WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Trying to get Published

Old 04-16-2007, 06:32 AM
Love2Write (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Icon5 Trying to get Published

Ok, well getting published is one of my major goals in life. I really enjoy writting and think that my work is possibly good enough to be published. So, sounds like alls well to act on that goal; it's not! I'm so lost as to the process in which you get published.
I'm a young author so I would prefer being published by a publisher that specializes in young authors. I don't really have anyone around me to ask for assistance in the process, so I figured who's better to ask than this community of experienced writers!
So, if you have a moment and understand this whole process, please drop a post; it wuld be most appreciated!
Thanks soo much!
Love2Write.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Cordatus (Offline)
Viscount of Vainglorious Deeds
Official Member

Thanks 19

Well, do you have a completed manuscript?

Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Love2Write (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Ok, well I probably sound annoying and rather dumb but a manuscript is?
I'm a little young to understand all the things incorporated in publishing so if you could possibly alaborate, it would be most appreciated!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:23 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

What Cordatus is saying is have you actually finished anything?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:48 AM
gary_wagner

I'd suggest starting local and work your way up. Find out what kind of magazines or newspapers in your area are looking for submissions. Try your school's newspaper or magazine if they have one.

E-zines are another good place to start. Search the net and look for online publications that are looking for writers. Be careful to stay away from scammers, though. There are probably more of those than legitimate ones.

Just stay away from any "publisher" that wants money to "publish" your work. Stay away from scams like poetry.com and publishamerica. Remember that there are at least another million people your age trying to get published and no publisher is going to look through a million submissions to find that one that stands out above the rest. If you have established a record of being published in multiple publications, even if they are small and local, that will help you be noticed over the other million.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Rhoda (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Rhoda Send a message via Yahoo to Rhoda

For those of you who have submitted material lately:

When you give word count of your story, do you give out the MS word count, or do you go by the 250 words/page standard. When I last submitted, they still used the 250 words/ page, but that was five years ago. I am asking because I just recently submitted to an agent who told me to go by the MS word count. There is a significant difference in the two ways of counting.

Much has changed in the past five years. Publishers and agents are now accepting on-line submissions. I wonder if other things have changed as well.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:45 AM
piperdawn (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Hmm, I use the tool bar at the top of MS Office. I just block my text and click on it. Does that help?

Everything I've ever submitted has been online. If I wait to get an envelope and go to the post office I chicken out. Once you've submitted online, it's done.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:51 AM
Cordatus (Offline)
Viscount of Vainglorious Deeds
Official Member

Thanks 19

Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
When you give word count of your story, do you give out the MS word count, or do you go by the 250 words/page standard.
I just recently submitted to an agent who told me to go by the MS word count.
It depends. And since your agent asked for a processed word count, list a processed word count.

There is a significant difference in the two ways of counting.
Yes. The processed count provides the exact number of words in your document. The counted count gives an estimate of the actual word count.

First of all, make sure that your manuscript is properly formatted--the 250 w/p standard only applies when there is a proper format. After that, multiply the number of pages you have by 250.

The number you will get is a rather good estimate of your manuscript's word count. I would go by that ... when I submit.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Sycorax (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0

How do you get auto margin and auto double-space in MS word? I know you can do it, but i'm not sure how.
'Shaun Hutson'
Old 08-06-2007, 03:35 AM
starpanda (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 4

Margins are in the page set up area of MS word.

On the Menu toolbar click File
then Page set up
The margin tab is usually the first tab and has all the seetings on it...choose your settings, make sure that on the right hand size underneath the preview box it is set to 'Apply to: whole document' Then click default button (bottom Left) There is a warning saying that its going to change the Normal template, just click 'Yes'

For double spacing, you'll find that again from the menu toolbar
Click format
then paragraph
the first tab is indents and spacing...about half way down the box there is line spacing...use the down arrow to show you your options click 'double'
then click OK

Ok?

Any problems PM me

Last edited by starpanda; 08-06-2007 at 03:38 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing