WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Why are male singers such pussies today?

Old 07-16-2018, 03:02 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
The very first time I've seen this observation. It's all rather ironic, is it not?
LOL that almost read like
the removal of goods.

it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 07-16-2018, 03:08 PM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 158

That's what I was getting at!
The Following User Says Thank You to E. Zamora For This Useful Post:
Nacia (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:38 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
It takes something a little more to get and secure the hotties.

What is that, I wonder.

Women are attracted by men who can provide for them and their children. Sometimes this means a masculine man, but sometimes not. Intelligence is also a welcome virtue. So is a unique skill that comes with status (or the likely possibility of status/money) like musical or artistic talent, business acumen, or just solid family values type organizational skills and a plan.

Women choose who they will mate with. If male singers who sound like “pussies” weren’t desirable I don’t think any of them would be getting laid. We should ask Adam Levine how he’s doing in the tail department. Or for that matter: Ed Sheeran. Pretty sure they’re not wanting.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:50 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Women are attracted by men who can provide for them and their children. Sometimes this means a masculine man, but sometimes not. Intelligence is also a welcome virtue. So is a unique skill that comes with status (or the likely possibility of status/money) like musical or artistic talent, business acumen, or just solid family values type organizational skills and a plan.

Women choose who they will mate with. If male singers who sound like “pussies” weren’t desirable I don’t think any of them would be getting laid. We should ask Adam Levine how he’s doing in the tail department. Or for that matter: Ed Sheeran. Pretty sure they’re not wanting.
Actually, I'm pretty sure Ed Sheeran sucked in the tail department. He's now engaged (maybe married by now) to a woman he knew before he was famous. She's not much to look at either. Like Justin Bieber, who doesn't believe in "giving it away freely", I doubt Ed got much, due to his limiting beliefs.

But I'm surprised you got it right. Most men have no idea what women find attractive in a man. They assume women are like them, that they're in it for the physical attractiveness. But they're not. As you probably know, it's about the resources a man commands and the (high) number of sexual partners he's already had (which I find ironic, since it means they're attracted to cheaters and guys who otherwise treat them like shit). But it's true. When I treat women good, they ignore me. But the moment I start treating them like dirt, suddenly they're dropping their panties.

Nature is fucked up! But hey, it's just the way the world is.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:58 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Actually, I'm pretty sure Ed Sheeran sucked in the tail department. He's now engaged (maybe married by now) to a woman he knew before he was famous. She's not much to look at either. Like Justin Bieber, who doesn't believe in "giving it away freely", I doubt Ed got much, due to his limiting beliefs.

But I'm surprised you got it right. Most men have no idea what women find attractive in a man. They assume women are like them, that they're in it for the physical attractiveness. But they're not. As you probably know, it's about the resources a man commands and the (high) number of sexual partners he's already had (which I find ironic, since it means they're attracted to cheaters and guys who otherwise treat them like shit). But it's true. When I treat women good, they ignore me. But the moment I start treating them like dirt, suddenly they're dropping their panties.

Nature is fucked up! But hey, it's just the way the world is.

How could you possibly be surprised I got it right? Are you a not paying paying attention?

btw, you will never find a good mate by playing a bad guy stereotype. Yeah, you can get tail, but the good stuff is several steps beyond that. A good woman will see past the disguise and demand more of you.

Last edited by Mohican; 07-22-2018 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: edted out namecalling. tsk tsk
Old 07-16-2018, 06:16 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

How could you possibly be surprised I got it right? Are you a moron, or just not paying attention?

btw, you will never find a good mate by playing a bad guy stereotype. Yeah, you can get tail, but the good stuff is several steps beyond that. A good woman will see past the disguise and demand more of you.
What if it's not a disguise? What if I'm rotten to the bone?

P.S. No need to get offended. Most men simply don't know.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:40 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

What if it's not a disguise? What if I'm rotten to the bone?

P.S. No need to get offended. Most men simply don't know.

You might be rotten to the bone, but I doubt it. The jury is still out. You may just be young.

I’m not the least bit offended. There are a few people here who could offend me, and thankfully they choose not to.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:49 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

You might be rotten to the bone, but I doubt it. The jury is still out. You may just be young.

I’m not the least bit offended. There are a few people here who could offend me, and thankfully they choose not to.
You do remember I'm a schizophrenic arsonist who's now an outcast in his community, right? I actually had numerous cute young women contacting me via Facebook when I confessed to my crime and the news went public. It still wasn't worth it.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:01 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

You do remember I'm a schizophrenic arsonist who's now an outcast in his community, right? I actually had numerous cute young women contacting me via Facebook when I confessed to my crime and the news went public. It still wasn't worth it.

Well, there’s that...

Why did you commit arson? Was it serial arson?
Old 07-17-2018, 04:45 AM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 158

More or less what I was driving at. But if you look around, as far as attractiveness and money are concerned, both men and women generally stay within their range, so to speak. I think that just happens naturally for the most part. If it's conscious, then people who have any kind of self awareness will probably stay within that range and be content.

Of course, there are variables, people who are very attractive, wealthy, intelligent etc. Just plain old decency is a factor too and sometimes a pairing seems kind of inexplicable. There are a lot of shades of gray.

And as far as how women consider men, of course looks are a factor, and it can be a pretty big one if you consider how a lot of couples initially get together based on a spontaneous attraction. How big a factor it is and remains depends on a lot of variables too. (And that cuts both ways.) But Konan's notion that looks don't matter to women is ridiculous. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was based on wishful thinking.

Last edited by E. Zamora; 07-17-2018 at 05:01 AM..
Old 07-17-2018, 07:53 AM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Well, there’s that...

Why did you commit arson? Was it serial arson?
Yeah, we committed three of them and countless break and enters, but when I came forward and spilled the beans to the cops, we were only charged for the major arson. It was of a replica windmill, which is the symbol of my home town. People were outraged when it happened, like it was an assault on the entire community. My reputation will never recover from it, at least not in my city and surrounding areas.

As for the reason, that's a long story. If you're curious though, PM message me. I don't want to share that publicly.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:56 AM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 158

Cool. I bet you pick up lots of "hotties" with that story.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:53 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Yeah, we committed three of them and countless break and enters, but when I came forward and spilled the beans to the cops, we were only charged for the major arson. It was of a replica windmill, which is the symbol of my home town. People were outraged when it happened, like it was an assault on the entire community. My reputation will never recover from it, at least not in my city and surrounding areas.

As for the reason, that's a long story. If you're curious though, PM message me. I don't want to share that publicly.

I’m fascinated by that kind of thing, the way people can and will (or won’t) act in certain ways and their motivations behind all of it. I don’t think I want to know the rest of the real story though, don’t know if I could keep myself from turning it into a short story and betraying you in that regard. Still, what you’ve said thus far would make a really good short story. The set-up has endless possibilities.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:26 AM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

I’m fascinated by that kind of thing, the way people can and will (or won’t) act in certain ways and their motivations behind all of it. I don’t think I want to know the rest of the real story though, don’t know if I could keep myself from turning it into a short story and betraying you in that regard. Still, what you’ve said thus far would make a really good short story. The set-up has endless possibilities.
Perhaps. I once toyed with the idea of writing a complete account of me and my accomplices "adventures". My mom thought it was a bad idea. She said stories about crimes have been done before, and the public tends to respond negatively to them for profiting from crime. At any rate, I don't see myself writing anything about that.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:27 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Perhaps. I once toyed with the idea of writing a complete account of me and my accomplices "adventures". My mom thought it was a bad idea. She said stories about crimes have been done before, and the public tends to respond negatively to them for profiting from crime. At any rate, I don't see myself writing anything about that.

Yeah well, that’s the wrong story. In the story I picture “crime” and “adventure” are just back-drops to the real story.

Fictionalize the whole thing and write that. Make yourself the hero. Lie, cheat, and steal to get to the guts of it. Then you’ll have a good story. One that tells something about all of us.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:05 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,382

So, if a girl puts an unlit cigarette near her lips, looks at you and says "Gotta light?" does that throw up red flags in your mind?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:46 AM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Yeah well, that’s the wrong story. In the story I picture “crime” and “adventure” are just back-drops to the real story.

Fictionalize the whole thing and write that. Make yourself the hero. Lie, cheat, and steal to get to the guts of it. Then you’ll have a good story. One that tells something about all of us.
Well, if the "crime" and "adventure" are just the back-drop, what would be the at the forefront?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:19 AM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 158

The full array of human emotions?
Old 07-19-2018, 11:51 AM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
The full array of human emotions?
Well, yeah, obviously. But those have to brought out through the action. And if the action isn't the incidents of the crimes, what would they be?
Old 07-19-2018, 02:15 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Well, yeah, obviously. But those have to brought out through the action. And if the action isn't the incidents of the crimes, what would they be?

Peoples actions often don’t mirror their feelings, thoughts. I’m sure you’ve seen that in action with the Alexander Technic. Physical actions are often bad programs, still running even though the person “intellectually” knows better.

To be a good writer you have to see that disconnect and be able to surround the whole mechanism. You have to be able to comment from a place of knowledge. This place is known by people, but they seldom put two and two together. When they read it, though, they get it instantly on another level. They might not know why they get it (all the better) but they do.

It’s the small stuff that counts, the details, the idiosyncrasies, the passing thoughts, actions without regard for the things they really know that make good fiction and stories. The reader knows something is wrong, or happening beyond the characters control, and they want to see what they will do next.

Based on what you’ve said so far I could write you a devastating and powerful story. Easy. But I’d like to see YOU write that.

Do that... but be “honest.” Being honest doesn’t mean telling the truth about the situation, but telling the truth of how it felt. We all feel those feelings, and we love reading them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Chinspinner (07-27-2018), Prodigalson (07-19-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 230

I did not read all, but I do have thoughts, haha. Ok the entertainment industry is quite distant from the pulse of normal's, since it is occupied by very privileged or trait-open individuals. Privileged people in entertainment and trait-open people tend to have one thing in common; they tend to give precedence to more left leaning attributes, i.e feelings. They also recognise that as a privileged minority, they are potentially the problem.

So we now have very guilt-ridden, rich, left-leaning producers desperately trying to undo their perceived guilt. Which is combined with the Pavlovian bell of minority opinion in their own personal spheres, such as Twitter. The result of this is that you get very weak, guilt-ridden individuals desperately trying to court positive opinion from Twitter extremists. So they inflict equally weak men like Ed Sheeran on us.

haha, that's it.

Last edited by Chinspinner; 07-20-2018 at 06:02 PM..
Old 07-21-2018, 09:00 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
I did not read all, but I do have thoughts, haha. Ok the entertainment industry is quite distant from the pulse of normal's, since it is occupied by very privileged or trait-open individuals. Privileged people in entertainment and trait-open people tend to have one thing in common; they tend to give precedence to more left leaning attributes, i.e feelings. They also recognise that as a privileged minority, they are potentially the problem.

So we now have very guilt-ridden, rich, left-leaning producers desperately trying to undo their perceived guilt. Which is combined with the Pavlovian bell of minority opinion in their own personal spheres, such as Twitter. The result of this is that you get very weak, guilt-ridden individuals desperately trying to court positive opinion from Twitter extremists. So they inflict equally weak men like Ed Sheeran on us.

haha, that's it.

Most producers and Execs are just looking for content that will turn a profit without getting them in hot water with advertisers and backers. Yeah, maybe they have these internal conflicts, etc, but I doubt they play a huge role in what gets produced and delivered for consumption.

Sheeran, like him or not, writes hits. It’s not easy to consistently write hits. Even if you work with other writers, or hire a whole staff of them, producing hit content is a rare thing in the world.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:43 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
So, if a girl puts an unlit cigarette near her lips, looks at you and says "Gotta light?" does that throw up red flags in your mind?

Yes. Especially if you are carrying a flame thrower.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:48 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Most producers and Execs are just looking for content that will turn a profit without getting them in hot water with advertisers and backers. Yeah, maybe they have these internal conflicts, etc, but I doubt they play a huge role in what gets produced and delivered for consumption.

Sheeran, like him or not, writes hits. It’s not easy to consistently write hits. Even if you work with other writers, or hire a whole staff of them, producing hit content is a rare thing in the world.
You think Sheeran still writes his own tunes or has any power over his marketing? Cute.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:32 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

You think Sheeran still writes his own tunes or has any power over his marketing? Cute.

He probably doesn’t have much control over marketing contractually, but he still writes songs. The way it mostly works these days is partnerships between publishers. That’s why you almost never see a song written by a single writer (even if the bulk of the good material was essentially written by one person). It’s almost always two writers, and more often four.

My point was he can write hits consistently, so to assume someone would waste that talent is silly. They will capitalize on it and spread the credit around as much as possible, squeezing every possible dollar out of it, but they’re not going to throw it away.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

ok, if we are putting "writes songs" in inverted commas, then I am with you. He wrote a few inspid tunes, was seen as marketable and lost all control. Serious Mr Patrick, you gonna deny this? Patrick eh, Mr Patrick? You think he wrote the rest of his dreadful tunes?
Old 07-27-2018, 06:07 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

ok, if we are putting "writes songs" in inverted commas, then I am with you. He wrote a few inspid tunes, was seen as marketable and lost all control. Serious Mr Patrick, you gonna deny this? Patrick eh, Mr Patrick? You think he wrote the rest of his dreadful tunes?

He’s written songs for a dozen or more acts, or at least gotten credit for doing so. Yeah, maybe it’s all a ruse, dunno, but I think the simplest explanation is that he writes pop hits. There are not many people on the planet that can do that. I’m not saying it’s an amazing talent or anything, it’s just not something you can (consistently) do by just following a formula—it is more than that.

Whether or not you personally “enjoy” his music is beside the point.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:11 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

And something else... so you’re saying that that little English dough-boy with the red hair and freckles was picked out as “marketable” and boosted to where he is now because some exec (or committee) thought he was exactly what 8-14 year old girls wanted? Come on!

He created marketable content and they worked as hard as the could to keep him from looking like a schlub. That’s a more plausible explanation.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:46 AM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 158

And something else... so you’re saying that that little English dough-boy with the red hair and freckles was picked out as “marketable” and boosted to where he is now because some exec (or committee) thought he was exactly what 8-14 year old girls wanted? Come on!

He created marketable content and they worked as hard as the could to keep him from looking like a schlub. That’s a more plausible explanation.
Of course. If anyone is choosing who's marketable based on looks, it's going to be someone who's more conventionally attractive.

It's almost inexplicable why some people cut through and others don't. He come up in a pretty conventional way, doing what countless others are doing to promote themselves. But he somehow got noticed and started collaborating with people who were already successful and it snowballed from there. I think early support from Taylor Swift, a pretty random thing, kind of sealed it. It wasn't about execs or producers plucking him from obscurity and molding him into some kind of star based on marketable traits.

But at some point, if you're identified as someone who can write hit pop songs, you'll be in demand for some period of time until you stop writing hits or you're just played out -- and then it's on to the next.

Last edited by E. Zamora; 07-28-2018 at 03:51 AM..
Old 07-28-2018, 04:13 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Yeah, I agree, but devil's advocate is always fun.

Take Adele as an example. People twat on about how talent beats looks. I always find this odd, she is a little chubby but she is very attractive (when she does not slather herself in makeup, like a drag queen- gonna get hate for that).

But these are anomalies. Sheeran is an anomaly, he is no - pick someone competent but inconsequential - ariana grande - for example, he is not that.

So, basically, ugly is now discriminatory, I will use that

Last edited by Chinspinner; 07-28-2018 at 04:19 AM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table