WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Any "Song of Ice and Fire" fans here?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 AM
Peregrine (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Any "Song of Ice and Fire" fans here?

Title says it all, really...any other fans of George R. R. Martin's fantastic work?

--BTW, Daenerys ftw.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 324

The title drew me in because it sounds like Greg Bear's "Songs of Earth and Power." Can't say I've read that book, though. What genre is it?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:56 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

One of the fantasy genres' pioneers in my opinion going forward. Not an elf, orc etc. in sight. There's dragons but they're taken back to square one as in, they're fearsome and don't talk. There's not many of them either. They start off as children and there's three. Magic is very low key as well and the stories are decidedly adult. Also favourite aspect of the book is a character could die to a rabble of peasants at the drop of a hat.

Can't think of many other series out there in the genre where the writer isn't afraid to show what things were like in the medieval times with the language, violence and sex in that time. He's not afraid to use gray characters, showing their worst sides in other words and like, the real effects of wars that are so often glossed over in books. You never see the ugly side in fantasy or well, rarely. You could look at it as a version of The War of the Roses (a throne is being fought over by several parties), with the requisite fantasy elements thrown in. No quest either I might add, or if you could say there is, it's not to the same degree as something like WoT etc.

I'd start with a Game of Thrones if you're interested. However, I think it's fair to warn that the books can take forever to come out. There's four of six (?) planned out right now and he's been writing the fifth book for ages. So chances are, you could be left waiting for the next volume.

PS: Would ask if the original poster has read Bakker and Erikson's work as well?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DavidGil; 11-16-2008 at 03:03 AM..
Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Peregrine (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0

No, I havent... you've got me interested though, I'll have a look.

I should warn anyone wanting to talk about ASoIaF, I'm a complete Targaryen fanboy, lol.

Yes, it is an INCREDIBLE series, because there's an absolutely PERFECT blend of realism (example, one man can't fight an army) combined with just a TOUCH of the slightly fantastical element that any fantasy novel/series needs. It's extremely well-written, and George R.R. Martin has replaced Tolkien at the top of my pyramid of writers

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library