WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Split-Infinitives

Old 06-10-2014, 12:02 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89
Default Split-Infinitives

A pretty good explanation of the subject.

A Dictionary of Modern English Usage by H. W. Fowler

http://catholicinsight.com/wp-conten..._1-360x239.jpg

I found this @ http://catholicinsight.com/a-diction...-english-usage and wanted to share it with my fellow writers.

Oxford at the Clarendon Press, London, 1926

Split Infinitives. The English-speaking world may be divided into (1) those who neither know nor care what a split infinitive is; (2) those who do not know, but care very much; (3) those who know and condemn; (4) those who know and approve; and (5) those who know and distinguish.

Those who neither know nor care are the vast majority, and are a happy folk, to be envied by most of the minority classes; “to really understand” comes readier to their lips and pens than “really to understand,” they see no reason why they should not say it (small blame to them, seeing that reasons are not their critics’ strong point) and they do say it, to the discomfort of some among us, but not to their own.

Read the full piece at the link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The history of the California missions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life in the military and general ramblings
Old 06-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Night Wanderer (Offline)
Midnight nomad

Thanks 252

I think split infinitives are no longer widely disparaged (except by the most Nazi-ish of grammar Nazis ). Sometimes they flow better, sometimes they don't! I proudly identify as a 5.

Last edited by Night Wanderer; 06-10-2014 at 12:39 PM..
Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Mark_Hooper

I agree with Night Wanderer on this. There was a time when I tried to be Mr. Grammarian. The more I learned about creative writing and what modern editors are looking for the less attention I paid. I've read a lot of books by editors on the subject of creative writing, including one by Saul Stein. They universally agree that they're more interested in "flow" and in readability. Often times, forcing a grammatically correct sentence just ruins the flow of it. My teachers in school would chop your dick off if you ended a sentence in a dangling preposition. Now, editors are saying "no, go head and end with the dangling preposition, if it flows better". The same is true with split infinitives. Does it sound natural? Then, that's what you're going for, and everyone else can just adjust their tampons.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
longknife (06-13-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 120
Icon10 Split-Infinitives

I am not only a member of the MLA, but I am also a client.

The next time I hear of a split-infinitive and tie it to the
English language, I want to be speaking Spanish.

And it better be good. . .
No despair- it is the Decision.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues