WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Website Advertising (example)

Old 04-19-2006, 05:36 PM
TimD (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to TimD
Website Advertising (example)

I had an author put himself forward for an article at Coolscifi today and his personal flash based website really took my attention. This isn't an advertisement for me or him, if I knew how to strip the names out of the webflash I would, but this site just begs to be experienced. I think you'll come away imagining "what if my work was fitted into it?"

http://www.sdmckee.com/
The author taught himself to make that website all by himself. Although the voiceover narrative is a paid actor (thats really what your list of friends is for, 'free' voice overs ) and he pays for the hosting himself.

No more inanimate webpages for those willing to invest time and a bit of money in a good website like this. It is a serious item to consider really, with some help from friends online who are willing to help out for free, for mention on the site (their C.V in the end) or bunging them some cash/beers.

Nothing has taken my attention so much since the Donnie Darko website with it's new viral advertising, then the BBC's Doctor Who website with the viral advertising and conspiracy level link between show and website.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:55 PM
doolols (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Very interesting website, Tim. Thanks for posting the link.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:56 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Not denigrating what the guy's done, which is quite impressive, there is a serious flaw with the 'all-flash' website. To search engines, it's invisible - it has no 'real' text, and therefore no content. Flash has it's place - I did this e-commercial for EJ Knapp's upcoming novel http://writers.ktf-design.com/html/flash_example.html - but it should be used sparingly. The other drawback, with an estimated 40%+ of users still on dial-up at home, is download time. If it takes an age to load, people will move on somewhere else.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:07 AM
TimD (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0

Hmm, maybe I should talk to him about that. So he needs to have some basic HTML held text around the flash windows to help with search engines then? Or will that be seperate pages?
Old 04-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by TimD
Hmm, maybe I should talk to him about that. So he needs to have some basic HTML held text around the flash windows to help with search engines then? Or will that be seperate pages?
see for yourself.on your toolbar click view-->Source

Take out the html coding (which google ignores) and you're left with... nothing. That's what google thinks is on your site. For some this isn't a problem, but if you want to show up on search engines you got to have plain text. Pretty though his site is, I would suggest tossing 75% of it - keep key flash pieces, but use them to enhance the site, not to BE the site. Make the rest of the site readable and accessable (don't forget there are huge numbers of blind or partially sighted people who surf the net also - his site is invisible to them also).
Old 04-20-2006, 02:02 PM
TimD (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0

I've talked to him and he says there is a meta link area and he can search and find the site based on those links. But I think he's maybe aiming too low restricting himself to that only. He is having another look over it though.

His work is not available in braille or large print, I'm sure if it had been then he would alter the site. I actually came across my first Vbulletin site today that when registering and getting the security image to type in, upon getting it wrong once and having to try again I noticed a message there about visually impaired people contacting admin if they need help. It is an England based site and we now have laws covering that sort of thing.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:23 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

I'd forgotten how much I love to listen to stories. I may not have got past the first page reading it but I adore hearing words spoken.

It's an excellent site, although I see it's 100% flash faults.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

If you like hearing words spoken, I've just added a poetry reading (first of many, others are being recorded now) on to Rebecca del Rio's website - http://www.rebeccadelrio.net - go to the 'audio' link.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:31 AM
TimD (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0

and for those in the scifi world, comparitively cheap subscriptions are available at http:www.mechmuse.com for audiobooks in mp3 format for the scifi community. The company is producing audiobooks that can be put on portable devices for commuters, joggers, etc.

When I was younger and had a gym in my parents garage I used to listen to radio plays as I war working out. It used to numb my mind from the physical world quite well, better than listening to music. I just hope that I won't end up 3 stops down the line after losing myself completly on a train one day
Old 04-21-2006, 07:08 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by TimD
I've talked to him and he says there is a meta link area and he can search and find the site based on those links. But I think he's maybe aiming too low restricting himself to that only. He is having another look over it though.

His work is not available in braille or large print, I'm sure if it had been then he would alter the site. I actually came across my first Vbulletin site today that when registering and getting the security image to type in, upon getting it wrong once and having to try again I noticed a message there about visually impaired people contacting admin if they need help. It is an England based site and we now have laws covering that sort of thing.
Accessability is a legal requirement these days, an not just in the UK. Buiding a site that a person with a disability cannot read is discriminatory. Whether his work is available in large print or braille isn't the issue.

On a more relavant not though, most search engines ignore metatags now. And the fact that he can find himself on google doesn't mean that his site is getting the best exposure. Think of all the search terms he might like to be found under by people. Aint going to happen. For a successful - rather than just attractive - site, you need to balance your content.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing