WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Earth's Children Book #1: Clan of the Cave Bear

Old 08-26-2018, 09:05 PM
DwayneA (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 6
Default Earth's Children Book #1: Clan of the Cave Bear

Anybody heard of this series? It's set in an ice age and written by Jean M. Auel. I just finished reading the first book, "The Clan of the Cave Bear".

I thought it was a good read, though at times I found myself unable to understand exactly what was happening due to being unable to form a clear picture in my head. The author changed character perspectives many times, often without even changing the scene.

Also, in my opinion, there was little characterization, development, or growth. One problem I had was with the character Broud. Of all the books I have ever read, I consider Broud to be one of the most despicable characters I've ever come across. The guy was portrayed as a total egomaniac, completely unlikeable, absolutely no redeeming qualities. Serious, he abuses the protagonist Ayla and hates her for absolutely no reason other than the fact that she takes attention and praise away from him, even when not her intention. And what kind of man would repeatedly rape a ten year old, all for the purpose of putting her in her place, making himself superior, and enjoy the displeasure it causes her. He abuses his own mate for nursing Ayla's deformed son when she is unable to feed him herself. And in the end, when he becomes leader, he uses his position to exact revenge against her for every imagined act against him. Even after everything he did to her, he acted like he was the one who had been wronged, the one who had to seek revenge! At least he gets his comeuppance in the end.

I have already ordered the next book in the series from ebay.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:31 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Yes, it made quite a stir when it came out in the 80s. I was in high school when I read it. There is also a movie adaption but its not nearly as good as the book. I forget whos in the movie.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:59 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,382

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Yes, it made quite a stir when it came out in the 80s. I was in high school when I read it. There is also a movie adaption but its not nearly as good as the book. I forget whos in the movie.
Daryl Hannah.

Some blond moments are quite enjoyable for us brown haired guys.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 230

I am a regular reader of bear stories, but I am also dyslexic. I personally found Broud to be a poor role-model with a dislike of Ayla that bordered upon specism.

Not only that, he had dextrous pores like a human, which is just silly, and a face like Susan Boyle that made me want to punch him before he dared sing.

He was an awful bear, and misrepresented them terribly.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:47 PM
DwayneA (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 6

I just saw the movie. I thought it looked more like a documentary than an actual movie, but I thought it was okay in my opinion. Good music.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library