WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

The Top Five Deadly Threats To Humanity

Old 08-07-2018, 02:04 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933
Icon1 The Top Five Deadly Threats To Humanity

What could ultimately drive humans to become instincts?

My top one is:

GUNS.

it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 08-07-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Old 08-07-2018, 02:09 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Our Instincts could lead to actions to make us (humans) extinct.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:43 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Our Instincts could lead to actions to make us (humans) extinct.

Oh just change it for her😀
Old 08-07-2018, 02:51 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post

My top one is:

GUNS.

I donít think guns could make the whole human race extinct. For one example, youíd have to hike deep into the woods to get some of these humans (who would also have guns, likely). Good luck getting those guys.

My vote for number one would be a massive solar flare.

Number two: massive asteroid or meteor impact.

Number three: massive super volcanoe eruption.

None of these is likely to kill everyone, but all of them are candidates that bottlenecked the population of the human species at several points in our distant past.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Nacia (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 09:25 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 187

Our rampant greed will destroy the planet. We'll end up starving ourselves.
Mohican (08-08-2018), Nacia (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I donít think guns could make the whole human race extinct. For one example, youíd have to hike deep into the woods to get some of these humans (who would also have guns, likely). Good luck getting those guys.

My vote for number one would be a massive solar flare.

Number two: massive asteroid or meteor impact.

Number three: massive super volcanoe eruption.

None of these is likely to kill everyone, but all of them are candidates that bottlenecked the population of the human species at several points in our distant past.
I can't see a volcano doing that. It would have to be several volcanos around the globe at the same time which is literally impossible.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 08-08-2018, 10:04 AM
anna (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 136

Disease X
Old 08-08-2018, 11:03 AM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 73

I think along the same lines as Bill Gates on this issue. There's actually been a surprising amount of studies done on this vary topic. As Gates states in this video, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AEMKudv5p0) the probability for some of the things we worry about is actually really low. Volcanic explosion, an asteroid, earthquakes... all of those have a really low possibility. The chance of a widespread epidemic, such as Ebola, is actually quite high. Gates rates the possibility of a widespread pandemic within his lifetime (he's 62) as well over fifty percent.
The Spanish flu wiped more people than the first world war. It was highly contagious, had a high mortality rate, and scientists are sure where it came from. Most of the flu strains that we've had over the past decade or so have been within the same family of flus as previous outbreaks. Because of that, most people had some natural immunity to it. It's not to say that it doesn't make you sick, but your immune system has some idea about how to fight it. When a flu strain comes along of unknown origins, such as the Spanish flu, our immune systems have no idea how to fight it.
One of my best friends is a medical doctor and he says the biggest threat from flu is simply one of capacity. More people die from fever and dehydration associated with the flu than anything else. While these symptoms are treatable, there's not a medical system in the world that even comes close to being able to handle the capacity. In the United States, for example, there's a population of roughly 325 million people. If just 10% of people get sick at the same time, our system is already in emergency mode. When you consider a highly contagious illness where may 40%-60% of people are sick at the same time, we don't even come close to have enough beds, IV drips, medication, and trained staff to be able to treat everyone, not even on a triage basis. As Gates points out in his video, we also aren't ready to be able to work a vaccine through our infrastructure fast enough.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:30 AM
anna (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 136

Originally Posted by spshane View Post
I think along the same lines as Bill Gates on this issue. There's actually been a surprising amount of studies done on this vary topic. As Gates states in this video, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AEMKudv5p0) the probability for some of the things we worry about is actually really low. Volcanic explosion, an asteroid, earthquakes... all of those have a really low possibility. The chance of a widespread epidemic, such as Ebola, is actually quite high. Gates rates the possibility of a widespread pandemic within his lifetime (he's 62) as well over fifty percent.
The Spanish flu wiped more people than the first world war. It was highly contagious, had a high mortality rate, and scientists are sure where it came from. Most of the flu strains that we've had over the past decade or so have been within the same family of flus as previous outbreaks. Because of that, most people had some natural immunity to it. It's not to say that it doesn't make you sick, but your immune system has some idea about how to fight it. When a flu strain comes along of unknown origins, such as the Spanish flu, our immune systems have no idea how to fight it.
One of my best friends is a medical doctor and he says the biggest threat from flu is simply one of capacity. More people die from fever and dehydration associated with the flu than anything else. While these symptoms are treatable, there's not a medical system in the world that even comes close to being able to handle the capacity. In the United States, for example, there's a population of roughly 325 million people. If just 10% of people get sick at the same time, our system is already in emergency mode. When you consider a highly contagious illness where may 40%-60% of people are sick at the same time, we don't even come close to have enough beds, IV drips, medication, and trained staff to be able to treat everyone, not even on a triage basis. As Gates points out in his video, we also aren't ready to be able to work a vaccine through our infrastructure fast enough.
yes, and the destabilising affect of widespread epidemic could be social unrest closely followed by global power shuffling.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:03 PM
anna (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 136

I don’t think folk would do as told with regards public service announcements following an outbreak of widespread epidemic unless they took down the internet and social media perhaps
The Following User Says Thank You to anna For This Useful Post:
Nacia (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 12:26 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 73

Originally Posted by anna View Post
I donít think folk would do as told with regards public service announcements following an outbreak of widespread epidemic unless they took down the internet and social media perhaps
No, especially not in the United States. If you declared an emergency, requiring everyone to stay home, everyone would say "what about my rights?"
When I lived in the Midwest, I was amazed at the amount of traffic I saw when there was a Level 3 emergency.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Grace Gabriel (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,268

Climate change....

Where the extremes of heat and widespread flooding will create food shortages through constant blighted crops and starving livestock.

The population distribution will change into high concentration clusters - causing associated social problems and a wider chasm between rich and poor.

We'll likely be in deep doo-doo by 2050.

..but of course, the greenhouse effect doesn't exist, right?
Nacia (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by anna View Post
Disease X

Did you know that the US lost more to influenza during WWI than to the War? It might have been true globally, as well. https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:47 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
Climate change....

Where the extremes of heat and widespread flooding will create food shortages through constant blighted crops and starving livestock.

The population distribution will change into high concentration clusters - causing associated social problems and a wider chasm between rich and poor.

We'll likely be in deep doo-doo by 2050.

..but of course, the greenhouse effect doesn't exist, right?

What if we would hit another "Maunder Minimum" instead?

What if the the rich poor divide continues to grow without any climate influences?

Old 08-08-2018, 05:05 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
What if we would hit another "Maunder Minimum" instead?

What if the the rich poor divide continues to grow without any climate influences?

Yeah, a Maunder Minimum could happen. We have no way to predict these mini ice ages, but itís possible that sunspot activity would drastically reduce and we end up there.

Itís also possible that a massive volcanic eruption could cool the planet by blocking sunlight (as has happened in the past.)

Also possible: global warming (fresh water into the ocean) could shut down the AMOC and cause more dynamic, but generally cooler weather in at least the Northern Hemisphere.

All these things and more are possible.

But... it is a fact that burning fossil fuels at the rate we have since the industrial revolution has warmed the planet. We can stand around and wait for the Maunder, or the slowing of the AMOC, or a huge volcanoe to erupt, but why should we have to? Why, when the problem is pretty easy to fix? Yes, there would be financial instability, and a bunch of people would lose good paying jobs and have to be retrained, some economies might collapse (ones Entirely dependent on oil, but most of those are Muslim or communist anyway&#128512

So I donít see why any rational person would argue for doing nothing. Unless... they were some kind of shill for ďbusiness as usualĒ corporate interests. Itís the same feeling I get when Christians support Trump. Heís not a Christian. He would abort a bitches baby on a whim. He is one of the dirtiest dudes around in business. He cheats on his wife. He would fuck anyone over to protect himself.

And yet... millions of Christians support him because he might get Roe v Wade overturned. Really?
Old 08-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

How do you know that someone, in particular me "does nothing"?

I would also say that your statement that temperatures have increased since the industrial revolution/burning fossil fuels has gaps in it. v There have been warmer periods, or at least warmer in the Northern Hemisphere prior to the Industrial Revolution.

And then the implication - that if someone does not follow popular opinion then one is a shill.

And then you went to your fall back position - attack someones faith.

from a Christian perspective, I could have my doubts on whether or not tRUMP is a Christian, a backslidden Christian, about whether or not his name is or isn't written in the Book of Life. I don't know that, and you, as someone who professes to not be a Christian don't know that. There are other reasoned, historical arguments I could make, which for sake of brevity I won't.

If you can't make a counter argument without personal attacks like "shill", or "how can a Christian believe "X", then don't make that argument.

The Collective we are going away from the personal attacks at Writers Beat.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:56 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231
Default The Top Five Deadly Threats To Humanity

this message was edited by staff

Last edited by Mohican; 08-08-2018 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: continued namecalling
Old 08-09-2018, 11:42 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...I doubt that anything will really get rid of you humans now..." ventured the goblin keep his hopes up though, then adding "...no, the real problem is the dumbing down of society and the increasing ease by which society is controlled through various means...", where society probably couldn't get by without virtual reality even, let alone those basics such as food water and shelter, sighing "...in the great depression 90% of the population lived in the countryside, whereas today that 90% live in the cities, where extinction is thus unlikely, yet mass cull of humanity is very likely..." whereupon the goblin's mind went back to the fall of rome where prior to the fall it had been a million people living there, though afterwards only 1% of that population remained, adding "...not killed off so much as moved out through joblessness)

Last edited by fleamailman; 08-09-2018 at 11:48 AM..
Old 08-13-2018, 09:27 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 514

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post

My top one is:

GUNS.
Nacia, the only way guns could wipe out the human race would be if all humans were somehow infected with the desire to kill all other humans, and using guns, they did so until no breeding pairs were left.

Our extinction wouldn't be because of guns - it would be because of insanity, and in an insane desire to kill all other humans, I doubt we would restrict ourselves to firearms, so in the end, you still wouldn't be able to blame the guns.

Indeed, when it's all said and done, death by firearms ranks well below things like Parkinson's disease, asthma, and plain old slipping and falling. The chances of every single human being slipping on banana peels and cracking their heads on the sidewalk so hard their brains fall out, are greater than the chances of every single human being being killed by another human being with a gun.

I think plant diseases would be more likely to cause our demise. A mutant mold; a pernicious parasite; a bodacious blight (alright - I'll knock it off) could shrivel every plant on Earth, making the end come quickly for those of us without underground bunkers stuffed full of enough food to last until a cure is found.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Nacia (08-14-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 03:56 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 230

Normally I would say a natural disaster, but these days, there are so many self-obsessed arse holes on social media. one of them will do it.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:56 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post

I think plant diseases would be more likely to cause our demise. A mutant mold; a pernicious parasite; a bodacious blight (alright - I'll knock it off) could shrivel every plant on Earth, making the end come quickly for those of us without underground bunkers stuffed full of enough food to last until a cure is found.

These often happen during cooling periods - especially cool damp periods

Old 08-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Flesh eating STDs

https://www.livescience.com/63403-ra...anosis-uk.html

Quarantine the UK? Shades of The Walking Dead or The Stand?

Old 08-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 230

Ever heard of Sir John Glubb, read some of his insights into how empires rise and fall, you might see some parallels.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table