WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

Where is everyone?

Old 01-29-2018, 02:37 AM
An old face (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 6
Default Where is everyone?

What has happened to this place?

When I used to be a member we would often have 25-50 active members all logged in at once. But now there has barely been 20 active threads in a week.

Before, the staff would always be around to make sure things were ticking over and to encourage members by offering support and commenting on threads. Now, I can't even see who's on the staff, just one or two names that I've come across in moderator colours - some not active in years.

Welcomes like the one I've received on my intro thread, which has spiraled into comments, likening my avatar to alien genitalia, would have been frowned upon in the old days, but now the staff are actually joining in on the joke. Nice.

Where are the members with publishing experience, who encouraged new talent and offered useful advice?

I'm so sorry to see what a sad and demoralised ghost town this place has become.

Beesauce (01-31-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:37 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

Sorry if my joke was offensive. I was just goofing around.

There is no ďstaffĒ that we know of, or that ever communicates with us. There is one moderator. His screen name is Mohican. He comes around once a week or two. He used to be an active mod, but since there are so few members, and from what I understand, little or no support from the home office, heís pretty hands off.

Iím not exactly sure what happened. I think it might have something to do with the site being sold by its original owner to some Corp. that has little or no interest in it. Not sure. It happened before I came here.

So now thereís a few good writers and poets working on projects and bouncing ideas around, but mostly itís a dozen or so writer-types, kibitzing (as one member recently put it).

I havenít seen you engage many members, and maybe you were just put off by my joke, but there are some friendly and helpful people here. Just not that many. There are also some trolls. Some people who just like to smash stuff. Watch out.

Btw, I am in no way staff or associated with it or moderation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Luciaphile (01-31-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:43 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 186

From what I see on your introductory thread there's a bit of light hearted banter. If you don't like it, maybe you should say so. Why do you need a mod to do it for you?
Old 01-29-2018, 03:48 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

Furthermore, there are several threads about this, long ones in fact. You might find more info there.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:06 AM
An old face (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 6

I'm all for a bit a banter, always was, but it did go on a bit, with a staffer taking part too. And it's the utter lack of member engagement I find so astonishing.

I'm sure there are lots of threads about this issue, but reviving old threads used to be frowned upon, so I started a new one.

I got my first works published due to connections I made on the WB; and I'm still in touch with a lot of people I met here, but on other social media. Some have becomes real-life friends that I've actually met up with.

I'm just so sad to see this place seems to have lost it's lively, productive buzz.

What is there to stick around for; sell this place to me.
Beesauce (01-31-2018), fleamailman (01-30-2018), Gaines (02-03-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 10:21 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 186

Why don't you sell it to yourself?

Stay or go. Please yourself. Why should anyone give a toss whether you're here, judging people and whining about how things were better in the Good Old Days? Life's too short, mate.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,379

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Why don't you sell it to yourself?

Nice one.

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

When the Great Twitter famine of 2016 hit many of the members died out. It was horrific.

Hey if you buy this place could you put in a bowling alley?
Mohican (03-10-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 06:51 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 730

There is no ďstaffĒ that we know of, or that ever communicates with us. There is one moderator. His screen name is Mohican.
Actually it's Admin/Sultan.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:10 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,062

Originally Posted by An old face View Post
I'm all for a bit a banter, always was, but it did go on a bit, with a staffer taking part too. And it's the utter lack of member engagement I find so astonishing. I'm sure there are lots of threads about this issue, but reviving old threads used to be frowned upon, so I started a new one. I got my first works published due to connections I made on the WB; and I'm still in touch with a lot of people I met here, but on other social media. Some have becomes real-life friends that I've actually met up with. I'm just so sad to see this place seems to have lost it's lively, productive buzz. What is there to stick around for; sell this place to me.
("...well I can't say that I haven't been engaging towards you, or to most folks here for that matter..." smiled the goblin who made it a habit of just welcoming anyone in the intro section as best he could, then adding "...ah no, what you lack is a "writersbeat fidelity card", so let me see, I might have one for you...", as the goblin then rummaged through his pockets till, "...ah good, here you go..." as he then held out his hand hoping his countenance wasn't too unbecoming though, then continuing "...it's all very simple human, everyone starts as an equal unknown for all one's details, so one does a post upon the forum and it gets some views perhaps, lets call those views "hits" for now, where another post will get you yet more hits still, and then with enough hits one enters the next level of "simple recognition" by both one's posts coupled with one's persona to go with it, I mean there's no pointing in posting something remarkable in itself if one can't be remembered by it, then if one continues in this manner the "simple recognition" level becomes that "um, not bad" level, and then there's the point where it all turns into that "I'm following" level on to that "expectation" level, where one then has online readership if one both wants one and if one can maintain it too I suppose...", to which the goblin just added "...btw stop making those new threads for each work you do, doing that just returns you back to square one each time, instead build things up by starting your own thread for all your works here, while still posting around though to show that you're aware of what they write here, I mean if they like you they'll need to pinpoint you by your thread there, come to think of it this fidelity card might just be what you needed in fact...", but that was just goblins for you, somehow one knew that they meant well, but one also suspected too that they had their own motives behind such kindness there, but still the card did lay flat in his outstretched hand)

Last edited by fleamailman; 02-04-2018 at 02:54 PM..
Old 01-31-2018, 08:21 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 69

You're right about that.

However, I have the answer and it goes across the Internet and on every forum. The last forum I was on went down the spiral I see here, except that forum shut down before it got to this point here with its commentary. It's a site for trolls to tell artists they suck - Honest that's what it seems like with the type of TP humor we got going on. Splash

I heard last year WB had some hacks or something and it scared a great number of talented members to go somewhere else. This is part of the answer

The rest takes a great deal to explain but can be stemmed back to the fact that this is the Internet and anyone who isn't a published writer can comment and say whatever they want and write whatever they desire

Oh! And there was this great April fools joke this year. just a foolish joke, but the OP was propagandashly outrageous

Here it is: You're All Pawns In A Game
Old 01-31-2018, 04:25 PM
Lockette (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 55

See here, This is an animal carcass.

Look how it's ribs reach towards the sky, higher than anything you've seen.

It's skull lays barren in the burning sun, It's empty eyes gaze at you longingly. It knows.

Who knows what this hulking behemoth was like in it's hey day.

Perhaps a leader of men.

Perhaps a destroyer of worlds.

Perhaps naught a bit of that. Perhaps more.

But, I think, If you look close enough, you'll see a flower.

Right in the center of the carcass, long ago slain in an act of vengeance.

This flower, relatively, is rather sad.

It sits, alone, viewing itself in all it's splendor.

It looks at the ribs, too high for the flower to see, and it says "that was me."

I think it's lonely.
Beesauce (02-08-2018), Mohican (02-04-2018), Nick Pierce (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

Thanks for the compliment, but Iím not lonely. 😀

Old 01-31-2018, 11:03 PM
anna (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 136

Welcome

Last edited by anna; 06-17-2018 at 02:25 AM..
Old 02-01-2018, 05:23 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,062

("...actually if anything the forum seems on the ups again, but readers of posts can't be blamed if those writers around them aren't writing anything much, or if those writers are writing that which readers haven't got time for neither..." related the goblin late in the afternoon while outside was yet another snowstorm, little wonder why then the goblin preferred to reply here online rather than being that other self of an old man in his reality, then turning back to topic, he restarted "...me I try for "a post a day", not much I know but I try to write something that builds up a readership by it, so one keeps an eye on the hitcount to judge things, and then collects and hews one's posts together into something that hopefully has them returning for more in one place, no anyone here could get 100view per post if they did that, I mean I'm the worst writer amongst you now, but any readership doesn't come overnight and certainly it won't come to someone who isn't here for them in actual posts...", but either way the goblin would always find somewhere to post in, where "where" was ever secondary to that more important question "with what then", and that other question "have I done my post yet", smiling "...the point is that there's no point really, but if you know that there's no point in posting, and yet still post on regardless of that truth there, then dare I surmise that it was just your nature to begin with, I mean does one need some motive for one's habit then...", and with that the goblin let be and looked over at the old man who in his turn seemed to be watching on, somehow noting the falling snow waiting for it to stop, yet neither of them knew why they did that, it just seemed an acknowledgement of sorts, something to mark the moment with their observation, pointless still)

Last edited by fleamailman; 02-02-2018 at 04:02 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Luciaphile (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 07:24 AM
Luciaphile (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 59

Lockette, did you write that lonely poem? My, it is sure good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Compliments of the Author: Debbie Bumstead
The Following User Says Thank You to Luciaphile For This Useful Post:
Beesauce (02-08-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 02:45 PM
Lockette (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 55

Originally Posted by Luciaphile View Post
Lockette, did you write that lonely poem? My, it is sure good.
It's mine. I had a bit of an epiphany, sort of.

It's okay. I don't foray into poetry very often. I think that's more free writing than anything.

But the point I was trying to make was that we're but a shadow of what we once were, but that isn't to say that we have no quality left.
Beesauce (02-08-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:03 PM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46

I actually like that this forum is so casual (for lack of a better word). It’s important to have a distance and be able to laugh at yourself and take criticism from regular people because if you are published you are read by regular people. I’ll take poop and vagina jokes over some pretentious bullshit any day.
flyingtart (02-03-2018), Mohican (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,379

Originally Posted by pralina View Post
I actually like that this forum is so casual (for lack of a better word). Itís important to have a distance and be able to laugh at yourself and take criticism from regular people because if you are published you are read by regular people. Iíll take poop and vagina jokes over some pretentious bullshit any day.

Oh you are soooo in the right place.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:45 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

Originally Posted by pralina View Post
I actually like that this forum is so casual (for lack of a better word). Itís important to have a distance and be able to laugh at yourself and take criticism from regular people because if you are published you are read by regular people. Iíll take poop and vagina jokes over some pretentious bullshit any day.

I agree. Sometimes I am rightly accused of stirring shit, or causing trouble. I do sometimes. But my intention is never to hurt anybody, really. There are people who come around and are trolling, or on a drunken rant, or over the top with self-righteousness. Those people are fair game to me. Open season. They arenít really here to participate in a meaningful way anyway.

There are some writers here who are trying, and really have potential. Those are the ones Iím looking to help. And I do when I can. Sometimes the style or genre is so out of my wheelhouse that I canít help much. Poetry for example. And there are some weird abstract people or full-time characters that blend their personas with their writing (Iím not talking about Flea), that Iím not sure what to make of.

There are also a few who probably will never get good at it. I never intentionally pick on those people. I also donít offer much help because Iím not sure what I could say that would be helpful.

Yeah, sometimes I misjudge and punch somebody (metaphorically) in the dick who doesnít deserve it. And I will be the first to apologize if itís brought to my attention.

I really donít have any hostility in general. I like to joke around, and with the wrong people, at the wrong time that causes some (usually) minor strife. But all in all I like this place and want it to continue.

Thereís been an uptick in participation recently too. Thatís encouraging.

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
pralina (02-04-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 02:28 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 123

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I agree. Sometimes I am rightly accused of stirring shit, or causing trouble. I do sometimes. But my intention is never to hurt anybody, really. There are people who come around and are trolling, or on a drunken rant, or over the top with self-righteousness. Those people are fair game to me. Open season. They arenít really here to participate in a meaningful way anyway.

There are some writers here who are trying, and really have potential. Those are the ones Iím looking to help. And I do when I can. Sometimes the style or genre is so out of my wheelhouse that I canít help much. Poetry for example. And there are some weird abstract people or full-time characters that blend their personas with their writing (Iím not talking about Flea), that Iím not sure what to make of.

There are also a few who probably will never get good at it. I never intentionally pick on those people. I also donít offer much help because Iím not sure what I could say that would be helpful.

Yeah, sometimes I misjudge and punch somebody (metaphorically) in the dick who doesnít deserve it. And I will be the first to apologize if itís brought to my attention.

I really donít have any hostility in general. I like to joke around, and with the wrong people, at the wrong time that causes some (usually) minor strife. But all in all I like this place and want it to continue.

Thereís been an uptick in participation recently too. Thatís encouraging.

I've seen you get accused of stirring shit, but honestly I don't see it. Sure you enter in with some playful banter and whatnot, but I don't see you hacking on people. It's usually just an injection of levity - sometimes that's not welcome when people have their hackles up, but I've never seen anything vicious from you.

To me you seem like one of the rare people who are genuinely curious about other people's shit.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:04 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 69

poetry banter?:

we are the ones
to tare this down
to take it all back under

Hercules assessed the barn
it's piles mounted so very high
calcified and unrecognizable

steadying his ideas
a swarm of poisonous insects
filled the barn and chased away the
ones building the offensive stench

letting the insects sting, spit, and scuttle
like a natural flying breed of dung beetle
the barns mountain of filth was rolled into balls

the balls were organized by color, by offender
and all was made right as the perpetrators
were wrangled into pens to play outside
in the yard

-- beesauce
fleamailman (02-08-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 69

Well. Lets hope they didn't all just drop like flies or die in their beds.
AM i right? Or.
Eh, Ill just go drink another beer
mm drink a day keeps the dreams at bay

Eh.
Later guys.
Maybe I should just go with Anna and Flea.
They like my pictures in that chatty game they play.
Poor anna. I doo hope she comes back now
HeyFlea! Why don't you go tie a balloon to hher chair now
she might need a helium giggle after today --yish. don't take this so seriously, it's not anything but your bosses, here, i think there's more people then there is a boss boss

what, is this a comment or a poem?
sure is getting poetic this game of metaphor

Last edited by Beesauce; 03-06-2018 at 04:33 PM..
Old 03-06-2018, 09:02 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 73

Old technology. Forum overrun by crazies.

Last edited by spshane; 03-11-2018 at 02:08 PM..
Old 03-06-2018, 10:55 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 69

Originally Posted by spshane View Post
No one would ever say in so many words, but there came a time when it was understood without needing to be told. The people who've been around for a while--the ones who were really good at reading between the lines figured it out, but they would never tell, especially not in electronic channels that are so easily recorded. But if you ran into one of the hangers-on at a coffee shop, they might ask you to step outside into the alley, and then maybe even a little bit further to make sure that you were out of range of cameras. Then, they'd tell you. It was Jesus.

It's not the rapture--well, it is, but the rapture isn't what you think it is. John got a little carried away when he was trying to jot down Revelations. At any rate, the rapture is not one big rapture but an on going series of mini-raptures going on for more than a century. Amelia Earhart was among the first to go. And remember that plane from Malaysia that disappeared in the Indian Ocean?

Some of the people in the deep state have been quietly at work, erasing websites, delete Facebook profiles, making Tweets disappear, and shutting down randoms forums. They're doing this because we're a society of people that couldn't handle the truth of Area 51. How do you think people are going to react when they realize that millions of people are quietly disappearing without a trace?

If you think really hard about it, I'm sure you noticed that random co-worker that just didn't come back one day. And no one ever heard from them, or ran into them at the grocery store. Gone.

What you really need to know is that the Antichrist is already here. Already risen to power. I'm sure if you think really hard about it, you'll figure out who he is. He's not even hiding in plain sight anymore. It's just that no one really has the nerve to say the words aloud. Too afraid of the repercussions. No one really wants to come right out and ask him: are you the Antichrist. It's more like a puzzle that you a piece together.

Anyway, that's what happened. Hope this helps.
Anti-chirst? Oh really. Well, if I remember my lesson correct that's just another word for fallen angel isn't it?

Lucifer
Devil
Satan

are they really all the same guy, I know there's more. Come on, let's provoke all the names of the antichrist we can think of it would be a hoot, no cheating!!

There's a lot of names for this mythological character. I bet you know a lot being around as long as you've been SPShane. For one, I have to admit, I was not raised into any one religion and never read any bible, but I wrote a fictional one back in high school. You'd all would have loved it, but it's lost to the darkweb of the 'aughts all about the land of nothing and the need to return to nothing.
Yes.

Well, so SpShane, you dare say you believe the antichrist is risen, and you think it's a he? Really? Hmm. With a bunch of warlords running amok, I guess a fallen angel would be in order. Wasn't he the guy who said, "Uh God, I think somethings wrong with these people.."

and so, falling, wouldn't the angel be doing his duty after having seen what he saw and saying "Someone might need to stop those guys.."

But I am just a girl who's never read the Bible, but I'm all ears for your lessons and beliefs. Tell me more it's quiet a fascinating subject all this work you do

Last edited by Beesauce; 03-07-2018 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: antichirst? see how i know nothing about what that is.. i will wait SpShane b/c you have beliefs and are a man who could doit
Old 03-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 730

Originally Posted by spshane View Post

What you really need to know is that the Antichrist is already here
Anyway, that's what happened. Hope this helps.
He finished two four year terms and is now term limited.....

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:27 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
He finished two four year terms and is now term limited.....

Heh, but his wife can still bang out 8 years😆

Sheís a lawyer, you know

Old 03-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 730

Was that the one I was referring to? (I'll let you all decide for yourselves, for your own amusement purposes)

Oh, and she used to be a lawyer?

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback