WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Formatting and Extra Line Spaces

Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694
Default Formatting and Extra Line Spaces

All right. I give.

I'm formatting a project for Amazon Kindle upload in the future. Every time I convert the file to .mobi (Kindle format; yes, I know it .azw or whatever, but it's the same as .mobi) I get a stupid extra line space between each paragraph.

How can I get rid of it? Or does it matter? I have to convert the entire file to HTML eventually for uploading to Amazon, so might already remove the extra lines spaces in the conversion on their end.

I work in OpenOffice. No, I do not have MS Word, though I can save files as .DOCs.

Anyone have any suggestions? I can go through Calibre and convert, manually telling it to remove the spaces, but one can't upload a .mobi file to Amazon Kindle.

Ugh.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89
Icon6

In OpenOffice, go to Format, then Paragraph and ensure you have o" above and below each paragraph.

The code is embeded and you won't know it's there. I don't even think that showing unprinted characters in the View section will let you see them.

The history of the California missions

Life in the military and general ramblings
Old 06-04-2013, 02:04 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

In OpenOffice, go to Format, then Paragraph and ensure you have o" above and below each paragraph.
Checked that already, and they're both set at 0. I actually manually set the above and below where I want it, otherwise they're both default set at 0. Plus I work in the nuclear method: Wiping completely clean through notepad and manually formatting everything back in so nothing slips through.

Hmm . . .

Twisty mind candy:

Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Awesome. Just figured it out. Longknife, you were very close. The "above" and "below" need to be set at .01" to be imperceptible yet bring the paras together as needed.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Awesome. Just figured it out. Longknife, you were very close. The "above" and "below" need to be set at .01" to be imperceptible yet bring the paras together as needed.
Glad to be of help. I like both Libre and Open as they have the record change and other editing features my home version of MSWord doesn't have.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 PM
wickedsunny (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Devon you are the admin and I am new here, so not sure if I should be telling you these things

Just kidding.

Do not go for open office or word formatting. It will cause troubles for you later if you are going for print or html.

I would suggest

get notepad++ or sublime text to write things.

type your whole book there and convert it to html.

margins and all can be added using css.

You are not making an interactive book, basically paras and title heads and images, html learning curve is very less. I learned it in 3 days, that also how to make complete websites.

In the long run that will help much better than screwing around with word processing software like word or open office.

They have the export options but they are not mean't really for printing or htmls.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:51 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

get notepad++ or sublime text to write things.
Done that. Copy/pasted all of it into Notepad/Wordpad or whatever it is. Apparently doing this is called the "nuclear method"(?) It wipes out all of the odd hidden formatting that OpenOffice and Word stick into the file.

convert it to html.
Is that really necessary? (I'm asking this seriously, as I plan to publish this particular book through KDP.) I have no trouble with doing that.

I'd figured it out anyway, these extra spaces. Been uploading the converted .mobi file onto my Kindle to preview it, and so far, so good. Probably will be different through KDP, unfortunately, but will adjust as needed.

I want to keep everything as easy and as smooth as possible. (There'll be snags, I know. BOY, do I know. Lol!) Thanks, though.

Oh *ahem* I mean: How dare you tell me stuff! I'm an admin! I know anything and everything, and everything else besides! Lol!

Twisty mind candy:

Old 06-15-2013, 03:11 PM
wickedsunny (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Done that. Copy/pasted all of it into Notepad/Wordpad or whatever it is. Apparently doing this is called the "nuclear method"(?) It wipes out all of the odd hidden formatting that OpenOffice and Word stick into the file.

Is that really necessary? (I'm asking this seriously, as I plan to publish this particular book through KDP.) I have no trouble with doing that.

I'd figured it out anyway, these extra spaces. Been uploading the converted .mobi file onto my Kindle to preview it, and so far, so good. Probably will be different through KDP, unfortunately, but will adjust as needed.

I want to keep everything as easy and as smooth as possible. (There'll be snags, I know. BOY, do I know. Lol!) Thanks, though.

Oh *ahem* I mean: How dare you tell me stuff! I'm an admin! I know anything and everything, and everything else besides! Lol!
Lol

Maybe not for this project. It will remove the complete formatting, so you can apply your own styles.

For future projects, start writing using these text editors distraction free modes and then use them to compile the book as well. It is much faster in the long run.

Once you write in html, doesn't matter which site you are uploading to, it will be exactly the same. "Snag free" files.

and even if you want to change some thing, you can just change one style and it will change it inside the whole document. Just like InDesign styles, but without the shift of pages.

That will save lot of time and frustration and you can devote that time in marketing the book.

It is great if it is working now

Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

Maybe I'm out in left field but when I self-published on Kindle, I converted my file using mobipocket.com Check it out.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

There's an online conversion place: http://www.2epub.com/

Handy to use when checking the formatting. Sucky, if you need to add in the cover pic to an e-file.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Whisper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 87

OpenOffice tends to be tricky. Check out Sigil. It's a free program for creating EPUB eBooks. It has been recommended to me, as starting with EPUB when converting to other formats seems to be the most stable way of doing it. You start with a HTML file that you import into Sigil. It will all be in one tab. If you want to have chapters in different tabs, you can do that, I think it's Split section at cursor or something like that. That will give you chapter breaks. You can also add a cover page here, but that for me has not been very successful. I do a version without a cover first, then go through Calibre to convert and that's when I add it. =) Good luck.

|
|

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing