WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

What getting published means to me

Old 01-13-2011, 08:16 PM
AnthonyJones (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default What getting published means to me

Ever since I have started writing(about sixteen years old), I have dreamed of being published. I wrote on the first and second book of my trilogy and thought about what it could be. Now two years later, I am nineteen and I today my book is officially available for people to buy. I must say it is wonderful!

I dream of success and I absolutely fear failure. My dream of success is to first get published and for my book to do well(Not Harry potter well. that's almost impossible) I dream about what it would be like to have people all around like your book. I can't wait to see what it feels like because I have faith it will do well. I have faith that my friends will like it. Getting published means so much to me and I am constantly thinking about it. It is hard to believe sometimes, especially when i'm the website looking at it with a price on it and my name, I can only pray that more will come.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:24 PM
midwestamp (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 168

Congratulations! Where can we see your book?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:30 PM
AnthonyJones (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

You can visit my website anthonysbluedestiny.weebly.com There is a link on there.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 PM
midwestamp (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 168

Just a couple of thoughts...

Include a complete and usable link, maybe in your signature. You want to make it as easy as possible for people to find your book.

The link to Publish America that you have on your site doesn't work. At least, it didn't for me.

The book looks interesting. See if you can make it easier for people to find it. And again, congratulations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:54 PM
AnthonyJones (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

I will work on that, and thank you.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:59 PM
AnthonyJones (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

thanks again. I fixed the link where it now works, and it takes you straight to it, making it easy.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147
Send a message via AIM to Writing.Geek.

Congratulations! That's fantastic.

if you want to reveal your stories from the shadow of your computer....
Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

PublishAmerica.

Ouch.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:31 AM
AnthonyJones (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

I noticed that publishamerica didn't have a very good rating after I signed the contract, but they have done great so far. I have faith that everything will go just fine.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Rabulder (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 19

I have to echo Mike on this one.

Ouch.

I hope for your sake that youŽll be the exception to the rule.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:34 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by AnthonyJones View Post
I noticed that publishamerica didn't have a very good rating after I signed the contract, but they have done great so far. I have faith that everything will go just fine.
How many copies have you sold?

PA are an author mill who's business model suggests they'd rather have a million authors selling a dozen copies each than a dozen million-sellers. They have nasty, restictive contracts, they do nothing to promote their authors and they profit hugely from those either too desperate or too badly informed to look elsewhere. The time to do your research is before you sign a contract.

Last edited by Mike C; 01-18-2011 at 04:46 AM..
Old 01-18-2011, 07:12 AM
CandraH

Isn't Publish America a self publishing platform? I've heard some horror stories about them advertising themselves as standard publishers and that thats how people get sucked in and end up disappointed. Because they sign up thinking they're getting the full deal.

But if people treat them the same as Createspace or Lulu, maybe there wouldnt be so many unhappy authors out there.

Seconded about doing your homework first. And if the company advertised honestly, everyone would be happy.

What the fuck's with my sentences today? I cant think my way through one logically right now to save my life.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:21 AM
AnthonyJones (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Well it is as it is. I thought I understood the contract. I'll just have to act as if I did self publishing and promote my book myself. I've been doing quite a bit now.

My book has only been out for a week and a half. I do not know how many copies i've sold. I do know that I have about thirty friends from school who are interested in reading it. I'm sure they will like it and spread the word. I feel that even though i've not chosen the best publisher, everything will go just fine, as long as I do some promoting. I just need to find some new ways to promote.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Dudester (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 22

In college I wrote for the college paper and ten tears ago, for three years I wrote, part time, for a large city newspaper. I thought the ultimate recognition would be getting a book out there. I finally got a book offer and I met the publishing agent for lunch. As I sat down and looked across from her, just after the hello's were exchanged, I realized that just having somebody interested was recognition enough. I listened to her offer, but really wasn't interested. I even lost interest in the characters I was writing about.

It was just about that time that I was feature writer for a now defunct website. I had a marvelous three years there and I met some wonderful people. One of them help me set up a site at ASSTR. Today, six years later, I have a small, but dedicated fan club. It's all the recognition that I intrinsically need, although....

In late 2008, I very nearly sold two movie scripts. I now hunger to get several of my stories made into a movie. I'm probably going to have to win the megabucks to make it happen as I want complete creative and casting control.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 AM
AnthonyJones (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Thats really cool. I would love to have my story made into a movie. I hope that one day it will happen. Why did you just forget about your characters and your story?

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe