WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Need Reviews? (Fictionpress Self Publishing)

Old 12-27-2005, 07:32 AM
MalReynolds (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds
Need Reviews? (Fictionpress Self Publishing)

www.fictionpress.com is a large self publishing site that automatically puts a copywrite on your work as you submit where it is read by your peers. Most of the work I have uploaded there has an average of four peer reviews per piece. Some of the longer works (Creep World) have more reviews, and some have none.

After writing and submitting to FictionPress, I recieved and e-mail from antithesis online asking if they could use some of my work for an online literary magazine, so FictionPress is a good place to get your work viewed by the general public.

Mal

Old 12-27-2005, 08:56 AM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to kellykat60409 Send a message via MSN to kellykat60409 Send a message via Yahoo to kellykat60409

thank you for this awesome site.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Perfect_Paradox (Offline)
Better than Darth.
Loyal Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Perfect_Paradox

ahh, I went there a while back (durning my fanfiction craze) but I had no idea things like that could happen.
Thanks for the idea, I think I'll go give that site another shot
Old 12-27-2005, 06:01 PM
DeathDragon (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

I registered. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-27-2005, 06:03 PM
DFischer (Offline)
Got Fisch?
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via AIM to DFischer

Hopefully writersbeat.com can one day be transformed into such a worthwhile site for publishing.

Personal site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please critique other's work before asking to get critique on your own.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:13 AM
MalReynolds (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

The main problem I have with FictionPress, and this will sound very egotistical, is that anyone can do it and they have no quality control standards...

That being said, I try to read through things and give constructive criticsm. Often times, people do not take this well and will negativley review a story of mine and say, "How do you like my work now!" or something to that effect. It's a good site, yes, but you have to be weary of the idiots that run around on it.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:11 AM
DFischer (Offline)
Got Fisch?
Official Member

Thanks 168

My "future" plans for writersbeat is for every 6 months to select a couple authors and publish a book.

May be alot harder than it sounds but... It's possible no?

Personal site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:22 AM
MalReynolds (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

You should contact the MTV group that publishes young author's works (I heard a friend raving about this for some reason). My friend says they're not afraid to take chances with new literature and the faces it might bring, so... I'll try and find more info, but they would be the current best bet.

Mal
Old 12-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Desmond Tiny (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Desmond Tiny Send a message via MSN to Desmond Tiny Send a message via Skype™ to Desmond Tiny

Sounds like a great plan, good luck with that Arachn1d.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:56 AM
DFischer (Offline)
Got Fisch?
Official Member

Thanks 168

I'll get right onto that.

Personal site:

Old 12-28-2005, 12:46 PM
DFischer (Offline)
Got Fisch?
Official Member

Thanks 168

Okay, it's impossible to get in contact with MTV. I found no e-mail anywhere. And nothing related to this young writer thing.

Arg

Personal site:

Old 12-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Desmond Tiny (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Desmond Tiny Send a message via MSN to Desmond Tiny Send a message via Skype™ to Desmond Tiny

This isnt MTV the music channel....is it?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:55 PM
MalReynolds (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

It is, but they've published books by young authors before. One of them really pissed me off because it swung the entire school into the Indie scene and they all wore tight pants and made me go, "Grr."
Old 01-04-2006, 03:30 AM
big_fn_dirty (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Arachn1d
My "future" plans for writersbeat is for every 6 months to select a couple authors and publish a book.

May be alot harder than it sounds but... It's possible no?
When last I looked, cafepress offered a binding service with which you could(in theory) "publish" a book. They may have removed the service by now though.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:51 PM
fastkilr (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to fastkilr

Self-Publishing would be our best bet for something like this. I look forward to the implementation if it comes, and would love to read a hard-copy of anyone's work, that visits here. If for no other reason than for my like for growing community websites.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:01 AM
DFischer (Offline)
Got Fisch?
Official Member

Thanks 168

Originally Posted by big_fn_dirty
When last I looked, cafepress offered a binding service with which you could(in theory) "publish" a book. They may have removed the service by now though.
No, I believe they still do it.

If anyone has any ideas on how WB could publish books/articles/ whatever it may be, please provide them. I really need to start figuring out this stuff.

Personal site:

Old 04-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Thekherham (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Location: 55657 Brežendra Road, Treskebhar, Te’hănys, Alharhan
Thanks 0

I joined Fictionpress recently.

The question I have, though, is if I post a work there, can I also send to a regular editor for publishing or is Fictionpress a dead end street. I'm always worried when a publisher states that, Stories that have been posted on the internet will not be accepted.

The fox-like, auburn-furred, bushy-tailed alien
Old 04-12-2006, 10:41 PM
MalReynolds (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Originally Posted by Thekherham
I joined Fictionpress recently.

The question I have, though, is if I post a work there, can I also send to a regular editor for publishing or is Fictionpress a dead end street. I'm always worried when a publisher states that, Stories that have been posted on the internet will not be accepted.
If you're sending out a hard-copy and they make a request like that, take it off your account. It could be because people see internet and regular publishing as two different enterprises.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:26 AM
doolols (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by DFischer
If anyone has any ideas on how WB could publish books/articles/ whatever it may be, please provide them. I really need to start figuring out this stuff.
I don't know if anyone's suggested http://www.lulu.com/ yet, but they print magazines too. I just received a "Lulu'd" anthology featuring some of my work. The quality of the makeup is good. Order placement to arriving on my doormat was about two weeks. Initial proof to manufacture was a few days only, I believe. It seems to me Lulu is about the best place to go for professionally-produced, small run publications.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Anarkos (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by MalReynolds
www.fictionpress.com is a large self publishing site that automatically puts a copywrite on your work as you submit where it is read by your peers.
Everything you write is automaticly your copyright. In the US, in order to enforce it, it seems, bizarrely, that it must be registered. In other nations, I believe that any any sufficient evidence that you indeed were the author is enough to bring suit.

See: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

Also, note that if you publish your work online, you won't be able to offer first publishing rights to anyone else, so you will probably not be able to ever get it published in print through a reputable publishing house (this includes posting it on public forums such as this).

Old 06-29-2006, 02:14 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to riverstone

I've got a local printer who will make as few as 10 books, soft cover. I even have access through a friend to some ISBN numbers this year. Next year, I expect the printer and I to have our own ISBN numbers and sku numbers. If you have your book laid out, great. If not, I have the software Asobe Creative Studio, and will consider doing the work for money or barter. The book would be published by Greenleaf Tea Publishing, as an imprint of Arbor Hill Press (that's me and my fellow poet, Larry, who bought the ISBN numbers) . I can also deal with getting your copyright filed with the Library of Congress.

Because of health issues, I take on only one project at a time, but I'd be glad to pitch in. I started doing this becasue we were all tired of sending out packages to agents and publishers and waiting for our "no, thanks."
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Riverstones let the water flow around them.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing