WritersBeat.com
 

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.


freedom of speech

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-25-2018, 01:46 PM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 9,872
Thanks: 2,406
Thanks 896
Default freedom of speech


How does it interfere with political correctness?

__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-25-2018, 10:42 PM
flyingtart's Avatar
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 875
Thanks: 141
Thanks 171
Default

PC is a form of censorship. So it's diametrically opposed to freedom of speech.
__________________
Awaiting the return of the Dog’s Arse Messiah.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-25-2018)
  #3  
Old 06-26-2018, 01:05 AM
Prodigalson's Avatar
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Humboldt Co., CA
Posts: 2,189
Thanks: 229
Thanks 422
Default

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
How does it interfere with political correctness?
Free speech allows me to call a coward "yellow" unless he's Asian, in which case it's politically incorrect, even though Asians aren't yellow, and in a non-racist society, we're not supposed to see skin color anyway, or make any oblique reference to anything which may infer, confirm, or insinuate that a person's skin color is any particular hue whatsoever, unless the person is of certain stock which allows us to call them "white" even though they may be darker than many who could in all honesty be called "black" or "brown" (but never yellow) but aren't because that's not the politically correct moniker of the moment.

But if they are "white" free speech says you can talk any old shit you want to about them and they have to put up with it or if they're totally for sure really all the way politically correct, they'll agree with you,

That should clear it up.
__________________
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-26-2018)
  #4  
Old 06-26-2018, 02:26 AM
Nick Pierce's Avatar
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,401
Thanks: 2,086
Thanks 1,364
Default

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
Free speech allows me to call a coward "yellow" unless he's Asian, in which case it's politically incorrect, even though Asians aren't yellow, and in a non-racist society, we're not supposed to see skin color anyway, or make any oblique reference to anything which may infer, confirm, or insinuate that a person's skin color is any particular hue whatsoever, unless the person is of certain stock which allows us to call them "white" even though they may be darker than many who could in all honesty be called "black" or "brown" (but never yellow) but aren't because that's not the politically correct moniker of the moment.

But if they are "white" free speech says you can talk any old shit you want to about them and they have to put up with it or if they're totally for sure really all the way politically correct, they'll agree with you,

That should clear it up.

A lot of this situation goes away when everyone is blinded.

Of course the accents could be used as discrimination markers.

Okay, out with the tongues.

Oh fine. Now we are going to go with various forms of tapping?

Perforated ear drums should help solve that.

What? Touch markers?

Wrist chops with quick cauterize is the solution.

Yeah, yeah - naughty folks can still work the keyboard with their noses.
But who is gonna see it?
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-26-2018, 05:03 PM
Prodigalson's Avatar
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Humboldt Co., CA
Posts: 2,189
Thanks: 229
Thanks 422
Default

And smell, Nick. Don't people of every race think other races smell funny? Then they could type something derogatory about it, with their nose on a typewriter, but who's going to know? No one would ever see what they wrote, hear it if there were anyone left to read it to them, and braille would even be out of the question.

The perfect environment for PC-free free speech.
__________________
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-26-2018, 05:14 PM
Nick Pierce's Avatar
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,401
Thanks: 2,086
Thanks 1,364
Default

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
And smell, Nick. Don't people of every race think other races smell funny? Then they could type something derogatory about it, with their nose on a typewriter, but who's going to know? No one would ever see what they wrote, hear it if there were anyone left to read it to them, and braille would even be out of the question.

The perfect environment for PC-free free speech.

Well I do think cutting off the nose to spite discrimination would be overstepping the line of human decency.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-26-2018, 06:49 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,841
Thanks: 396
Thanks 1,044
Default

I need a safe room. I feel like you guys shouting micro-aggressions at me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-26-2018, 10:33 PM
MikeCobley (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Thanks: 2
Thanks 2
Default

I think if people had more compassion, then freedom of speech would interfere less with political correctness


Rgds
__________________
Published Works:
'The Eyes of the Devil' -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'The Shadow Grounds' -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently working: - 'Anomaly' Sci-Fi - save the world type, 'NeverLeave' - horror, and 'A Meeting of Worlds' fantasy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-26-2018, 10:47 PM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 9,872
Thanks: 2,406
Thanks 896
Default

Originally Posted by MikeCobley View Post
I think if people had more compassion, then freedom of speech would interfere less with political correctness


Rgds
I think one must define what freedom of speech is.
I mean let's consider the ''no comment'' statement does this also interfere with it to?
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-28-2018, 08:49 AM
Rhymetravilla (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanks 0
Default

It is absolutely essential. Don't get your panties in a wad. Curse me out. You have free speech.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:17 PM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 9,872
Thanks: 2,406
Thanks 896
Default

Originally Posted by Rhymetravilla View Post
It is absolutely essential. Don't get your panties in a wad. Curse me out. You have free speech.
That almost sounded like Trump sorry not offence to you.
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:39 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,841
Thanks: 396
Thanks 1,044
Default

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
I think one must define what freedom of speech is.
I mean let's consider the ''no comment'' statement does this also interfere with it to?


No. Freedom of speech means: any individual can say what they want. No comment, Fuck you, niggers are dirty, spics should go back to Mexico, whatever. That doesn’t mean the rest of us should or would take them seriously.

The vast majority of people are moderate and rational. Now, you can’t run into a theater and yell “fire!” When there isn’t one. That’s one of the few exceptions to the rule. But anything else is your right. Yeah, you might be an idiot, but you still have a right to express your idiot opinions. The rest of us are perfectly capable of a well-deserved “Fuck you.” Which is ALSO our right.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-28-2018)
  #13  
Old 06-29-2018, 01:22 AM
Prodigalson's Avatar
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Humboldt Co., CA
Posts: 2,189
Thanks: 229
Thanks 422
Default

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post

The vast majority of people are moderate and rational. Now, you can’t run into a theater and yell “fire!” When there isn’t one. That’s one of the few exceptions to the rule. But anything else is your right...
Well, almost anything. Libel and slander, while exercised frequently, are not protected.

Saying anything against my mom will be quickly and severely prosecuted. That's in the Constitution, I think.
__________________
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (06-29-2018)
Reply

  WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freedom of Speech. Mike C Writers' Cafe 49 07-16-2014 08:10 AM
Speech Tags Devon General Writing 0 02-01-2009 09:40 AM
For Freedom Write55 Fiction 5 01-29-2009 01:22 PM
The Speech Tag FAQ Winterbite Tips & Advice 8 12-06-2008 04:15 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:05 PM.

vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.