WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Books On Writing

Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 PM
DwayneA (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Books On Writing

I went to a bookstore in the city today and found a whole shelf of books on creative writing. Can someone recommend some good books on creative writing that I can read to improve and benefit my writing skills?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:44 PM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

You can improve your writing just as well by reading fiction or browsing online (and reading is the best way to learn). Honestly, the books won't tell you anything you can't learn for free.

If your mind is made up though, I did find King's On Writing to be a decent read years ago. That said, it was years ago, so my thoughts might be different now if I were to pick it up again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DavidGil; 04-18-2013 at 11:58 PM..
Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Some of the critical theory books are really interesting. With regards to studies of structure and plot I would recommend . . .

The Seven Basic Plots by C. Booker
The Writer's Journey by C. Vogler

Check out De Saussure's work on linguistics if you get time.

For a writing related book I recommend . . .

Self Editing For Fiction Writer's: How to Edit Yourself Into Print, by Rennie Browne and Dave King

I'm on the lookout for some good grammar books -- if anyone else has some recommendations, throw them my way too, please

Then, as David says, get hold of and read different styles of writing. Try stuff out of your genre, in your genre, different authors. You'll start to see the patterns.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 AM
Elyzabeth (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 13

If you want to read the BEST book on writing, go to:

SOL STEIN:

"SOLUTIONS FOR WRITERS"

OR "SOLUTIONS FOR NOVELISTS"
Old 04-20-2013, 05:24 PM
LurkingDarkness (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 39

If you're into horror writing, a good novel to pick up would be Danse Macabre by Stephen King. It was his first non-fiction book, written in the early 1980s. He goes on to explain horror and why/how it scares people. He also discusses works of H. P. Lovecraft, Richard Matheson, Ray Bradbury, and more. It's a good book in general and I recommend it to any and all.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Rip (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 4

I found How To Write A Million useful. It's really three books in one, each featuring on a different topic. The points within helped to refine my writing and think more about the characters within.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe