WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

No Trump thread?

Old 07-14-2018, 04:47 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 187
Default No Trump thread?

The Donald is in my country at the moment, evidenced by the millions demonstrating against him. It's good to see so many people willing to speak out against the Arsehole in Chief.

But it's odd no one on here speaks about him any more. Don't big issues like civil rights and the rise of fascism matter any more? Would y'all rather bicker about Jesus?

Old 07-14-2018, 05:53 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 158

In my case, it would simply be about Trump fatigue. Maybe if you lived in the States you'd feel the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to E. Zamora For This Useful Post:
flyingtart (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 07:08 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
The Donald is in my country at the moment, evidenced by the millions demonstrating against him. It's good to see so many people willing to speak out against the Arsehole in Chief.

But it's odd no one on here speaks about him any more. Don't big issues like civil rights and the rise of fascism matter any more? Would y'all rather bicker about Jesus?

what civil rights has tRUMP, by himself ended?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:14 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 187

Well, there's putting kids in cages for a kick off. But maybe you yanks don't see anything wrong with that.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:12 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
In my case, it would simply be about Trump fatigue. Maybe if you lived in the States you'd feel the same.
LOL very funny. Are you sure it is not just a photoshop of his true self?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 07-14-2018, 10:36 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

To me itís the ďpoliticalĒ problem. I just donít want to be part of that conversation except for in passing.

When Obama was elected the righties invented the Tea Party (radicals and religious fanatics) to advance a political agenda that wasnít very popular in the mainstream, could never really be. Still, they succeeded somewhat in their charade by obstructing his presidency and making him out to be worse than he was. Iím not saying he was a great president overall (he wasnít really liberal enough for me, went along with the corporatist agenda and passed Obamacare instead of fighting for single payer healthcare. Then there were the wars and drone bombings, etc). I think he could have done better, but maybe not.

Now, the lefties have their own Tea Party obstructionists in the form of the radical left, SJWís. Iím liberal generally, but these people are just as detrimental to the US as the radical righties were. They are so far out of touch with the mainstream that they are going to basically give Trumpty-Dumpty another term without him even having to work very hard for it.

The vast majority of Americans are pretty moderate. The radical ends of the spectrum are just noisy and they are good TV so they get heard and covered by media. This seems to be our new reality in America. I do see stirrings from a moderate middle uprising that could take hold and knock a lot of this radical crap down a few notches, but that remains to be seen. Guys like Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, the Weinstein brothers Eric and Brett, and many others are gaining some traction, and itís possible that the more moderate voices will become corrupted as they gain popularity, who knows.

Trump so far has been more of a circus show than anything else. His policies are an experiment I havenít really seen before, or canít recognize. The kids in cages thing is more a bad PR move than actual cruelty. Yeah, itís sad these kids are separated from their parents, it is, but it beats living in a war zone or trekking through the Arizona desert in the middle of the summer. Iím a little concerned that building a wall will more likely be used to keep Americans in than keeping illegals out, eventually (if the radicals get their way).

Letís hope cooler heads prevail.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
flyingtart (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 01:55 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Well, there's putting kids in cages for a kick off. But maybe you yanks don't see anything wrong with that.

that was a practice started before tRUMP. and some of the pictures of kids in cages are a bit misleading.

Few people ask enough questions or the right questions about these kids.

Are the adults with them their real parents, or in some (a lot maybe) cases human traffickers?

In any other law enforcement setting, kids are separated from their parents or the adults they are with if the adults are breaking the law.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:10 PM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 158

Yes, and while the situation was made worse by the so-called zero tolerance policy, a lot of the outrage was fomented by the media, who largely ignored similar practices that happened under prior administrations.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:55 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Thread Drift:

So, are people getting arrested in the London, or the UK in general for non approved

a bit of a meme served up, and a question: Why complain about tRUMP when you have your rights abrogated in such a fashion?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:15 PM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 187

Itís a bit before my time but Iím guessing folk found excuses for Hitler too back in the day. Funny how so called Christians donít let Ďsuffer the little childrení get in the way of their bigotry when it comes to foreigners.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

I think the question
Is Trump more important then America?
is more appropriate.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 07-16-2018, 03:17 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
I think the question
Is Trump more important then America?
is more appropriate.

Good question, and I think heís not. It would be hard for any one president to destroy the country. I think someone would have to be intentionally trying to destroy America, and even then heíd/sheíd probably get impeached before that happened.

I donít see Trump in any way like a Hitler. I donít apologize for him; heís done some dopey shit, but heís no dictator.
Nacia (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 05:50 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

by flyingtart: Itís a bit before my time but Iím guessing folk found excuses for Hitler too back in the day. Funny how so called Christians donít let Ďsuffer the little childrení get in the way of their bigotry when it comes to foreigners.

Invoking Hitler?

And then making a sideswipe against Christians?

What if some of those pictures of kids in cages were taken....In 2014 when Obama was president?

What if the "cages" were more like fenced areas when kids were being separated/processed? The kids move on to facilities where they are fed, schooled, etc. Those kids are better cared for than a lot of kids in detention facilities and are in better conditions than many kids that are placed in foster homes.

And as I mentioned - what if some of the children aren't with parents, but with human traffickers? Wouldn't the Christian thing to do be to make sure these people are parents or legitimate care givers?

If you are in old blighty, and you break the law, do your children stay with you while you are being processed? Or does the state take your children? Remember, the majority of these people are breaking our law.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:55 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 187

Actually, I may have misjudged the Donald. At least he's not singing from the CIA hymn sheet on the demonisation of Vlad. Hooray for Trump!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 187

Hilarious. Donald is now claiming he meant to say "wouldn't" instead of "would be Russia" at yesterday's press conference. I'm guessing someone at the CIA sent him a copy of the Zapruder film to help change his mind.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:51 PM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 158

The Peter Princple at its finest.
brianpatrick (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:03 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

The Peter Princple at its finest.

Yeah, but thereís no where to go up from Trumps job. Is this the point he declares himself dictator and stalls in that capacity until one of his generals gets enough balls to overthrow him?

Heís only 70... that could take a while.
E. Zamora (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Yeah, but there’s no where to go up from Trumps job. Is this the point he declares himself dictator and stalls in that capacity until one of his generals gets enough balls to overthrow him?

He’s only 70... that could take a while.
That is getting on a bit. Should he not be retiring. His wife looks younger. That is the probably they look they want to promote.
Just out of interest who was the youngest president of America.
I see there are no women president as of yet.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 07-17-2018, 01:23 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

I think John Kennedy was the youngest.
Nacia (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:37 PM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 158

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Yeah, but thereís no where to go up from Trumps job. Is this the point he declares himself dictator and stalls in that capacity until one of his generals gets enough balls to overthrow him?

Heís only 70... that could take a while.
Sure, but you can reach the limit of competency at the top level. In the corporate world, that's probably where it happens the most, or where it's most evident, anyway.
brianpatrick (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:06 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

Sure, but you can reach the limit of competency at the top level. In the corporate world, that's probably where it happens the most, or where it's most evident, anyway.
I think corporate and presidency do not good hand to hand.
It is actually detrimental. That is what I think.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 07-17-2018, 02:13 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
I think corporate and presidency do not good hand to hand.
It is actually detrimental. That is what I think.

Itís the American way
Nacia (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:18 PM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 158

Especially in Trump's mind; and considering the whole notion that "a good businessman" will know how to run things.
Nacia (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:40 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

Knowing the kind of rape statistics which come out of system of smuggling people across the US/Mexico border any parent who willingly puts their children in that kind of danger is a scumbag in my book.

Some say 80% of women are raped, that it is almost something people accept as collateral damage for gaining access to the country.

What right thinking parent would do it?
Old 07-18-2018, 07:15 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

I wish I had a dollar for every Democrat who has increased his or her medication since Trump won the election. Liberals used to be the party of peace and love; however, these days (thanks to Trump's victory), they have become the party of war and hate.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:02 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

It’s a bit before my time but I’m guessing folk found excuses for Hitler too back in the day. Funny how so called Christians don’t let ‘suffer the little children’ get in the way of their bigotry when it comes to foreigners.

What does the teachings of Christ have to do with human behavior? Jesus, along with many other wise people, instructed us to "Love our enemies." People behave as they want. When a woman aborts a baby, Liberals scream she has a right to because its her body, her decision. So, now if a person turns his back on a child, it's bigotry? Doesn't that same person have the same right as the woman aborting the baby? When was the last time you combed the streets looking for unwanted children to take them home?

Why do Democrats want to view Russia as a foe and keep Russia as a foe? Where was all this Russian hysteria for eight years when Obama was President? As far as I'm concerned, both parties are full of shit, conning weak-minded voters. But, getting back to your "Christianity" viewpoint, I have to disagree with you. "Love your enemies" doesn't exclude Russia. "Love your enemies" and try to respect them in hopes of one day turning them into your friend -- that's the Christian blueprint from its founder, Jesus Christ.

You know, you better be careful with all this "Russian enemy and hate talk." You poke the Reds too hard and cause freaking missiles to start dropping from the skies, we're all fucked. This is not joke.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:41 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

One last jab (and no fan of Trump here) -- But, when he talked tough to North Korea, the Left accused him of trying to start a war. Now, he goes soft with Putin, and the same Left accuses him of sleeping with the enemy. I mean, this is a comedy. All these politicians are full of shit, but when people start playing the same stupid game, the people themselves become full of shit. The Left cannot see through its own "hate" that they have for this president. Trump has turned them from angry to mad (insane).
Old 07-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 518

I've scheduled myself for a thorough mental examination, because Cityboy and I agree on something.

Could this be the beginning of something beautiful?
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:30 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 158

You know what they say about a broken clock...

Last edited by E. Zamora; 07-20-2018 at 06:36 AM..
Old 07-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 230

Ok controversial point: -
1) I am not US so I am remote from this.
2) Trump amuses me because he stirs up a certain class of narcissist who needs a good reality check.
3) Trump irritates the worst offenders. How dare Hollywood moralise when they have been complicit in hideous behaviour for decades.
4) He is a prize twat, I do admit that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chinspinner For This Useful Post:
Mohican (07-22-2018)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table