WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry

Poetry Sit down or take a stand in this poetry section.

The Dinner Game

Old 08-20-2006, 05:42 PM
gary_wagner

Default The Dinner Game

That game, that infuriating game,
I think it’s something women enjoy,
yes, the ovaries feed and nourish,
as testes vanquish and destroy.

Mothers teach it to their daughters,
and fathers will warn their son,
it began with Eve and apples,
it will last till time is done.

“Where do you want to go to eat?”
“I don’t care – it’s up to you”
“Then how about Italian tonight”
“No, but anywhere else will do”

“So where do you want to go, my love?”
“It really doesn’t matter at all”
“Let’s have some Chinese buffet, then”
“There? No, nothing at the mall.”

“What do you have in mind, my sweet?”
“Oh, anything you choose will do”
“They opened up that new rib joint”
“Oh, I can’t do barbecue”

“Quit telling me where you don’t want to go”
“Now, don’t get snippy with me tonight”
“All right, we’ll go to the pancake house”
“I’ll just stay home if you’re going to fight”

“Just pick a place and we’ll go there”
“No, whatever you want is fine”
“I don’t care so please just tell me”
“Well… since you can’t make up your mind”

I know they laugh when the game is done,
they keep it quietly hidden away,
but as men’s frustration screams in silence,
women know they won the game that day

Old 08-20-2006, 05:46 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

haha, how delightful. a pleasure to read gary.

was the beat off on the last line or was it just me? I read it a few times and I kept faltering.

that was marvellous, so light and fun. Great work.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:55 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to riverstone

How sexist! Men do this too you know - it's just a matter of point of view - I would only publish it if you took the insults out of the first stanza!
Kit
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Riverstones let the water flow around them.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:04 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

i have to admit, the first read of this, I thought that the first speaker was female.. maybe that's just my xperience though..
Old 08-20-2006, 07:36 PM
gary_wagner

Oops. My bad.

I could make this gender unspecific but I have only experienced this with my wife and my son said he has experienced the same thing with some of his girlfriends, so once again, I didn't realize that this was a unisex situation.

If I write something that is really annoying about men will that take me out of the doghouse?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:38 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

you're not in my dog house. I found it really funny.. I know it happens both ways having been both the "male" and "female" speakers in your poem. Just so you know a lot of the time we're not playing games we're just being lazy and you're wittling down the places we have available.. just unlucky for you, you never remember when we say don't know and you say the perfect lace right away.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:40 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0

When I feel like it's gender - which it often is - I try hard to write it from a personal perspective instead of general - then I can't be quibbled with! You are never in the dog house - cause I know how that is - and the older i get the more the generalizations can ring true - I really dislike that though - but I find myself making them - and hoping that it is just living in Virginia - or some other backwater for women's andmen's liberation. Anyway - don't worry about it - I was just thinking about how hard it would be to get it publisshed if you wanted to - so if you do, take out those generalizations or make it a wondering tone - could it be that only women do this or all women? the more you personalize it the easier it is for us feminist/humanist types to relate
Kit
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:48 AM
gary_wagner

It was 1982, downtown Dallas, going back into my office in the Texas Oil and Gas building at lunch time. I opened the door and stepped to the side to let an anonymous woman pass through while I held the door open for her. She hit me with her purse. "I can open the door myself, you chauvinist pig!".

Almost twenty-five years later I still duck every time I hear the words sexist or chauvinist. I still hold doors open for women. I've never been purse-punched again.

As far as getting published, I have never looked at these things I write (with the exception of the novel) with an eye toward sending it to a publisher. Poetry is in its infancy with me and I'm still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Maybe I should try getting something published even if to just get an idea of what is being put into the mainstream.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:53 AM
JackStraw (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 10
Send a message via AIM to JackStraw

hi gary, amusing read. I enjoyed it. the rhyming seemed a little forced in some spots. I would cut down on a couple stanzas of the dialogue(sp?)
also the last stanza didn't work for me (the rhyme didn't) the lines were funny though. It brought a smile and almost a chuckle to my face, which can be hard to do.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:18 AM
gary_wagner

Thanks, Jack. I did some fine tuning on the line lengths but this is one of those "throw away" things that is a little bit of fun but not something I want to spend hours going over to fine tune. I actually added the "snippy" stanza when I went over this the other day and probably shouldn't have. All those alternating conversation lines and quotation marks really gets to a person quickly.

I will work on that last stanza, though. It does take some forced words in order to make the rhythm work.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:21 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0

Men get upset with me when I hold the door open for them, or call them sir. I was raised to pitch in and do what you can, and to be polite. Respect is shown by courtesy.

Some men I have met won't even use my nickname, Kit. They must change it to one of the more feminine forms of Katherine nicknames.

I am not surprised that you have experienced all these life lessons - it shows in your excellent work and in your sense of humor. You have weathered it well!
Kit

Old 08-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Chaos&Lipstick (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 7

I liked it.It was very good.The rhyming seemed a little forced, but it was otherwise hilarious.
Great work Gary!!4 gold stars!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 AM
gary_wagner

Thanks, Chaos&Lipstick. What a blast from the past. I wrote this when I just got back into poetry after a long, long time.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry