WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

"I'm an Englishman in New York"

Old 07-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default "I'm an Englishman in New York"

Hi,

As a Britski, living in Britland, and writing Britty stories, I never gave a moment's thought to one day sending some of my writing off to Americaland.

But, two Americaners have surprised me by professing to be able to find 'amusement' in work that I have posted on this splendid forum.

It kind of got me thinking that one day I might find an Americanish agent that accepts email submissions, and send him or her some of my tripe.

But, I was wondering how this would work? Would they even look at my stuff if I wasn't already represented/published over in Britworld? Would I have to pay too high a percentage to the agent to make it worth it? Have any fellow Britishers here done this?

What about you Americanos, how do you get Britters to look at your own work?

Would welcome any thoughts, comments from anyone

Cheerio,
James the Britisher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:25 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

Hey, those Americanos over there aren't all the different from us.

Promise me one thing, never start wriing American, it's just bad and wrong if you were born and raised over here. Same for you Americans, don't change unless you have to.

I don't know about agents, but I know magazines don't generally care if where you're from. Just check they accept international submissions before submitting.

erm yeah I wasn't a whole lot of help but I'm not writing large works that would need an aent yet so I don't know much about it.

If I were you I'd find a Brit agent, who would most probably have connections in the US and be able to market your work to an American agent or audience.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by kalibantre
If I were you I'd find a Brit agent, who would most probably have connections in the US and be able to market your work to an American agent or audience.
As K says, a Brit agent (of reasonable worth) will have US associates, or reciprocal arrangements with a US agent. If they don't, then you can submit to both. Similarly, a US agent will try to place your book in the UK also.

And it won't just stop there; A good agent will sell translation rights. Carrie Kabak is a Brit writer living in the US, and her book, Cover the Butter, is selling well in a number of countries, most recently having been translated to Polish (I think it's available in 5 languages now).

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing