WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

do you drink and write?

Old 06-15-2018, 03:17 PM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897
Icon5 do you drink and write?

as oppose to
do you drink and drive?
on a serious note
how often under the influence do you write?

honest answers required.

it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-15-2018, 05:37 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 67

Obviously. Yes, I have.

Late last summer, I grew tired of drinking, which is different, I think, than deciding to quit drinking. It's not like I go to meetings.

I smoke an occasional bowl, maybe a couple or three times a week. I can't lay claims to sobriety, nor do I particularly care all that much.

My writing isn't any better or worse sober or otherwise, nor am I particularly invested in being "a good writer". Writing's just something I like to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to spshane For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-16-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:21 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 46

ohhhhhh yes

Not as much as I used to though. The rule I had earlier was that whenever in the story the characters were drinking I must also drink for inebriation has a logic of its own. Nowadays I still do that but I tend to less and less. Perhaps its a good thing. You could lubricate the mind so much that all you do is slip around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluewpc For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-16-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 10:35 PM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 172

Drinking while writing does two things:

It loosens your verbosity bowels. Unfortunately, like your other bowels, this mostly produces crap.

It gives you a false sense of genius. That poem scratched out in a drunken stupor is not the Meaning of Life, as you soon discover in the light of sobriety.
Nacia (06-16-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 01:35 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Yes, but only while I drive.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:40 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,064

I no longer drink alcohol so I no longer drink and write. When I did, much like spshane, there wasn’t a difference between writing sober and writing drunk as far as quality goes. It just really didn’t matter. And that goes for editing too.

I’ve heard all the “write drunk, edit sober” jiberjabber, but it never made sense to me.

The drug I could never write under the influence of was weed. It was just too much. Funny though, I could play music stoned. Didn’t make the music better or worse, but it did up my appreciation for it.

I don’t smoke weed anymore either, but it was a habit of mine for a couple decades.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I no longer drink alcohol so I no longer drink and write. When I did, much like spshane, there wasn’t a difference between writing sober and writing drunk as far as quality goes. It just really didn’t matter. And that goes for editing too.

I’ve heard all the “write drunk, edit sober” jiberjabber, but it never made sense to me.

The drug I could never write under the influence of was weed. It was just too much. Funny though, I could play music stoned. Didn’t make the music better or worse, but it did up my appreciation for it.

I don’t smoke weed anymore either, but it was a habit of mine for a couple decades.
interesting I guess it takes a lot of power to stop both drinking and smoking.
can I ask what that avatar picture is Brian if you do not mind I cannot work it out.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-18-2018, 01:56 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,064

It was easy to stop drinking and smoking weed. I never really had a big problem with it. But alcohol started giving me a “beer belly” so I stopped. I guess vanity trumps buzz😀

My avatar is “man-bun Ken” courtesy of Mohican. I can’t upload my own avatar on current software, and he was kind enough to pick one and upload.

My original avatar was a dead cockroach I’d found in a tool bag of mine. This one’s better.
Nacia (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897

It was easy to stop drinking and smoking weed. I never really had a big problem with it. But alcohol started giving me a “beer belly” so I stopped. I guess vanity trumps buzz��

My avatar is “man-bun Ken” courtesy of Mohican. I can’t upload my own avatar on current software, and he was kind enough to pick one and upload.

My original avatar was a dead cockroach I’d found in a tool bag of mine. This one’s better.
what is
“man-bun Ken”?

and oh by the way I am glad you did not go for the first option it would have put me off.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-18-2018, 02:04 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,064
Default do you drink and write?

You know the doll Barbie?

Ken is her man.

There had been many styles of Ken. This one is of long haired Ken whose pulled it up into a bun like some women do. It’s a thing these days.

Google it.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:46 PM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897

You know the doll Barbie?

Ken is her man.

There had been many styles of Ken. This one is of long haired Ken whose pulled it up into a bun like some women do. It’s a thing these days.

Google it.
of course I know Barbie
ken in here is not white right?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-18-2018, 03:02 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,064

I think he is meant to express “multiculturalism”
in this pic.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:48 PM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897

I think he is meant to express “multiculturalism”
in this pic.
really?
it all depends on which side one is standing right?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-18-2018, 05:58 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,064

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
really?

it all depends on which side one is standing right?

I suppose. For this pic he was put on a yellow background which makes his skin look darker. This was a meme sent around the internet intended to accentuate the idea of liberal extremism.
Nacia (06-18-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 12:31 AM
chippedmonk (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

hell, i'm tipsy right now. you can't legally get a drink where i'm from. a black market bottle of jack daniel's is around 150USD back home. good thing i'm on holiday in merry old colombo where my compatriots flock to, to get wasted.
brianpatrick, i think i'm the same, re: weed and writing, my thoughts often get too muddled. charlie, on the other hand, is an entirely different beast. fuck, can you write on charlie! such focus. alack! i can't do it no more; i get too panicky during the comedown. fuck, drugs.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:02 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897

Originally Posted by chippedmonk View Post
hell, i'm tipsy right now. you can't legally get a drink where i'm from. a black market bottle of jack daniel's is around 150USD back home. good thing i'm on holiday in merry old colombo where my compatriots flock to, to get wasted.
brianpatrick, i think i'm the same, re: weed and writing, my thoughts often get too muddled. charlie, on the other hand, is an entirely different beast. fuck, can you write on charlie! such focus. alack! i can't do it no more; i get too panicky during the comedown. fuck, drugs.
hello chippedmonk where you are from?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 06-21-2018 at 03:26 AM..
Old 06-21-2018, 03:17 AM
chippedmonk (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

the maldives. paradise for tourists, hell for natives.
Nacia (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:25 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897

the maldives. paradise for tourists, hell for natives.
wow you are one lucky person.
Why is it illegal to drink? I mean it is very touristic place I am guessing what happens it is rather limiting with alcohol and tourism in the Maldives?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-21-2018, 03:27 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897

I suppose. For this pic he was put on a yellow background which makes his skin look darker. This was a meme sent around the internet intended to accentuate the idea of liberal extremism.
so brianpatrick did you have a ken in your younger youth?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-21-2018, 03:54 AM
chippedmonk (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

Why is it illegal to drink?
because of our constitution which defines the maldivian state as a hundred per cent sunni muslim entity. its subjects are therefore necessarily muslim. ie if i were to declare myself christian, or atheist, or even say shi'a or sufi muslim, the state would 'advise' me to return to my (shafi'i) sunni muslim ways and if i still don't, i could potentially be stateless. oh yeah, and there are sharia penalties for muslims who drink, which our draconian penal code still prescribes.

still lucky am i?
Old 06-21-2018, 03:54 AM
chippedmonk (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

obviously the same doesn't hold for tourists vacationing there and most tourists spend their time on resort islands; private islands really, the only people on them are staff and tourists. tourists experience an entirely different world, they're in their little bubbles where they have an entire island at their disposal and they won't have to leave its shores at all, unless of course, there's a medical emergency or something.

Last edited by chippedmonk; 06-21-2018 at 04:03 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to chippedmonk For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 05:25 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897

[QUOTE]
because of our constitution which defines the maldivian state as a hundred per cent sunni muslim entity. its subjects are therefore necessarily muslim. ie if i were to declare myself christian, or atheist, or even say shi'a or sufi muslim, the state would 'advise' me to return to my (shafi'i) sunni muslim ways and if i still don't, i could potentially be stateless. oh yeah, and there are sharia penalties for muslims who drink, which our draconian penal code still prescribes.
How interesting and also obviously no so good for everyday people who wants to conduct their lives the way the wish and drinking of alcohol is one them.
I did not know that if you wanted renounce your religious duties and wished to go without it they would make you stateless that should be made illegal international laws and all that.
that is my two cents on it.
what are the penalties for drinking? is that prison?

still lucky am i?
haha yes and no. because of where you live which is exotic

so do you have to leave the country to get a drink?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-21-2018, 05:27 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897

obviously the same doesn't hold for tourists vacationing there and most tourists spend their time on resort islands; private islands really, the only people on them are staff and tourists. tourists experience an entirely different world, they're in their little bubbles where they have an entire island at their disposal and they won't have to leave its shores at all, unless of course, there's a medical emergency or something.
I experienced that when I went to Egypt for two weeks.
We were in small resorts shacked up away from the real Egypt.
when we had to leave to go to another resort we drove through the villages and you could see the state of the place poor dilapidated and really shocking nothing like the resorts we were staying in.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-22-2018, 10:23 AM
chippedmonk (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

[QUOTE=Nacia;745406]

How interesting and also obviously no so good for everyday people who wants to conduct their lives the way the wish and drinking of alcohol is one them.
I did not know that if you wanted renounce your religious duties and wished to go without it they would make you stateless that should be made illegal international laws and all that.
that is my two cents on it.
what are the penalties for drinking? is that prison?

haha yes and no. because of where you live which is exotic

so do you have to leave the country to get a drink?
well. you could get flogged. and then a mandatory stint at rehab. that is if they find you intoxicated but without any alcohol on you. if they find a bottle or a can of beer maybe, you could get jail time, it's really up to the judge. although in the past couple of years, they've stopped putting people in jail for drug/alcohol use, focussing more on rehabilitation. even for pot smokers.

as for being stateless, it shouldn't be the case. in practice, people who've renounced religion publicly have been victims of radicalised gangs. the gangsters act with complete impunity in such cases (a blogger was stabbed to death last year, another abducted and disappeared three years ago, another narrowly survived an attack on his person, and all of these incidents are connected to radicalised gangs but so far no action has been taken against those involved, while some suspects have been allowed to flee to syria). what i'm trying to say is, if you make any public statement that can be construed as unislamic, let alone anti-Islamic, whether at a forum or on social media, you're more likely to be targeted and eliminated by gangs than have the government revoke your citizenship.
Nacia (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 897

[QUOTE=chippedmonk;745446]

well. you could get flogged. and then a mandatory stint at rehab. that is if they find you intoxicated but without any alcohol on you. if they find a bottle or a can of beer maybe, you could get jail time, it's really up to the judge. although in the past couple of years, they've stopped putting people in jail for drug/alcohol use, focussing more on rehabilitation. even for pot smokers.

as for being stateless, it shouldn't be the case. in practice, people who've renounced religion publicly have been victims of radicalised gangs. the gangsters act with complete impunity in such cases (a blogger was stabbed to death last year, another abducted and disappeared three years ago, another narrowly survived an attack on his person, and all of these incidents are connected to radicalised gangs but so far no action has been taken against those involved, while some suspects have been allowed to flee to syria). what i'm trying to say is, if you make any public statement that can be construed as unislamic, let alone anti-Islamic, whether at a forum or on social media, you're more likely to be targeted and eliminated by gangs than have the government revoke your citizenship.
wow what a shocker I cannot believe this goes on in this day and age.
I mean you sound so positive although all this is going on.
How do you come to speak fluent English hope you do not mind me asking?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-22-2018, 11:22 PM
chippedmonk (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

wow what a shocker I cannot believe this goes on in this day and age.
I mean you sound so positive although all this is going on.
yeah you and me both nacia.
why am i so chipper you ask? maybe because of all the sweet champagne i drank during my holiday.
in spite of everything though, i don't entirely hate it here; perhaps it's a case of stockholm syndrome but there's a lot of cool stuff too.

just to give you an idea, we have over a thousand islands, 200 of which are inhabited. the inhabited islands are very interesting, they have a different way of life from us city folk. the vast majority of them are communities of less than a thousand people. and they have stories to tell, especially the elders. plus the islanders are very welcoming, you'd likely get invited to meals if you went. and the meals are gobsmackingly good. ultra fresh ingredients. just caught fish and such. god i love me some island food. of course, these communities are very conservative, but i guess when in rome...

and these (inhabited) islands are just starting to get familiar with tourism. guesthouses are becoming a thing, even on some of the most far-flung places. i guess it'll help with conservatism in the long run, open their eyes to the world. maybe you should visit it's a far cheaper alternative to resorts and an island is an island. ie you get white sandy beaches on all of them. and bluegreen lagoons etc.

Originally Posted by Nacia
How do you come to speak fluent English hope you do not mind me asking?
i read and watch a lot of TV so i guess that must have had the desired effect

Last edited by chippedmonk; 06-23-2018 at 12:09 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to chippedmonk For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-23-2018)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table