WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

So Few Takers, So little time

Old 11-30-2017, 08:27 PM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 9
Default So Few Takers, So little time

First, I will have to concede that I ask a lot. I would love tips and advice on getting more of my stuff published.

So I must stress that I am ready, willing and extremely eager to help anyone who helps me.

The problem is very simple: I have a ton of stuff, but only a smattering of my stuff has been published. I write in many different genres.

A few of my essays have been published. One publisher, only one publisher (It was a magazine/newspaper), paid me.

I have several hundred pages of essays already written (521 pages semi finalized and 100 more or so that need work). They pertain to politics, sexuality, religion, draw connections between the natural sciences and philosophy, and encompass a bunch of other stuff as well.

I have hundreds of poems, one novel, memoir-like pieces, one play and other stuff that defies categorization, such as my "political recipes."

My writing has not been entirely ineffectual and unnoticed. I am an attorney and my legal briefs brought in the bacon.

I have so many questions about getting published. I am afraid that if I began to pose them the reader would groan with boredom or disgust.

If anyone wants to take a shot at my questions, please say so and I'll pose a question

Old 11-30-2017, 10:47 PM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 152

I'm assuming you have submitted this work and been rejected? You could consider self publishing collections of essays, poetry whatever and try to promote it by putting samples up on a blog.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:48 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 865

Hit me!

Iíll take a shot.

Sent from my whack-ass dump hole.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 PM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 9
Default Response to Brian's "I'll take a shot."

Thanks for your attentiveness.

Let me, for a moment, concentrate on my essays:

I have hundreds of pages of non fiction essays. Only a few of them have been published. (one of my non fiction essays is on the members only thread)

I want to know what I should do:

A) Should I look for an agent? If so, how to I differentiate between decent agents and rip off artists.

B) I have put some of my essays into a Two Volume set totalling about 521 pages. Most of my essays are left wing in tone; but some of my essays are right wing. Should I split the essays up.

(I don't think most people read to be enlightened. I think people read to have their prejudices affirmed. So liberal people want to read the Nation, and conservatives want to read National Review. So maybe I should divide it in two. Of course, some of my stuff does not pertain to politics as it is normally thought of, but many of the non political stuff has either a free spiritedness that can be deemed loosely left of center or a grim, authoritarian approach that can be deemed right wing.)

I will be happy to reciprocate if you have ideas. I am a lawyer and quite willing to render legal advice or more.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing