WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Viral marketing for your books?

Old 10-11-2013, 11:51 PM
MoriartyJunior (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Icon6 Viral marketing for your books?

How do you guys feel about viral marketing for your fiction?

I'm a writer, and I find it so competitive, and difficult to get noticed, and it seems like if you can just manage to tap the right current of hysteria you can end up like JK Rowling.

On the other hand theres part of me which remains very cynical and feels as though this is 'selling out' and that a... 'real author' would be more interested in simply creating valuable works of fiction.

Did you follow the 'Horse-e books' 77 days countdown promotion at all? What a brilliant piece of marketing, they got tens of thousands of people following them pretending to be an apocalypse, and people weren't even mad when it turned out to be a marketing stunt.
http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/09/24/ho...tery-revealed/

There is another apocalpytic countdown happening now:
http://www.falseprophet-hq.com/

This one is also very clever and is believed to be viral marketing stunt for the film 'Donnie Darko III' they have people spreading conspiracy theories about an anti-christ called 'Frank' and even have created a web maze with various passwords to navigate through the maze. The site is very interesting the first passwords are 'highkey' and 'lowkey' have a look around at all the work they've put into it. I'm sure it will pay off too. People will flock to Donnie Darko III even if it is just as dissapointing as Donnie Darko II.

So how do you feel about this? Is it worth putting a lot of effort into your marketing strategies or should you just focus on being a brilliant writer?

Old 10-12-2013, 11:10 PM
G. L. Argain (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 6

I'd say focus on being a brilliant writer first, and if that doesn't work, then....well....I don't know. You decide!

I'm a new writer as well, and it's hard for me to find anyone to look at my story, let alone read it and give their opinion on it.

Part of me just says that it's a matter of luck, and that viral marketing will just piss people off. Possibly beyond words.
The other part of me (a.k.a. the troll deep inside) says that viral marketing wouldn't be too bad of a choice. Sure, they may be mad at first, but the moment that lots of people start noticing it, you've pretty much accomplished your goal, right?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:53 PM
egrizzly (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 57

I'd say develop a process for marketing your work, then go through the steps of that process consistently. As you get to a certain milestone, e.g 1 month, 2 months, e.t.c then check your progress. see whats working the most and increase it, the techniques that are not working you change. The key is to remain consistent with the marketing plan and don't give up.

I'm not a fan of misleading people....it's almost like "stealing" interest. just a school of thought though.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe