WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

Old 06-26-2008, 10:59 AM
JohnsGothGirl37 (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

I have read several books by Jodi Picoult. I was wondering if anyone else has read her book Keeping Faith. If you have what were your opinions on the book.
Did you like it? I did, I thought that it was quite interesting.
Please leave feedback!

To answer Jarin's Question:

She mainly writes realistic Fiction. It's not really a certain genre.
It's about a little girl that has an imaginary friend, that everyone beleives is God. She starts saying that she has more imaginary friends. When she says the names of them they turn out to be old saints. Her hands and wrists start bleeding and she and her mother think that it's stigmata, but no one beleives them and they blame the mother. Saying that she's purposely hurting her daughter to get attention. And their family isn't religious.

I find it interesting simply because of the fact that it has to do in religion. It's always interested me. But I'm a strong nonbeleiver, so stigmata is kind of cool to me.

Thats how I can describe it. I don't know if I can give you.

If you are not willing to stand up for what's right, then who will? - John Bergeland

~*~[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]~*~

Last edited by JohnsGothGirl37; 06-27-2008 at 12:08 PM..
Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Jarin

I'm sorry, but it's not one I've caught. What genre (for example, is it horror, sci-fi, biography...?) does she cover?

Why did you find it interesting? Can you tell us a bit about it?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a’ Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

TJ, It might be a good idea to give a synopsis, and to offer your opinion on the book first. That way, you give other members something to discuss.

So, you could start by answering Jarin's question: what was it that you found so interesting about the book? Or perhaps tell us what it is about Picoult's writng that appeals to you.

Imagine you are writing a review for a newspaper or magazine; what would you say to make others want to read this book?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:07 PM
JohnsGothGirl37 (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Jarin View Post
I'm sorry, but it's not one I've caught. What genre (for example, is it horror, sci-fi, biography...?) does she cover?

Why did you find it interesting? Can you tell us a bit about it?
She mainly writes realistic Fiction. It's not really a certain genre.
It's about a little girl that has an imaginary friend, that everyone beleives is God. She starts saying that she has more imaginary friends. When she says the names of them they turn out to be old saints. Her hands and wrists start bleeding and she and her mother think that it's stigmata, but no one beleives them and they blame the mother. Saying that she's purposely hurting her daughter to get attention. And their family isn't religious.

I find it interesting simply because of the fact that it has to do in religion. It's always interested me. But I'm a strong nonbeleiver, so stigmata is kind of cool to me.

Thats how I can describe it. I don't know if I can give you.

If you are not willing to stand up for what's right, then who will? - John Bergeland

~*~[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]~*~
Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Nemesis (Offline)
That Beautiful Insanity

Thanks 87

I know that I'm coming to this late, but I have read Keeping Faith.

I was actually in Grand Forks, North Dakota at the time that I purchased it, standing beside a man that was not my fiancé.

I liked it. The characters were interesting, and I was deeply moved by Mariah's feelings of inadequacy as a mother. It may well have been what kept me reading, because as I went through the process of calling off my wedding, and regaining my independence, there were a lot of times that I felt as though I was robbing my daughter of her family.

I also liked how Picoult writes. There is something very endearing about all her characters. Even Colin, the adulterous husband, had some endearing characteristics that made you care about him.

As for the heavy religious content, I have to say that I enjoyed the author’s perspective. Picoult took an interesting subject and spun it in an interesting light. I guess it just goes to show that one can still be original, even when using a subject as tried as religion and stigmata.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library