WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

What Christians REALLY Believe

Old 07-04-2018, 01:34 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Beware

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-05-2018 at 02:02 PM..
Old 07-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
They are interested only in numbers and the loudest shouters couldn't care less about discovering "truths." They are much more harmful than the old Santa and the innocent bunny.

The best advice is to seek himself/herself. Don't follow someone because they shout louder. Remember, truth stands alone and isn't noisy.
Right, because "the creator impregnating a teenage girl, so that their son could be killed to remove a curse caused because a woman was tricked into eating a magic piece of fruit by a talking snake" is the truth.

Isn't truth based on facts?

And where is the evidence to support these supposed "facts"?
Old 07-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
Right, because "the creator impregnating a teenage girl, so that their son could be killed to remove a curse caused because a woman was tricked into eating a magic piece of fruit by a talking snake" is the truth.

Isn't truth based on facts?

And where is the evidence to support these supposed "facts"?
Gr

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-05-2018 at 02:01 PM..
Old 07-04-2018, 05:31 PM
JesseK1213 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 24

“If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter whether he was God or not?” -- Kurt Vonnegut (who's up in heaven now, or at least, that's his favorite joke)
Old 07-05-2018, 12:50 AM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

In June, 1981, the Blessed Mother began communicating with six children in Medjugorje. Today, one of the biggest Catholic shrines is at the spot. Her presence is still felt there and thousands of healings have taken place.

Our Lady of Kibebo appeared to African school children during the early 1980s foretelling the Rwanda genocide. Today a shrine stands in that location.

Why all this venomous hate towards Christianity? Loosen up the bolts in your head and do some unbiased research. You'll be amazed at the "facts" you'll discover.
None of this is evidence for the "supposed facts" of the Christian narrative mentioned in the OP. This post is completely useless in that regard.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:33 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Open a window to let some fresh air inside.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:00 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 920

Open a window to let some fresh air inside.
did you mean draw the curtains the window is already open?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 07-05-2018, 07:00 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
did you mean draw the curtains the window is already open?

What I meant was

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-05-2018 at 02:00 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
Nacia (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 07:50 AM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

What I meant was that he's wound too tightly around his own stale thoughts. He's supposed to be an artist, a writer, someone who is creative. There isn't anything creative about despising a group of people for no good reason. Now, if he's fifteen or under, he's due an apology. But, if he's older, he needs to grow up fast, really fast.
There's a difference between hating the disease and the one who's fallen victim to it. Do I despise people who have cancer? Nope, not at all. I feel for them. But do I hate cancer? Yup.

In the same way, I view religion and religious people. They're victims of terrible mind viruses.

Christians have a phrase: "Hate the sin; love the sinner." Maybe that could be altered to: "Hate the religion; love the religious people."
The Following User Says Thank You to Konan For This Useful Post:
Nacia (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:04 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 920

There's a difference between hating the disease and the one who's fallen victim to it. Do I despise people who have cancer? Nope, not at all. I feel for them. But do I hate cancer? Yup.

In the same way, I view religion and religious people. They're victims of terrible mind viruses.

Christians have a phrase: "Hate the sin; love the sinner." Maybe that could be altered to: "Hate the religion; love the religious people."
what is the difference between
hate the sin
love the sinner?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 07-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

You're good for a laugh. Comedy, that's your ticket outta this place.

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-05-2018 at 07:34 PM..
Old 07-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

You're good for a laugh. Comedy, that's your ticket outta this place.
Yeah, I know. Believers don't like atheists and agnostics' views of them and their religions. Just the way it is, though, isn't it?
Old 07-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Yeah, I know. Believers don't like atheists and agnostics' views of them and their religions. Just the way it is, though, isn't it?

Shed some light on your statement:

According to your logic, a religious fanatic who has no regard for science and believes it is a poison for mankind would be justified in considering you as a victim of a terrible disease. How extreme is that?

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-06-2018 at 10:15 AM..
Old 07-06-2018, 10:45 AM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Shed some light on your statement:

According to your logic, a religious fanatic who has no regard for science and believes it is a poison for mankind would be justified in considering you as a victim of a terrible disease. How extreme is that?

I would just consider them delusional.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

I would just consider them delusional.
That's the point -- with that train of thought, you yourself are delusional.

When your train stops at the station, hop off and board another because if you don't, you'll remain in a dark tunnel your entire life -- thinking as you currently do. You're an extremist and completely unaware.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:36 AM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

That's the point -- with that train of thought, you yourself are delusional.
No, I live in reality.

And a fact of reality is that all religions were invented in some old guys' imaginations. They just made it all up, and now many believe those fictions to be true.

And that's the truth of the matter.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

No, I live in reality.

And a fact of reality is that all religions were invented in some old guys' imaginations. They just made it all up, and now many believe those fictions to be true.

And that's the truth of the matter.
Truth? You're starting to sound like Jim Jones.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Truth? You're starting to sound like Jim Jones.
Wanna join my cult? Founding members get more sexual privileges. *wink wink*
Old 07-07-2018, 05:25 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

I really like the way Jesus shows up from time to time on tortillas and toast etc. That's very cool.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:00 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 495

Yeah - you don't see Buddha or Mohamed popping up in water stains on the ceiling or in cow patties, do you?

Now who's the only one?

On a more serious note, Cityboy, what if it were proven that all spirit contacts were orchestrated by players in a game of which we are a part?

What if the whole charade were to be exposed, with the players introducing themselves and showing us the whole layout, explaining the rules, and teaching us how to play?

Would you be willing to accept that you were wrong, that you'd been taken by tricksters, and would you be able to accept your new reality?

And meanwhile,, how do you reconcile your claim to Christianity, while espousing communication with the spirits of the dead? Is not that expressly forbidden by God?
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:02 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 186

Last edited by flyingtart; 07-08-2018 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: Some miracles are too much for some.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:13 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 920

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
I really like the way Jesus shows up from time to time on tortillas and toast etc. That's very cool.
are they the limited edition ones?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 07-07-2018, 09:14 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 920

flying tart that is totally unnecessary I am trying to read and it is in the way.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 07-08-2018 at 11:42 PM..
Old 07-07-2018, 09:23 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 186

It's a miracle!
Old 07-07-2018, 11:23 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

In 1997 when my oldest daughter was four, I was making her toast and when it popped up there was an image of the Virgin Mary emblazoned on the bread. I called my local bishop (my wife is a devout Catholic), and was granted a meeting the next day.
The bishop was a really nice guy, sort of a cross between Mr. Rogers and Robert Deniro in Goodfellas. I didn’t go often to downtown Phoenix, but that’s where his office was so I went.

I was smoking a lot of weed in those days and prone to paranoia, well, I didn’t think of it as paranoia, but an acute awareness of what might be going on wrong in the world—there’s a difference. I counted thirteen doves looking at me, on my walk from the parking garage to the small offices in back of the church. It felt like they knew.

I carried the toast in a plastic sandwich bag and pulled it out of my pocket every so often to make sure the image was still there. It was. It was unmistakeable. She looked like a sixteenth century etching, and she seemed to be smiling at me. Not just any smile, but one that said: I know you, and I love you anyway.

The offices were smaller than I expected, less ornate. They were just like small offices everywhere. Bishop Arno had a picture of himself with the Pope on his desk, and a reproduction of a famous painting by Caravaggio of Christ praying at Gethsemane behind him. I’d seen lots of paintings by the master, and this one seemed like not his best work. There was something forced about it.

The bishop was seated when I came in; the door was open. At first I thought it was going to be really weird, but he was immediately disarming. “Mr. Patrick, welcome. When I got your message I was intrigued. Did you bring the, uh toast?”

Now, this was ‘97. We’d just bought our daughters that Nintendo 64 gismo and the Pokémon Snap game. It was where you rode around on a train and snapped pictures of different Pokémon. One of our neighbors had been telling my wife that Pokémon was actually a demonic invention, corrupting the minds of young children in America. I wasn’t sure about that, but as I pulled the toast out of my pocket, I wondered if this whole thing was being influenced by the devil. Maybe we’d fucked-up, and were under the influence of Satan. The bishop would know, wouldn’t he? Surely if this were the case he’d see it and help, right?

“Yeah, I was sure who to call when I found it. I mean, who else, right?” I placed the bag on the desk, head toward me, and stepped back a little. I wanted him to get a good unhindered look. I wanted it to be a miracle, a holy sign. God was such a strange and complicated idea. Virginia believed with all her being, and I loved her. There must be some overlap in there.

“I really want to thank you for taking this seriously,” said bishop Arno. “Miracles come around so infrequently.”

“So, this is a miracle, then?”

“Now, now, I didn’t say that yet. Let me see.” He looked for maybe a minute. He followed the lines, widened his eyes at the edges, and said hmm... several times. He dipped his shoulder like a weight lifter and scratched his chin. “I can see maybe what you see here, but maybe you could...”

“Show you?” I said. I traced the outline of the blessed virgin with my index finger.

“Yes, I see that.” he said. “I see what you saw. But I’m not sure this qualifies as a miracle. There are strange coincidences in life and this might be one of them. We may need to wait for another sign. Meanwhile if you don’t mind, I’d like to send this off to Rome. Have you taken a picture of it for posterity?”

“Posterity?” I asked.

“Something to remember it by. They don’t often return these things.”

“I didn’t think to take a picture. I’m sure whatever you guys decide will be good enough for me. You’re the experts.”

“Very well Mr. Patrick,” he said. “I’ll keep you informed. And again, thank you for bringing this to my attention.”

For the next while I kept asking my wife if she’d heard anything from Father Mike, but there was never any word. I should have taken that picture after all.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:49 PM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

That's a really good story!

BTW, I looked at my dog's butt. It doesn't look anything like Jesus. More like Mike Pence.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

brianpatrick, you went to see a priest to check if your toast was a miracle? I thought you were beyond that sort of nonsense. I'm disappointed in you.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:14 PM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

You're right. That was a waste of perfectly good toast.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:21 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 186

That's a really good story!

BTW, I looked at my dog's butt. It doesn't look anything like Jesus. More like Mike Pence.
Maybe you should start worshipping Mike Pence.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:30 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

brianpatrick, you went to see a priest to check if your toast was a miracle? I thought you were beyond that sort of nonsense. I'm disappointed in you.

Ha ha, Not a priest, a bishop. They got bigger balls.

Actually, this is part of a longer Brian and Virginia story I wrote a while ago. When E. Z. posted the wise-crack I remembered it, and thought it would be funny.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table