WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

The Mechanics of Déjà Vu

Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 AM
J. R. Richards (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 14
Default The Mechanics of Déjà Vu

This was a short little scientific article I had to do in class a while back. I found learning about it interesting so I thought I'd chuck it up here for you to read.

It’s a phenomenon experienced by mostly every human being on the planet. The feeling that everything you are currently experiencing has happened before but there is no prior recollection of said experience. Déjà vu is a disturbance (delay) in the brain’s “time labelling” mechanism. For an animal to survive in its external environment two of the things it must be able to do are; identify an event and then determine when this event happened in accordance to other events. Take a ship’s log for instance, if you wanted to piece together a ship’s entire history you would find every major event that has occurred and the time it happened within the log (Efron, 1963). The brain is similar to this in that it logs and labels events.

How does déjà vu occur?

When events are perceived the information is relayed to the two hemispheres within the brain, the non-dominant and dominant hemispheres. Usually information is first received by the non-dominant hemisphere and then passed to the dominant hemisphere within a matter of milliseconds. Déjà vu occurs when there is a delay of this information pass over. So essentially both hemispheres perceive the same event but the information pass over is delayed between the two hemispheres. This delay gives the sensation that you have logged the event but the event has never been labelled (Efron, 1963).

Reference:
Efron R., (1963). Temporal Perception, Aphasia and Déjà vu. Neurophysiology-Biophysics Research Unit, Veterans Administraion Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts.

Last edited by J. R. Richards; 06-15-2011 at 06:24 AM..
Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Nice job.

There is stuff about the brain that confuses me. For instance, in a reported OBE (Out-of-Body Experience), the individual is able to see himself hovering above his own body (including his brain ).

If one is to believe OBEs, then the human consciousness has to be independent of the brain.

Sticky situation.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:41 PM
J. R. Richards (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 14

Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
Nice job.

There is stuff about the brain that confuses me. For instance, in a reported OBE (Out-of-Body Experience), the individual is able to see himself hovering above his own body (including his brain ).

If one is to believe OBEs, then the human consciousness has to be independent of the brain.

Sticky situation.
Thanks for reading I hope you found it as interesting as I did.

I read an article on this in a science journal and I can remember reading that where the patient was prior to the experience had an effect on where they would see their body from. It suggested that the brain's input at the time was ambiguous, with sensory receptors and position of the body (disintergration in personal space) both not properly integrating and that it was probably caused by a vestibular dysfunction.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 AM
jgo (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

So, it isn't like the matrix? The thing I don't understand is how I can see the event in a dream or in a past memory - then see the event later in the future.

Or is it my brain just moving slow - and the delay happens and i THINK i've seen the image many months before - when really the delay just happened then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Dreams

http://www.dreammoods.com/dreaminformation/dreamtypes/
Old 06-16-2011, 01:26 PM
J. R. Richards (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 14

Originally Posted by jgo View Post
So, it isn't like the matrix? The thing I don't understand is how I can see the event in a dream or in a past memory - then see the event later in the future.

Or is it my brain just moving slow - and the delay happens and i THINK i've seen the image many months before - when really the delay just happened then.
I don't know the link between dreams and deja vu but I'm going to take a guess and say that it might be your brain trying to make some sort of sense out of the delay? It might be coincidence?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Lyndia (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 66
Send a message via Skype™ to Lyndia

Oh my goodness Writing Time, you've never had Deja vu??
That's amazing!!
I get it all the effing time. It's hard to explain.
It's very strong for a few seconds, then more like a fleeting memory ish feeling. For me.
I've never thought it spiritual... just creepy :3
Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

And, now: the song--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-KaZ6NCJGU
Old 06-19-2011, 12:31 AM
J. R. Richards (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 14

Originally Posted by Writing Time View Post
I don't think I've ever experienced deja vu.
Is it a very strong feeling? How long does it last?
Bet people find it spiritual.
Not spiritual for me, just surreal.

It's actually a sign of stress if you experience it quite a bit. The fact you've never experienced it could mean you live a fairly stress free life... don't quote me on that though.

Thanks for reading guys.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction