WritersBeat.com
 

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.


If you could change the world

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 07-30-2018, 03:18 AM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 687
Thanks: 83
Thanks 158
Default


Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
If I could change the world I'd move it three inches to the left.
Well, according to my calculations, that would immediately plunge us into an ice age and end life as we know it.

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-30-2018, 06:55 AM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 10,478
Thanks: 2,806
Thanks 933
Default

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
Well, according to my calculations, that would immediately plunge us into an ice age and end life as we know it.
and that would be the greatest change ever to have been bestowed I would imagine.
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-30-2018, 07:07 AM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 687
Thanks: 83
Thanks 158
Default

Yes, hitting the big reset button might not be all that bad for humanity.

But would we have learned anything and do things differently?

Probably not.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-30-2018, 08:14 AM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 10,478
Thanks: 2,806
Thanks 933
Default

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
Yes, hitting the big reset button might not be all that bad for humanity.

But would we have learned anything and do things differently?

Probably not.
one must remain optimistic.
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-30-2018, 03:18 PM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 687
Thanks: 83
Thanks 158
Default

Is there a logical reason to be optimistic?

Based on history, I don't think so.

I'm thinking the best way to end it would be if a giant asteroid crashed into earth without warning and wiped us all out, with no opportunity for some brutal, post-apocalyptic world and all the suffering that would go with it.

Just get it over with, already.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E. Zamora For This Useful Post:
Nacia (07-30-2018)
  #36  
Old 07-30-2018, 03:31 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,551
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,231
Default

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
Is there a logical reason to be optimistic?



Based on history, I don't think so.



I'm thinking the best way to end it would be if a giant asteroid crashed into earth without warning and wiped us all out, with no opportunity for some brutal, post-apocalyptic world and all the suffering that would go with it.



Just get it over with, already.


We need to hurry up and make those robots we can download our consciousness into. That would be dope. I want a machine gun on mine, and maybe a 50 cal. Hopefully wed be self repairing and mostly bullet proof so we could run around and shoot each other. Id miss sex, but it would sure solve the internet porn problem.

See... Im optimistic too.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-30-2018, 03:33 PM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 10,478
Thanks: 2,806
Thanks 933
Default

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
Is there a logical reason to be optimistic?

Based on history, I don't think so.

I'm thinking the best way to end it would be if a giant asteroid crashed into earth without warning and wiped us all out, with no opportunity for some brutal, post-apocalyptic world and all the suffering that would go with it.

Just get it over with, already.
what is the hurry?? I am quite taken aback you think we must end.
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-30-2018, 03:35 PM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 10,478
Thanks: 2,806
Thanks 933
Default

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
We need to hurry up and make those robots we can download our consciousness into. That would be dope. I want a machine gun on mine, and maybe a 50 cal. Hopefully we’d be self repairing and mostly bullet proof so we could run around and shoot each other. I’d miss sex, but it would sure solve the internet porn problem.

See... I’m optimistic too.
LOL it all boils down to sex it seems.
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 07-31-2018 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-30-2018, 03:45 PM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 687
Thanks: 83
Thanks 158
Default

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
We need to hurry up and make those robots we can download our consciousness into. That would be dope. I want a machine gun on mine, and maybe a 50 cal. Hopefully wed be self repairing and mostly bullet proof so we could run around and shoot each other. Id miss sex, but it would sure solve the internet porn problem.

See... Im optimistic too.
Why not some kind of virtual sex, with robot penises and vaginas and digital orgasms?

I don't think you're thinking far enough ahead.

Last edited by E. Zamora; 07-30-2018 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E. Zamora For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (07-30-2018)
  #40  
Old 07-30-2018, 04:02 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,551
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,231
Default

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
Why not some kind of virtual sex, with robot penises and vaginas and digital orgasms?



I don't think you're thinking far enough ahead.


Yeah, but with the asteroid coming we dont have time for anything but the most important stuff!

Machine guns...
50 cal...

The digital sex can make its way round after the big explosion. We gotta have our priorities in order.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-30-2018, 04:03 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,551
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,231
Default

You think we could make a robot that could enjoy a 30 pack?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
E. Zamora (07-30-2018)
  #42  
Old 07-30-2018, 04:27 PM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 687
Thanks: 83
Thanks 158
Default

Hah. Maybe you're right. But I think when the shit hits the fan, we'll all be grubbing for roots and berries; not a lot of time or resources to devote to developing robots and weapons.

Then I'm imaging something like the iron age. Just enough recollection of basic technology and agriculture, social structure etc. that would allow for a rebuilding of society.

There would be enough shit left over to provide resources and a reference for rebuilding. I think you'd just have to have a few humans left in some hospital corner of the planet and then it would start all over again, not necessarily from scratch.

Last edited by E. Zamora; 07-30-2018 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-30-2018, 05:04 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,551
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,231
Default

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
Hah. Maybe you're right. But I think when the shit hits the fan, we'll all be grubbing for roots and berries; not a lot of time or resources to devote to developing robots and weapons.



Then I'm imaging something like the iron age. Just enough recollection of basic technology and agriculture, social structure etc. that would allow for a rebuilding of society.



There would be enough shit left over to provide resources and a reference for rebuilding. I think you'd just have to have a few humans left in some hospital corner of the planet and then it would start all over again, not necessarily from scratch.


Thats why we need the robots BEFORE the asteroid hits!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-30-2018, 05:29 PM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 687
Thanks: 83
Thanks 158
Default

Ha ha ha.

I'm thinking I've got maybe 40 or 50 years left. There's a really good chance none of this will go down before I die.

Yeah, I've got kids, but that's their problem.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-30-2018, 05:38 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,551
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,231
Default

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
Ha ha ha.

I'm thinking I've got maybe 40 or 50 years left. There's a really good chance none of this will go down before I die.

Yeah, I've got kids, but that's their problem.


I hope youre planning a good education in robotics for them.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
E. Zamora (07-30-2018)
  #46  
Old 07-30-2018, 06:15 PM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 687
Thanks: 83
Thanks 158
Default

Naw, one wants to be an actress/singer, the other wants to be a psychologist/social worker.

I'm going to have to break it to them that their skills will be utterly useless in the future; just like any good father.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-30-2018, 06:46 PM
Prodigalson's Avatar
Prodigalson (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Humboldt Co., CA
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 269
Thanks 517
Default

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
Hah. Maybe you're right. But I think when the shit hits the fan, we'll all be grubbing for roots and berries; not a lot of time or resources to devote to developing robots and weapons.

Then I'm imaging something like the iron age. Just enough recollection of basic technology and agriculture, social structure etc. that would allow for a rebuilding of society.

There would be enough shit left over to provide resources and a reference for rebuilding. I think you'd just have to have a few humans left in some hospital corner of the planet and then it would start all over again, not necessarily from scratch.
I'll put a pitch in for my corner to be the hospitable one. It is, anyway. Lots of roots and berries. Herds of elk. Without human meddling, the salmon might come back. Supposedly, after a nuclear exchange, we'd have less fallout than just about anywhere. I suppose that would apply to dust/smoke, etc. from a meteor strike, too.

When the rest of the western United States dries up in the heat, we get balmy weather and we always have plenty of water.The only problem would be wading through the crowds of retirees who will be swarming up here from Arizona, New Mexico, and Southern California as the temperatures rise over the next few years.

And, with only four routes in, all through steep, mountainous country, it would be easy to fend off any other survivors and build our own little fiefdom, from which we could rule the world!

We'll think about the robots. Maybe put them on defense.
__________________
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-30-2018, 06:55 PM
Prodigalson's Avatar
Prodigalson (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Humboldt Co., CA
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 269
Thanks 517
Default

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
Naw, one wants to be an actress/singer, the other wants to be a psychologist/social worker.

I'm going to have to break it to them that their skills will be utterly useless in the future; just like any good father.
Naw - in an EOTWAWKI scenario, they'd be in great demand: someone to sing our troubles away, and grief counseling for the kids (isn't that de rigueur anymore?)
__________________
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-31-2018, 04:09 AM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 687
Thanks: 83
Thanks 158
Default

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
Naw - in an EOTWAWKI scenario, they'd be in great demand: someone to sing our troubles away, and grief counseling for the kids (isn't that de rigueur anymore?)
Hah. Yeah. That's what they want to be now. It tends to fluctuate.

I wouldn't even try to steer them in any direction, but you know, secretly, in the back of your mind you're thinking, do something where you can make a whole lot of money!!!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-31-2018, 04:15 AM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 687
Thanks: 83
Thanks 158
Default

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
I'll put a pitch in for my corner to be the hospitable one. It is, anyway. Lots of roots and berries. Herds of elk. Without human meddling, the salmon might come back. Supposedly, after a nuclear exchange, we'd have less fallout than just about anywhere. I suppose that would apply to dust/smoke, etc. from a meteor strike, too.

When the rest of the western United States dries up in the heat, we get balmy weather and we always have plenty of water.The only problem would be wading through the crowds of retirees who will be swarming up here from Arizona, New Mexico, and Southern California as the temperatures rise over the next few years.

And, with only four routes in, all through steep, mountainous country, it would be easy to fend off any other survivors and build our own little fiefdom, from which we could rule the world!

We'll think about the robots. Maybe put them on defense.
I really do wonder if it would be Mad Max or if people would cooperate. I've thought about how people come together in natural disasters, but with those, there's hope and you know that help is on the way, so that survival instinct doesn't really lick in. I guess it would probably be some combination of the two scenarios.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07-31-2018, 07:39 PM
Prodigalson's Avatar
Prodigalson (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Humboldt Co., CA
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 269
Thanks 517
Default

Nah - I think when it's down to the last can of beans, and there's no hope for any help from anywhere, it's going to be every man for himself.

Starvation makes men do weird things.
__________________
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-01-2018, 10:27 PM
flyingtart's Avatar
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 952
Thanks: 145
Thanks 187
Default

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
Well, according to my calculations, that would immediately plunge us into an ice age and end life as we know it.
My left, not yours.
__________________
Awaiting the return of the Dogs Arse Messiah.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-02-2018, 12:05 AM
E. Zamora (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 687
Thanks: 83
Thanks 158
Default

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
My left, not yours.
In that case, we're all going to fry.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-02-2018, 12:13 AM
flyingtart's Avatar
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 952
Thanks: 145
Thanks 187
Default

And what's so wrong with that? Save a fortune on heating bills.
__________________
Awaiting the return of the Dogs Arse Messiah.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Chinspinner's Avatar
Chinspinner (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,317
Thanks: 204
Thanks 230
Default

I am going to give an honest answer here. People would not view their opinions as having greater virtue or moral substance than the next persons. They would consider a point on merit and debate the point on merit. There would be disagreements, but they would be intellectually honest disagreements.

I would also be lord and king of all I survey.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chinspinner For This Useful Post:
Nacia (08-03-2018)
  #56  
Old 08-03-2018, 01:31 PM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 10,478
Thanks: 2,806
Thanks 933
Default

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
I am going to give an honest answer here. People would not view their opinions as having greater virtue or moral substance than the next persons. They would consider a point on merit and debate the point on merit. There would be disagreements, but they would be intellectually honest disagreements.

I would also be lord and king of all I survey.
LOL that goes without saying right???
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nacia For This Useful Post:
Chinspinner (08-03-2018)
  #57  
Old 08-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Chinspinner's Avatar
Chinspinner (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,317
Thanks: 204
Thanks 230
Default

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
LOL that goes without saying right???
I missed a clause, "and all my subjects would bow before me"
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 10,478
Thanks: 2,806
Thanks 933
Default

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
I missed a clause, "and all my subjects would bow before me"
LOL I fear for the Queen now LOL
So would they bow as well as curtsy??
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Chinspinner's Avatar
Chinspinner (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,317
Thanks: 204
Thanks 230
Default

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
LOL I fear for the Queen now LOL
So would they bow as well as curtsy??
I assume you are US. Sorry, got all serious in what follows: The Queen has certain powers (the Royal Prerogative), that acts like your constitution, in that it protects us from tyranny. She can dissolve parliament ensuring a party does not rule beyond 5 years.

Which is why it irritates me when Brits like Piers Morgan start debating the second amendment. If someone came over here and tried to dismantle the Royal prerogative I would be very concerned. I do not have a horse in the race, but Pier's is a poor and hypocritical advocate.

Wow, sorry, I got serious there, randomly.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 10,478
Thanks: 2,806
Thanks 933
Default

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
I assume you are US. Sorry, got all serious in what follows: The Queen has certain powers (the Royal Prerogative), that acts like your constitution, in that it protects us from tyranny. She can dissolve parliament ensuring a party does not rule beyond 5 years.

Which is why it irritates me when Brits like Piers Morgan start debating the second amendment. If someone came over here and tried to dismantle the Royal prerogative I would be very concerned. I do not have a horse in the race, but Pier's is a poor and hypocritical advocate.

Wow, sorry, I got serious there, randomly.
No I am UK but not to worry. I get what you mean by Piers Morgan.
He is not the best character to have involved.
The Queen has some power but not all. It is down to parliament . It works in her favour not to dissolve anything.
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
Reply

  WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backwards World (Chapter 1) (Zombie Book) (Language & Mild Gore) Juganhut Fiction 0 03-05-2014 09:25 AM
The grey world Wind Fiction 1 06-27-2013 06:59 PM
The Christdolou Gambit/Double Standard richards89 Fiction 3 06-07-2011 05:02 PM
Screwed: Chapter 2- A Big Gray World btzneb Fiction 0 01-13-2010 09:19 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:37 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.