. When will this madness end?
Old 06-11-2017, 06:30 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,257

[QUOTE=flyingtart

When will this madness end?

[/QUOTE]

Is it truly a supposition with you that the condition you characterize as "madness" actually does have an end point?

Over here we know we are only changing hats as elections go on.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:32 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,257

[QUOTE=Nick Pierce

Over here we know we are only changing hats as elections go on.

[/QUOTE]

What?
That was a secret?

Aw crap.
Now I'm gonna be branded as a leaker, I suppose.

Such a bother.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table