WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Plot Development

Old 06-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Pen (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Plot Development

I have trouble getting the events in a story leading up to the climax (so I guess you'd say the rising action, if I remember correctly from middle school English) to feel natural. The events tend to feel forced, like they're only there to further hte plot. Any ideas for more organic plot development?

Old 06-24-2007, 09:27 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Don't think in terms of plot or climax. Just tell the story and let it unfold naturally.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:37 AM
starpanda (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 4

Pen if you need a sounding board, just PM me!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:52 AM
tarakan (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Location: Deep within the darkest recesses of the Paris Metro
Send a message via AIM to tarakan

I can thoroughly recommend bouncing ideas off Panda (now there's a picture!).

All I can add is stay open to your new ideas and be prepared to throw everything in the air and rejig it. You may not have looked at all angles, and the simplest idea can pull the plot all together and give it a rythymn.

Tarakan

Last edited by tarakan; 06-25-2007 at 03:50 AM..
Old 06-25-2007, 02:42 AM
starpanda (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4

...bouncing ideas of Panda (now there's a picture!).
Just so long as they are not large, hard, (ahem! *blushes*) or thrown with great velocity!!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Morgenstern (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to Morgenstern

What I'm guessing is that the conflict doesn't feel natural. What conflict are you using, internal or external? If it is internal, you may have a problem with character development, which can cause the conflict to look like it is fake, because the character wouldn't actually act that way.

For instance, lets say we have a character named Bob. Bob likes cookies more than anything, and he is very selfish. So he's sitting in a room with lots of cookies, and a little girl comes along. To further the plot, Bob has to give her a cookie which just so happens to be poisoned and kills her, then bob goes to jail. But it doesn't make sense for him to give her the cookie, he'd want it all for himself. So that action wouldn't be true to the character. I know it is a childish example, but it fits.

So, maybe that is your problem. If I knew what kind of action was going on in the middle of the story, I might be able to give better advice.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
OnceUponATime (Offline)
Official Member

Location: State of Insanity - I must be in order to start my own paper...
Thanks 12

Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post

For instance, lets say we have a character named Bob. Bob likes cookies more than anything, and he is very selfish. So he's sitting in a room with lots of cookies, and a little girl comes along. To further the plot, Bob has to give her a cookie which just so happens to be poisoned and kills her, then bob goes to jail. But it doesn't make sense for him to give her the cookie, he'd want it all for himself. So that action wouldn't be true to the character. I know it is a childish example, but it fits.
Good reply, sound advice.

One problem that occurs while writing (happens to me, anyway) is that when I work from an outline, I try to force characters into situations that are supposed to move the plot along and forget along the way that one or two of my characters may not 'realistically' have found themselves in that said situation. After that, everything feels forced. If an outline is used, refer to it more as a 'guideline' rather than a framework. The reason is that while you're writing, characters can often seem to want to do their own thing that falls more in line with the personality you gave them in the beginning. This can often lead you in new directions previously unanticipated and a whole new plot angle or subplot can form. If this happens, take a good look at it as a whole and consider how it will enhance your main plot - or if it veers completely off-course. The new angle may just be the way your story 'wants' to be told.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jillian
Old 07-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Pen (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 0

I think the problem I have is figuring out how to logically get from point A to point B. For example, I was working on an SF story about a society that randomly kills civilians and government officials (or narrowly avoids doing so) to keep up the ilusion of being at war. Everyone thinks they really are at war but, as the story progresses, they realize none of it seems right and, at the end they see that it the government (I know that sounds really stupid--I didn't explain it very well). However, all the events that were supposed to begin to hint something wasn't right seemed to contrived. I guess the issue is trying to avoid the contrived-ness...
Old 07-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Morgenstern (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to Morgenstern

Do you outline?

I'm not sure if someone else said this, but try outlining. I picked up this new way of outlining. A friend of mine said that I should write my chapters like short stories, each with their own conflict, climax, and solution. So I started outlining my chapters in that way with a beginning, conflict, and solution. This might help you, because then you would be able to see the development of your plot on paper, before you wrote it all out.

Perhaps the problem is that the plots you are choosing don't have the right amount of conflict to make a good plot? So that is doesn't even have much of a point A and a point B? Hmm...

I'd love to help you out with this more ^_~ Seems challenging.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues