WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

When did you first get published, and what was it?

Old 02-23-2006, 06:54 PM
ChapStik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
When did you first get published, and what was it?

Hey!

I'm interested in what published writers have gone through to get to that special point. How long ago? Do you still get published now? If it was only a one time deal, why? Do you think it was hard?

If you have anything to add, please do!

Just want to get some information on this, thanks!

Old 02-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Christianne_015 (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via ICQ to Christianne_015 Send a message via AIM to Christianne_015 Send a message via MSN to Christianne_015 Send a message via Yahoo to Christianne_015

I think you should ask starrwriter, as he's had three(?) books published. That is, if he's willing to tell you.

But I, myself, haven't had any books published. I can't even get myself to finish a short story most of the time. I'm just lazy, among other things.

MSN Messenger:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yahoo! Messenger:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MySpace:
Old 03-01-2006, 02:52 AM
Occasionalpoet (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0

Same here. I'm currently too lazy too to write a book or even finish a great short story.

“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.”-Nikola Tesla
Old 03-01-2006, 04:20 AM
solecistic (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

I got a story published when I was a senior in high school, while I was living in Australia. I wrote a story about a delusional would-be astronaut, and it was published in a large collection of high school students' stories that rated highly in New South Wales.

Not the hugest of accomplishments, but a start, I suppose!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:06 PM
MalReynolds (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

First item I was published in was Underground Voices, a web-zine that is based around addiction. I submitted a story about a quilt that eats people, and three weeks later I got a check in the mail for $30 and a congratulations.

Since then, I've had two pieces selected to go into Antithesis Literary Magazine for their Spring issue out of a possible five (they sought me out using my FictionPress account.)

Double edged sword; I just got my very first rejection letter from Asimov's, but due to time constraints, they couldn't provide an editorial critique, just a statistic that says it was most likely rejected due to unoriginiality.

I'm waiting to hear back from The Intergalactic Medicine Show, but I don't think that will pan out either, considering they ask for subject to be in the PG-13 range, and what I submitted was definitley somewhere in the range of an "R" but I don't know what their return policy is, or if I'll even hear back.

But I'm editing and submitting the rejected Asimov's piece to TIMS and seeing if that will do the trick.

Mal
Old 03-08-2006, 05:49 PM
DFischer (Offline)
Got Fisch?
Official Member

Thanks 170
Send a message via AIM to DFischer

Originally Posted by MalReynolds
First item I was published in was Underground Voices, a web-zine that is based around addiction. I submitted a story about a quilt that eats people, and three weeks later I got a check in the mail for $30 and a congratulations.

Since then, I've had two pieces selected to go into Antithesis Literary Magazine for their Spring issue out of a possible five (they sought me out using my FictionPress account.)

Double edged sword; I just got my very first rejection letter from Asimov's, but due to time constraints, they couldn't provide an editorial critique, just a statistic that says it was most likely rejected due to unoriginiality.

I'm waiting to hear back from The Intergalactic Medicine Show, but I don't think that will pan out either, considering they ask for subject to be in the PG-13 range, and what I submitted was definitley somewhere in the range of an "R" but I don't know what their return policy is, or if I'll even hear back.

But I'm editing and submitting the rejected Asimov's piece to TIMS and seeing if that will do the trick.

Mal
Is it an enjoying experience or, rather stressful being in the publishing area of writing?

Personal site:

Please critique other's work before asking to get critique on your own.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:42 PM
MalReynolds (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

It's quasi-stressful since the magazines that have picked me are pretty much underground; I would have much more faith in my submissions had I been published by something a little more mainstream recentley. But, it is nice to have a readable resume that includes a literary mag and some online 'zines, even if they aren't the norm.

My Resume (Not in Resume format)

April 2005-
BeoWulf The Musical! (Not A Musical)
Midlothian High-School Players
April 2-3
Highest accolade of the competition (Gold Certificate)

November 2005
BeoWulf The Musical! (Not a Musical)
Williamsburg Community Players
November 21-28
Three sold-out shows

January 2006
The Quilt
UnderGroundVoices.com
$30 payment

March 15
Eight Minutes/Reading Between The Lines
Antithesis Literary Journal
No payment

-

Interesting facts:

Was UndergroundVoices featured author for the month of January.
Antithesis sought me out.

I mean, most of that stuff is just padding, but it doesn't hurt to have stuff run in minor magazines to get your foot in the door.

Hope that answered any/all questions =D

Mal
Old 03-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

First published 15 years ago, short fiction, and no, it wasn't difficult. Fairly regularly since then (averaged almost one a month in 2004), all shorts (I don't 'do' novels). If the story's good enough, it's always easy. If it's not, it's a lot harder.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Kempas (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 2
Send a message via MSN to Kempas

WEll, I've only really been published in University mags, and one poetry anthology which isn't available in all good bookshops. I'm currently writing my first book, which I'm quite positive about. Perhaps I'll start looking at magazine submissions. Always useful for confidence
Old 03-22-2006, 07:18 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Christianne_015
I think you should ask starrwriter, as he's had three(?) books published. That is, if he's willing to tell you.
I'm willing, but I seriously doubt if he (she?) will like what I have to say.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Huntress (Offline)
I hunt :)
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by starrwriter
I'm willing, but I seriously doubt if he (she?) will like what I have to say.
Anything helps no? =]
Old 03-24-2006, 06:32 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Huntress
Anything helps, no?
The best advice I can give to a writer about getting a book published is to read Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. What she describes fits my own experience very closely.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by DFischer
Is it an enjoying experience or, rather stressful being in the publishing area of writing?
It's only stressful if you let it be. The inclination as a newbie is to write a story, submit it, then wait. And wait. And wait. It can take months to get that rejection or acceptance, and all that time mr Newb is pacing and nailbiting and getting stressed. That's the BAD way to do it.

The GOOD way is to recognise that that story isn't all you have in you. You submit your story, then write and submit another, and another, and another, and when the first one gets rejected you turn it around and send it to the next mag on the list.

Due to personal circumstances and 2 day jobs I don't write much right now, but using that process in 2004 I managed to get 11 pieces published plus an interview with Michael Moorcock.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:20 AM
alia43 (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to alia43 Send a message via MSN to alia43

Originally Posted by Mike C
It's only stressful if you let it be. The inclination as a newbie is to write a story, submit it, then wait. And wait. And wait. It can take months to get that rejection or acceptance, and all that time mr Newb is pacing and nailbiting and getting stressed. That's the BAD way to do it.

The GOOD way is to recognise that that story isn't all you have in you. You submit your story, then write and submit another, and another, and another, and when the first one gets rejected you turn it around and send it to the next mag on the list.

Due to personal circumstances and 2 day jobs I don't write much right now, but using that process in 2004 I managed to get 11 pieces published plus an interview with Michael Moorcock.
did you have an agent?
Old 06-25-2006, 08:22 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by alia43
did you have an agent?
Mike C hasn't been around for quite some time, so I will answer your question.

So far I have 3 published fiction books, 28 short stories published in magazines or book anthologies and a few published journalism articles (including one that won a first-place award from the Society of Professional Journalists.) I managed all that without an agent (and saved 15-20% in fees.)

Over the years before I got anything published, I wrote to every literary agent I could find an address for in North America and several in Europe. I received something like 5 replies to those hundreds of inquiries -- all form letters saying "we have all the clients we can handle" (whatever that means.)

Don't waste your time trying to find a literary agent before you try to get published. Submit your book directly to small independent publishers and your short stories to magazine editors. The big New York book publishers won't read your work unless it is submitted by an agent, so forget them.

Last edited by starrwriter; 06-25-2006 at 08:26 AM..
Old 06-25-2006, 09:06 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

January just gone, nothing major just a piece of flash. since then 3 poems..

I haven't written a book yet.. I'm too impatient.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:00 AM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to kellykat60409 Send a message via MSN to kellykat60409 Send a message via Yahoo to kellykat60409

the only thing i have had published is some poems in a poetry contest (i recently found out this contest is a scam), so after hearing that i can say i have nothing published as of yet. However, i am working on it.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:07 PM
alia43 (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0

Mike C hasn't been around for quite some time, so I will answer your question.

So far I have 3 published fiction books, 28 short stories published in magazines or book anthologies and a few published journalism articles (including one that won a first-place award from the Society of Professional Journalists.) I managed all that without an agent (and saved 15-20% in fees.)

Over the years before I got anything published, I wrote to every literary agent I could find an address for in North America and several in Europe. I received something like 5 replies to those hundreds of inquiries -- all form letters saying "we have all the clients we can handle" (whatever that means.)

Don't waste your time trying to find a literary agent before you try to get published. Submit your book directly to small independent publishers and your short stories to magazine editors. The big New York book publishers won't read your work unless it is submitted by an agent, so forget them.
should I send them the whole entire book or just a chapter or section of it
Old 06-25-2006, 08:37 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

should I send them the whole entire book or just a chapter or section of it
First, send a query letter explaining your book briefly and ask the publisher if he wants the whole manuscript or one chapter. Different publishers have different guidelines.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:39 AM
alia43 (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0

First, send a query letter explaining your book briefly and ask the publisher if he wants the whole manuscript or one chapter. Different publishers have different guidelines.
I looked at some publishing websites and found some that I liked. I am going to send them something soon.
You are right they all have different guidelines, they tell you exactly what they want you to send and how they want it.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Leon of Prussia (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Last edited by Leon of Prussia; 03-01-2014 at 09:34 PM..
Old 07-24-2006, 01:46 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Leon of Prussia
I'm a high school student who is thinking of writing professionally. I've already started a novel, and will be posting the first few chapters shortly. In an earlier post, you urged a member to send their work to a small independent publisher. While I know that you've had three works of fiction published, how much success can a novelist expect by following this path? That is to say, even if you write an extremely good novel, will sales be strong if an independent publisher markets your novel?
Probably not. Like any commodity, books are sold by means of advertising and the right business connections and a small independent publisher will not have the advertising budget or influence with bookstores/distributors/respected reviewers that large publishers wield.

The main reason for turning to small publishers is to get into print if you have no luck in attracting large publishers or literary agents to read your work. Since you are still in high school, you have a long way to go as a writer. Keep writing and be patient about publication and sales. The chances that you'll ever making a lucrative living writing fiction are slim. Only a few hundred Americans do so out of the tens of thousands who try.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:58 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

the percentage of writers of fiction and poets who can live of the amount of money they earned was 7% last time I heard it..

Don't expect it, just try to get your word out there... you gotta start at the bottom of the tower to reach the top. whihc often involves writing shorter works to get published by smaller places rather than a novel.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:09 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

did you have an agent?
I'm back.

To sell short fiction you don't need an agent. (a) 15% of what a short will earn you isn't worth the agent's time, and (b) fiction magazines welcome submissions from anyone. So the answer is no.

For novels, the answer is different. I won't argue the pros and cons with Mr Starr, we already know our opinions differ, and he chose the option he felt was right for him and self-published.

The caveat, though, is that none of the big publishing houses will look at a manuscript unless it has come via an agent, so if you want any degree of real success, an agent is the way to go. Agents are constantly on the lookout for the next big thing, so they are generally most interested in new talent - that's you.

Again, there's a caveat - unless you follow guidelines, write a killer query letter, and target the right agents, your efforts will be wasted.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:06 PM
gwthomas21 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0

My first sale, the one that really said "Yes, you are a writer!" was "City in the Sea" a role-playing game adventure in CTHULHU NOW! for Chaosium's CALL OF CTHULHU game. This was 1987. I had to wait almost 2 years to get paid. can't remember what I spent the $ on. I did take my wife out for a steak dinner and promised her plenty more checks. (You'll have to ask her if I kept that promise.) Role-playing games used to be a great way to break in. I'm not sure if they are any more.

GW

His bookstore is:
Old 08-21-2006, 06:22 AM
WeAreWriters (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Well my first official publication was in some magazine- I sent in some short story of mine.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Dephere

I still have yet to see the day....It would help if I submitted to places...lol.

I had an anthology in the works, but since my computer broke I haven't been in contact with the pub, or been writing. So hopefully it has just been delayed.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:47 AM
Lynx (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

That's exactly like me; can't bring myself to actually submit anything. I really think I need to set myself some targets.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing