WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Writing with your favorite songs

Old 09-17-2013, 06:05 AM
LeWriter (Offline)
Living and then some

Thanks 181
Default Writing with your favorite songs

I believe most of you write with the company of good music.

But what, would you consider to be good music?

Here are some of my favorite songs by whom I consider the greatest bands/artists that have walked the earth;

Something/Paperback writer/Yellow Submarine/Hey Jude/Lady Madonna - Beatles (obviously)

Let's do it'; let's fall in love/You do something to me/C'est magnifique - Cole Porter

This is country music/He didn't have to be/Whiskey Lullaby - Brad Paisley

Other artists/bands ; Bon Iver/Coldplay/Presley/James Blunt/James Morrison/Justin Timberlake/Westlife/Ed Sheeran

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:55 AM
CandyCane (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 195

for me good music is something bouncy, I love love love Nickleback, How you remind me, someday and satellites in the sky are my fave. I'm also a big fan of Eminem.

sadly with 3 kids and a hopeless hubby my usual background sounds while I write are screaming, shouting and "mummmmmmy XXX hurt meeeee" I find I write faster with them like that too lol.

"finishing this paragraph before they bleed out" kinda thing
Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Britt (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 16

It really depends on my mood and what type of scene I'm wanting to write.

If I'm writing a character death, I'll generally listen to something dark and depressive to put me in the right mood.

If I'm writing an action scene, I like to listen to Eminem or Kid Rock.

If I'm writing, say, an explosive, yet emotionally charged scene, I listen to Manafest or some really expressive Country Music.

And as far as general scenes and/or ideas, I like to listen to Country Music.

My favorite songs to write to, though, would have to be... Avalanche (by Manafest), anything by Eminem, anything by Kid Rock, and just about any Country Song... I can usually get a vibe with just about any lyrics.

"Death is but a word."
Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Jonas Rath (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I normally just leave my Winamp and its 2080 or so songs on shuffle...
Old 09-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Front&Centre (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 199

I've only recently begun to understand the magic of writing to quiet music.
I'm a total classical fan wannabe. I know a few composers, but really, I just type 'instrumental classical music' into youtube, and click on the longest of the results that come up. I crank the volume way down, though, I want to just be able to hear the tinkle of the piano above the sound of my typing.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:37 PM
egrizzly (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 57
Default depends

...for me good music would really depend on the type of material that was getting penned. for general writing you'll find me listening to classical (Mozart), or jazz (with a lot of sax spread over the tunes).

...when I write military fiction its different though. because I want to get in the zone I probably play soundtracks from movies like "Black Hawk Down". It gets me in the "zone"
Old 11-12-2013, 10:23 PM
TimBowe (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

I don't think I could write to music
Old 11-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

I can't, if its music I love, I am distracted, if its music I hate I'm irritated and distracted.

I prefer the TV. I can ignore that.
fleamailman (11-14-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

I'm inspired by music and wine they go very well with pen and paper.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:20 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

believe most of you write with the company of good music. But what, would you consider to be good music?
("...well whenever my mind stalls, it's usually when I note that the music is wrong tempo to what I'm writing, so I change gears on a large collection of musics by hitting the next button..." mentioned the goblin going the a placebo phase at this point, mixed in with buckethead too, but then adding "...ok, so the fuel is caffeine, the gear box in the music, the laptop is the portal, and you, my imagined readers, are my company on this journey to self here...", while outside the dull passing day just reminded the goblin that if he didn't master his escapism soon he'd be stuck in his reality)

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-21-2013 at 03:45 AM..
Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 595

I'll have to go with Chopin and Debussy or even some Combichrist for the heck of wanting some attitude.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:31 AM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 595

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
("...well whenever my mind stalls, it's usually when I note that the music is wrong tempo to what I'm writing, so I change gears on a large collection of musics by hitting the next button..." mentioned the goblin going the a placebo phase at this point, mixed in with buckethead too, but then adding "...ok, so the fuel is caffeine, the gear box in the music, the laptop is the portal, and you, my imagined readers, are my company on this journey to self here...", while outside the dull passing day just reminded the goblin that if he didn't master his escapism soon he'd be stuck in reality)
I seriously cannot stop but amuse myself at your responses.
Who on earth is the "Goblin"?
Amusing and very bizarre.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

("...me, I'm just another livewriter, that is someone who writes in their posts I suppose..." replied the goblin not really understanding what that meant nor where it was going, but hoping to make some friends here, adding "...at your service then, where you'll write with me won't you, for I can't bring those readers here all by myself now, but just perhaps if there is enough of us, then readers will come here to pass their time by reading our posts, that's all then, but it's not a bad idea in its way...")
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
NokturnalMe (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 PM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 595

("...me, I'm just another livewriter, that is someone who writes in their posts I suppose..." replied the goblin not really understanding what that meant nor where it was going, but hoping to make some friends here, adding "...at your service then, where you'll write with me won't you, for I can't bring those readers here all by myself now, but just perhaps if there is enough of us, then readers will come here to pass their time by reading our posts, that's all then, but it's not a bad idea in its way...")

Madness at it's highest form.
I cannot stop giggling.
fleamailman (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 01:28 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

Madness at it's highest form. I cannot stop giggling.
("...then let us laugh together and together we'll away now..." smiled the goblin in return, who didn't want to hijack this thread but who had seen NokturnalMe's talent by now by looking over her posts then, oh yes, goblins were not to be trusted, adding "...well, there's an edit thread in this section here, and although it's not mine I do seem live there because I like adding pictures to my posts, why not just take any one of your wonderful posts, add a picture to it if you like, and then give it to me there then, simply I'll keep you company and the forum does so lavish attention upon those that it finds interesting...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-19-2013 at 09:26 AM..
Old 11-14-2013, 01:32 PM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 595

("...then let us laugh together and together we'll away now..." smiled the goblin in return, who didn't want to hijack this thread but who had seen NokturnalMe's talent by now by looking over her posts then, oh yes, goblins were not to be trusted, adding "...well, there's an edit thread in this section here, and although it's not mine I do seem live there because I like to adding pictures, why not just take any one of your wonderful posts, add a picture to it if you like, and then give it to me there then, simply I'll keep you company and the forum does so lavish attention upon those that it finds interesting...")
I have to read your quirks thrice to understand.
But if I can read correctly, you wish for pictures, Mister Goblin?
fleamailman (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 01:40 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

("...nah I certainly don't wish for any pictures of you or anyone else here, hate that with a passion, but no I love matching pictures to my texts, but understandably I only do that upon the edit thread here, otherwise the forum would be awash with pictures now..." mentioned the goblin who then linked the thread in question then, adding "...btw I added a poem because I suspect that is your type of thing...")

http://forums.writersbeat.com/showth...30923&page=139
Old 11-14-2013, 01:42 PM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 595

("...nah I certainly don't wish for any pictures of you or anyone else here, hate that with a passion, but no I love matching pictures to my texts, but understandably I only do that upon the edit thread here, otherwise the forum would be awash with pictures now..." mentioned the goblin who then linked the thread in question then, adding "...btw I added a poem because I suspect that is your type of thing...")

http://forums.writersbeat.com/showth...30923&page=139
The pictures? Well I enjoyed it. Digital art at its peak dear Goblin!
fleamailman (11-14-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 12:52 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

The pictures? Well I enjoyed it. Digital art at its peak dear Goblin!
("...not much to it really, one just writes something and then adds a picture to it..." replied the goblin suspecting that if related that he was listening to music while shamlessly hijacking this thread as well, moddy and the aardvark would forgive him till he returned to his den once more, continuing "...boils down to three goals I suppose, a writer's way with words, an illustrator's eye, and a credible persona now...", which was usually the point where the goblin had to explain that writing in third person obligated one to choose a persona, adding "...odd thing that, I mean people remember someone's pets more than they do their names, so I guess one uses a persona to be remembered by while using a unique username to help readers find one's other threads across forumland...", whereupon the goblin could now hear the patter of paws, suspecting that the creature with a long sticky tongue and sharp nails was fast approaching, the goblin had to think quick here, "...yes, what if I link something more in tune with this forum now...")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdwLp0co6C0

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-15-2013 at 10:26 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 01:25 AM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 595

My favorite songs would also be Combichrist. I don't know if I mentioned this but it does provide for some thigh thumping.

("...not much to it really, one just writes something and then adds a picture to it..." replied the goblin suspecting that if related that he was listening to music while shamlessly hijacking this thread as well, moddy and the aardvark would forgive him till he returned to his den once more, continuing "...boils down to three goals I suppose, a writer's way with words, an illustrator's eye, and a credible persona now...", which was usually the point where the goblin had to explain that writing in third person obligated one to choose a persona, adding "...odd thing that, I mean people remember someone's pets more than they do their names, so I guess one uses a persona to be remembered by while using a unique username to help readers find one's other threads across forumland...", whereupon the goblin could now hear the patter of paws, suspecting that the creature with a long sticky tongue and sharp nails was fast approaching, the goblin had to think quick here, "...yes, what if I link something more in tune with this forum now...")
I think you need your own forum whereby you can do a "Ask Goblin" thread.
I cannot get enough of your mumbling after the parenthesis!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:26 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

I think you need your own forum whereby you can do a "Ask Goblin" thread. I cannot get enough of your mumbling after the parenthesis!
("...are you quite sure of that, I mean this could be serious indeed, do your friends know of your liking my posts and have sought counseling with the proper authorities too.." inquired the goblin somewhat taken aback yet suspecting too that NoturnalMe had to be some plant or ploy by those homeland security people again to root out bad writing across forumland, adding "...nah, to have one's own forum would be as bad as having one's own blog, so instead think forum/venue thread/stage and persona/act where you and I are on stage, and where your act, not those publications elsewhere, are you directly to the readers now...", and with that the goblin linked some music to keep himself on topic while understanding no one normal ever read this far anyway, stating "...this post was brought to you care of the goblin's escape from reality once more, the syntax within the text reflects a personal preference here, and as such might not be suitable for anyone seeking intellectual awe inspiring enlightenment from what they actually read, but no, short of that then, it's suffice to understand that evidently you didn't want your reality neither or you wouldn't be reading it..." whereupon the music cut in, the goblin cut out, and the thread returned to topic, um..., whatever it was)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC6vZOgYduk

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-19-2013 at 09:31 AM..
Old 11-15-2013, 02:36 AM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 595

("...are you quite sure of that, I mean this could be serious indeed, do your friends know of your liking my posts and have sought counseling with the proper authorities too.." inquired the goblin somewhat taken aback yet suspecting too that NoturnalMe had to be some plant or ploy by those homeland security people again to root out bad writing across forumland, adding "...nah, to have one's own forum would be as bad as having one's own blog, so instead think forum/venue thread/stage and persona/act where you and I are on stage, and where your act, not those publications elsewhere, are you to directly to the readers now...", and with that the goblin linked some music to keep himself on topic while understanding no one normal ever read this far anyway, stating "...this post was brought to you care of the goblin's escape from reality once more, the syntax within the text reflects a personal preference here, and as such might not be suitable for anyone seeking intellectual awe inspiring enlightenment from what they actually read, but no, short of that then, it's suffice to understand that evidently you didn't want your reality neither..." whereupon the music cut in and the thread returned to topic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC6vZOgYduk

You remind me of the poem Jabberwocky.
Start a thread on here, and we can continue this amazing dialogue whereby we've got three characters involved, me, that penguin and your goblin!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:40 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

("...there is one already..." smiled the goblin who would be on the edit thread waiting)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kE0pxRkMtQ
Old 11-15-2013, 11:05 AM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 595

I have to say the writing depends on my mood.
If I wish to write something heartbreaking I go the ballad route, if I wish to write something strong, with anger and a sense of remorse and anger...just turn up metal.

Always helps, until somebody comes in and asks what you're doing.
fleamailman (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 01:34 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

("...no gun to your head where there's nothing to it really, it's just an edit thread meant for those with something to edit, yet I've seen your posts too, but others won't see what you can write tucked away in the appropriate sections like that, so do I need to say more I wonder where a post is not a post until it is a repost..." ventured the goblin to those who would join him still, and then shrugging "...just my posts get so repetitive in the end, no you remind me of someone I knew before who had a fluidity of pen greater than mine now...")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgqSPPD3JYk

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-15-2013 at 09:48 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Ink (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 154

If I write poetry to music which I like, I more often than not end up writing borderline plagiarism. Dangerous game.

- Check out my blog on the (very slow) progress of my novel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ink For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (11-15-2013), Front&Centre (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 01:40 PM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 595

("...no gun to your head where there's nothing to it really, it's just an edit thread meant for those with something to edit, yet I've seen your posts too, but others won't see what you can write tucked away like that, so do I need to say more I wonder where a post is not a post until it is a repost..." ventured the goblin to those who would join him still, and then shrugging "...just my posts get so repetitive in the end, no you remind me of someone I knew before who had a fluidity of pen greater than mine now...")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgqSPPD3JYk
Goblin, was that a compliment?
Or am I reading incorrectly, you Roman penguin. Or are you Greek...hmm.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:16 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

Goblin, was that a compliment? Or am I reading incorrectly, you Roman penguin. Or are you Greek...hmm.
("...a penguin of linux os, the mint distro to be precise..." replied the goblin whose pen name was augustus fleamailman hence the toga too, adding "...long story though, one for another time perhaps...", meanwhile he had to catch up with the notifications in his inbox, saying "...you see, a writer struggles with rejection whereas a livewriter struggles more with his acceptance, where both can be demanding and where thankfully neither are a certainty now...", the music at this point was a simply silence save for a clock on the wall who methodically drummed away those moments till finally the goblin restarted again, saying "...let me guess that a writer thinks in terms of his or her readership today, and yet what would being read by someone you didn't know mean to someone like myself who is anonymous, so no, it's feeding here not reading now that becomes these surroundings between us...", where the slot then intervened "...yes goblin, the readership is dead, long live the replyship now, so feed to read and read to feed then for no one will remember even yesterday's posts...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-21-2013 at 04:22 AM..
Old 11-16-2013, 01:21 AM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 595

("...a penguin of linux os, the mint distro to be precise..." replied the goblin whose pen name was augustus fleamailman hence the toga too, adding "...long story though, one for another time perhaps...", meanwhile he had to catch up with the notifications in his inbox, saying "...you see, a writer struggles with rejection whereas a livewriter struggles more with his acceptance, where both can be demanding and where thankfully neither are a certainty now...", the music at this point was a simply silence save for a clock on the wall who methodically drummed away those moments till finally the goblin restarted again, saying "...let me guess that a writer thinks in terms of his or her readership today, and yet what would being read by someone you didn't know mean to someone like myself who is anonymous, so no, it's feeding here not reading now that becomes these surroundings between us...", where the slot then intervened "...yes goblin, the readership is dead, long live the replyship now, so feed to read and read to feed then for no one will remember even yesterday's posts...")
You are one philosophical penguin I swear.
Forget Confucius, you're it for the 21st century!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:13 AM
ShadowVafel (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I usualy find myself writing with Metal playing in the background ranging from more common and calm Breaking Benjamin all the way to more brutal and heavy Amon Amarth. Its funny to see how the text ends up based on what im hearing

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe