WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

famine

Old 06-19-2018, 03:27 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897
Icon3 famine

who is responsible?
are we all involved but won't see it?

please discuss

it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-19-2018, 02:32 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 67

I read a while back that there are more people alive right now on the planet than the totality of everyone who's ever lived before. When you read shit like that you have to questions their statistics, because I don't think they were exactly keeping a census in Mesopotamia. There's an awful lot of us either way. Too many of us, really. Famine is just nature's way of thinning the herd.

If you look at the long arc of history, it happens every couple hundred years or so, sometimes longer. People are getting along pretty well for a while and then out of nowhere plague, famine, etc. The people at CDC get nervous every year around flu season, because the read Stephen King's the Stand. I personally felt like King was really long-winded in that book, but a Super Flu is actually pretty reasonable. But then you look at the way all the honey bees are dying and you think "okay, it could be famine".

The point is that we've been due for a purge for a while. It's nature's way of managing itself. Are people causing it? Probably. Can they stop it? I don't think there's anything that people can do about it, except maybe stock up on dry goods, and make sure you keep one in the chamber.
The Following User Says Thank You to spshane For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 04:04 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,369

[QUOTE=spshane

make sure you keep one in the chamber.

[/QUOTE]

"All my guns are loaded all the time"
Elmer Keith
(Allegedly the creator of the .44 Magnum cartridge)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:10 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,064

The United Nations estimates a cost of $30 billion per year to end world hunger.

By comparison, the US spends $737 billion per year on its defense budget.

But something the UN doesnít answer is what will all those people do who donít starve to death? Will there be jobs? A living? Meaningful lives? Will they become Muslim extremists and vow to destroy the American way of life? Will they become Christian extremists and force others in their communities to live by Draconian rules?

What will they do?

6 times more people die around the world from American military intervention than starvation.

Are we asking the right questions here?
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:49 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 67

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
The United Nations estimates a cost of $30 billion per year to end world hunger.

By comparison, the US spends $737 billion per year on its defense budget.

But something the UN doesnít answer is what will all those people do who donít starve to death? Will there be jobs? A living? Meaningful lives? Will they become Muslim extremists and vow to destroy the American way of life? Will they become Christian extremists and force others in their communities to live by Draconian rules?

What will they do?

6 times more people die around the world from American military intervention than starvation.

Are we asking the right questions here?
Hippies don't make enough products. You can only do so much with love beads and those goddamned VW microbuses. And they don't even have good weed anymore. For the Peace Industry to be bigger than the war industry you need better products and better branding. There are defense contractors in almost every congressional district, but my last lava lamp was made in China.
brianpatrick (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 08:08 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,064

Originally Posted by spshane View Post
Hippies don't make enough products. You can only do so much with love beads and those goddamned VW microbuses. And they don't even have good weed anymore. For the Peace Industry to be bigger than the war industry you need better products and better branding. There are defense contractors in almost every congressional district, but my last lava lamp was made in China.

The peacers arenít hippies anymore. Theyíre SJWís. So... as long as youíre okay with using the appropriate gender pronoun, itís all good.

They still get shitty weed, though. Seems like the conservatives are getting the juicy nuggs these days.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:40 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 695

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
"All my guns are loaded all the time"
Elmer Keith
(Allegedly the creator of the .44 Magnum cartridge)

Elmer Kieth did convince Smith and Wesson to create a longer version of the 44 Special cartridge

I don't think Kieth played around much with the 45 long colt, probably because the brass for it in that era was weak. If Kieth had today's 45 LC brass to work with, we might never have the 44 magnum...

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:42 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 695

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
who is responsible?

please discuss

What famine?

By "are we all involved but don't see it", are you asking if everyone is contributing to the famine? Or not helping others out?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:13 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,064

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
What famine?

By "are we all involved but don't see it", are you asking if everyone is contributing to the famine? Or not helping others out?

Itís a big pile of beautiful feathers, bro. You sweep them here and you sweep them there, and always a lovely few float away on the wind. If you like you can say Jesus is commandeering them for later use in something wonderful. Or not, or not.

Starvation worldwide has decreased exponentially in the last 200 years. So has crime, murder, and general depravity, by all measures. Still, those feathers are beautiful, arenít they?
Old 06-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
It’s a big pile of beautiful feathers, bro. You sweep them here and you sweep them there, and always a lovely few float away on the wind. If you like you can say Jesus is commandeering them for later use in something wonderful. Or not, or not.

Starvation worldwide has decreased exponentially in the last 200 years. So has crime, murder, and general depravity, by all measures. Still, those feathers are beautiful, aren’t they?
there is no place for starvation in this day and age.
whilst some countries are bursting with food wastage others literally have nothing and therefore there is not one justification for famine in this world.
I know many high profile restaurants in London that throw food on a daily basis as a 'precaution' measure.
I know someone who was actually French who used to go to the back of these restaurants to salvage the food they threw everyday.
she told me the food was as good as fresh and so yeah she took it home and ate it. and she did that for a while.

That is truly shocking. There should be international laws put in place that prohibits food wastage in this scale.
I am being told in the state that the food portions are humongous.
is that true?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 06-23-2018 at 12:13 PM..
Old 06-23-2018, 12:09 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,064

there is no place for starvation in this day and age.
whilst some countries are bursting with food wastage others literally have nothing and therefore there is not one justification for famine in this world.
I know many high profile restaurants in London that throw food on a daily basis as a 'precaution' measure.
I know someone who was actually French who uses to turn up every sunday at he back of these restaurants to salvage the food they threw everyday.
she told me the food was as good as fresh and so yeah she took it home and ate it. and she did for a while.

That is truly shocking. There should international laws in place that prohibits food wastage at this scale.
I am being told in the state that the food portions are humongous.
is that true?

There are two sides to the coin with your London example. The food is thrown away due to laws and regulations wrt keeping a restaurant from making its customers sick by contamination. With that comes wasteófood that is probably good, but cannot be served to the ďpublicĒ for guideline reasons. I donít think giving the out of date food to the less fortunate is the answer to the problem.

Lifting the whole world through education and opportunity seems to be more viable.

I donít have any earth-shattering ideas on how to implement this quicker than itís already happening, but it is happening.
Nacia (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 04:59 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 67

We've been down this road before. Remember when the church was the law of the land and it used its weight to force people to do what it saw as correct. That didn't go very well for us. "People should give their extra food to the needy" is a moral argument. Yes, we can argue that there's a social good to it, but we argue the same thing for certain theocratic elements. Ultimately, it's not about which morals are the best morals; it's about whether or not a free society can use the weight of government to impose a singular moral view on the public at large. People tend not to push back on this when they're in agreement with the morals that are being enforced, but for the same reason the government could just as easily used to force you to do something you don't agree with (forcing you to carry your child to term, for example). History has proven time in again that when a government is granted this kind of power it abuses its power. Every. Single. Time. After all, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Nacia (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 05:08 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,369

Elmer Kieth did convince Smith and Wesson to create a longer version of the 44 Special cartridge

I don't think Kieth played around much with the 45 long colt, probably because the brass for it in that era was weak. If Kieth had today's 45 LC brass to work with, we might never have the 44 magnum...
What I have read (Hell, I was there and Sixguns for examples) has Elmer hot loading .45 to the point of blowing up cylinders. That is why he gravitated to .44. While the cylinder O.D. was the same the charge holes were smaller allowing more metal mass to withstand the increased pressure.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:13 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,369

[QUOTE=spshane

After all, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

[/QUOTE]

That explains the smooth ride.

Hey look, I see light up ahead.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:22 PM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897

What famine?

hi I am simply saying famine is the result of us not caring.
we understand what it is and how it could be put to an end but we simply wont address it because we have not taken care of it. we have not thought it out.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 06-23-2018 at 05:25 PM..
Old 06-23-2018, 05:28 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 67

hi I am simply saying famine is the result of us not caring.
Are hurricanes a result of not caring? Avalanches? Plague? There's a thousand and one ways to die, but a hurricane, for example, is just nature doing what nature does. It's not persuaded or influenced by our feelings toward it; it just is. Kind of like famine. Are there things people can do? Possibly. But we also give ourselves way too much credit. In the end, we're just hairless apes who drives cars. We're neither as intelligent or conscientious as we pretend.
Nacia (06-23-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 10:31 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 67

who is responsible?

please discuss

:det ective::ra nt:

I wish there was a farmer emoji, because the reason that governments sprouted from 'civil' society was gardening close to home, instead of hunting and gathering, created a surplus of food.

With the surplus, allocation of the produce was in need... and thus, 'governments' were in need of formation in order to properly store and allocate the excess food; the root cause for government was the need to deal with food allocation --

Who's fault is it that all the food is being thrown away today? -- I'm talking about "misshaped" fruits and vegetables that just don't look 'perfect' as if perfection is now what deems food good enough to market --

Foodstamps doesn't go far enough and 50% or more of food is literally wasted -- the problem is the allocation of where and what else governments / politicians are putting all the money --

The people involved with the government who aren't discussing why their government is throwing away food and paying them to do whatever it is they're doing is in full need of a history repeat because you don't just burn babies and pay people to write about it online like its a joke

Japan does really well with that bullet train. Wonder why everyone else is so far behind? Maybe because other countries haven't received the A-bomb
Old 07-07-2018, 06:56 AM
E. Zamora (Online)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 95

I'm against it.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:14 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 67

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
I'm against it.
Explain what you mean? You're a writer but what are you disagreeing with?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:49 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,064

Originally Posted by Beesauce View Post
Explain what you mean? You're a writer but what are you disagreeing with?

I assumed: famine. Iím against it too.
E. Zamora (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 05:54 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,369

If fasting promotes health in an individual can famine promote health in a world population?
JesseK1213 (07-08-2018)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table