WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Stuck Like Glue To... Well, Nothing

Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38
Send a message via AIM to Castiel Send a message via MSN to Castiel Send a message via Yahoo to Castiel Send a message via Skype™ to Castiel
Default Stuck Like Glue To... Well, Nothing

I know everyone's seen this thread a million times... Me asking for advice 'cause I'm not sure what to do and/or complaining about life, but you guys aren't in my 'real' life and aren't so biased you make me want to shoot you, so here goes...

First of all, I'm in G.E.D. classes. As some of you know, I was homeschooled and all that, but I'm getting my education one way or another, and getting a G.E.D. is cheaper. So with my 6th grade level of school, I am one of the brightest in the class and will be taking (and hopefully passing as long as I can get 410 on math) the test in January. But that's not why I'm stuck.

See, I have these big plans of being a detective and I plan on getting my degree in Criminal Justice. But the thing right now is I'm stuck in a babysitting job where I'm getting totally ripped off and I can't get another job because of my class hours and everyone here seems to just need evening workers. And since it's one car and four people that use it, I can't get a job outside of town.

Since there's not many things I can do in the medical field until I'm 18, I'm thinking about getting my CNA (certified nurses aide), which is something I can get now, even without a G.E.D., and after talking with my boyfriend-type person, he explained to me something I didn't know about nursing homes. Apparently if you work a year at one and tell them you want to get your CMA, they'll pay for it, and after a year of that, they'll pay for you to get your RN, then you can go into therapy if you want. I talked to one of my administration friends and he told me this was true, just as long as you worked for the nursing home. So basically by the time I'm 25 or 26 I'll have some umph behind my name.

I like this idea, but I'm not sure if I'd want to put CJ on hold for that long, however, I need a quick job and fast money, which is what the latter can provide easily for me, considering how involved I am in the nursing home/hospital field I am. And then when I think about it, if I'm an RN, I'd be making more money than I would being a detective.

*sigh*

I am so utterly confused. I have one person telling me to do what my heart says, another pushing me towards the latter choice, and a heart and brain that have question marks imprinted on them. Plus, dealing with the college is going to be difficult because if I choose the latter, I need to get everything in order now, so I can do the CNA program in January.

Grrr, I hate making decisions and I hate not knowing what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

--Cas

P.S. Thanks to all who take the time to read this

Old 12-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Glass_Pinata (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 71

First of all, I'm in G.E.D. classes. As some of you know, I was homeschooled and all that, but I'm getting my education one way or another, and getting a G.E.D. is cheaper. So with my 6th grade level of school, I am one of the brightest in the class and will be taking (and hopefully passing as long as I can get 410 on math) the test in January. But that's not why I'm stuck.
I would just go ahead and take the GED, and forget about the classes.
I dropped out of school after the 8th grade and took my GED on my 16th birthday.
I passed it. It wasn't very hard.
My son took his GED at 16, while in a juvenile correctional facility. He scored extremely high on it. Passed it with flying colors.
Neither of us ever took any "GED classes".

I once saw a book in the used bookstore, a book to help you "study" for the GED.
It had a lot of difficult and complicated things in it, but I tell you honestly: none of that was on the actual test.
Only easy things were on the test.

Maybe you should just go take it and see what's on it.
If you fail, you can always study some more, and then take it again in a few months.
But really: GED classes seem like a waste of time.
I bet they're teaching you a bunch of stuff that's not even on the test.

As soon as you get your GED, enroll in community college, even if you only take one or two classes.
On job applications, it looks much better if you can write that your highest level of education is "some college", rather than "GED".
In fact, if you have some college (any amount of college, even one class), most employers don't really care whether you have a GED or a HS diploma.
Either way, you still ended up in the same place: college. That's all they'll care about.

Since there's not many things I can do in the medical field until I'm 18, I'm thinking about getting my CNA (certified nurses aide), which is something I can get now, even without a G.E.D., and after talking with my boyfriend-type person, he explained to me something I didn't know about nursing homes. Apparently if you work a year at one and tell them you want to get your CMA, they'll pay for it, and after a year of that, they'll pay for you to get your RN, then you can go into therapy if you want. I talked to one of my administration friends and he told me this was true, just as long as you worked for the nursing home. So basically by the time I'm 25 or 26 I'll have some umph behind my name.
A lot of jobs are like that. They'll pay for your training/ certification/ whatever.
You can't work in childcare (in a commercial childcare center) until you're 18, but once you turn 18 you could, and you can join a program called Teacher TRAC, which pays for you to go to college and get your CDA credential.
It's a 3-semester program in early childhood development. The classes are held in the evening, and you have to be working in childcare to qualify for the program. They pay for your tuition, books, everything. They even give you bonus checks each semester if you get good grades- I think it's $75 if you get an A, $50 for a B.

I assume there are also many other fields where employers have programs to help their employees increase their usefulness to the company by continuing their education/getting more specialized training/getting a credential or degree.
And there are always government grants and programs as well.

Unfortunately, there's very little you can do until you're 18.
Our society is not set up to allow minors to be independent; it gets worse with each passing decade.
Minors are penalized for attempting to digress from the standard, socially-sanctioned path and attain early independence.

I believe (at least in my state; each state has its own laws) that you can get a license in cosmetology before you turn 18; some girls go to Beauty School while they're still in high school.
But I doubt any salon would hire someone who wasn't 18 yet, even if they had their license.

Finally, you can join the military at 17, with parental consent (that was what my son chose to do).

Sad to say, your options are very limited as long as you're still a minor.

Last edited by Glass_Pinata; 12-04-2010 at 10:50 PM..
Old 12-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38
Send a message via AIM to Castiel Send a message via MSN to Castiel Send a message via Yahoo to Castiel Send a message via Skype™ to Castiel

I would love to just go and take the test right now, but the only have it once a month. There's only one place in town that does it and it's through the college, so I guess I'm sorta stuck with that, too. Honestly, when it comes down to it, I only need the math class since everything else I'm good at, just not math. And those damn books that are supposed to help you, just get me even more confused. And at nursing homes, unless you're applying for a nurses position, they really don't care about you having any college. That's why it's fast money. But thanks for the tips
Old 12-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Glass_Pinata (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 71

Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
I would love to just go and take the test right now, but the only have it once a month. There's only one place in town that does it and it's through the college, so I guess I'm sorta stuck with that, too. Honestly, when it comes down to it, I only need the math class since everything else I'm good at, just not math. And those damn books that are supposed to help you, just get me even more confused. And at nursing homes, unless you're applying for a nurses position, they really don't care about you having any college. That's why it's fast money. But thanks for the tips

Yeah, you can be a nurse's aide without any college.
That's a really crappy job, though, and the pay is awful.
I worked as an aide in a facility for severely disabled adults once (they weren't elderly, but most of them were catatonic; it was basically a nursing home, but for young people). I only made eight bucks per hour, and I eventually had to quit because they were wanting me to lift patients alone and I wasn't strong enough to do it (when I was hired, I was assured that I would only have to assist with two-person lifts, not lift patients all by myself).

You'd make about the same money working as an industrial cook, and you wouldn't have to change adult diapers- always a huge plus in my book.
I worked as a cook in a hospital cafeteria for awhile; it was a nice gig. Paid well, good benefits.

See if the nursing home has kitchen positions open; if not, try the hospital, and the local school district.

Note: you will not make the same sort of money cooking in a commercial establishment, such as a restaurant.
If you're going to cook, seek work in an industrial kitchen; you'll make much better money, and have better benefits.
If you're going to work in a restaurant: waitress, don't cook.

Last edited by Glass_Pinata; 12-04-2010 at 11:09 PM..
Old 12-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Originally Posted by Glass_Pinata View Post
Yeah, you can be a nurse's aide without any college.
That's a really crappy job, though, and the pay is awful.
I worked as an aide in a facility for severely disabled adults once (they weren't elderly, but most of them were catatonic; it was basically a nursing home, but for young people). I only made eight bucks per hour, and I eventually had to quit because they were wanting me to lift patients alone and I wasn't strong enough to do it (when I was hired, I was assured that I would only have to assist with two-person lifts, not lift patients all by myself).

You'd make about the same money working as an industrial cook, and you wouldn't have to change adult diapers- always a huge plus in my book.
I worked as a cook in a hospital cafeteria for awhile; it was a nice gig. Paid well, good benefits.

See if the nursing home has kitchen positions open; if not, try the hospital, and the local school district.

Note: you will not make the same sort of money cooking in a commercial establishment, such as a restaurant.
If you're going to cook, seek work in an industrial kitchen; you'll make much better money, and have better benefits.
If you're going to work in a restaurant: waitress, don't cook.
My potential nursing home gig would be a place with maybe 8 patients that need to be lifted, the rest are total self-doer's or whatever that word is lol.

Heh, I got excited when I saw a 'cook needed' ad in the paper, disappointed when it was three towns away. Right now, I'm just sort of up for anything that will pay me and doesn't involve kids. But thanks for the tips about kitchen positions, that's a great help.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

Get your CNA and your GED. The field of medicine is always hiring and the advancement potential is limitless. They make good money and can work anywhere they like.

You can always go into police work at a later time if your heart is set on it.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Thanks, Gainsy. I'm starting to lean more to that decision.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Glass_Pinata (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 71

Or maybe you could think about becoming an EMT- ride in ambulances, go on emergency calls.
That would combine the excitement of police work with the medical experience you'd already have, if you decide to go into the medical field.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Heather4248 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

As a former CNA I can tell you from personal experience, the health field ALWAYS needs workers so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a job as long as you're certified. Back when I did it, they wanted someone with experience and I had a lot of trouble getting my first job but nowadays, I think it's much much easier to get a job as a CNA. Almost everyone's looking for one. And they do pay great. My highest paying CNA position payed me $12/hr through the week and $13/hour on the weekends. It's not the easiest job though. It requires a LOT of patience. Being a CNA for two or three years will definitely set you up to afford a CJ degree, and you don't necessarily have to advance beyond CNA. If what you really want to do is Criminal Justice, use a CNA position to help you along the way.

What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure.- Samuel Johnson
Old 12-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

@ Pinata: I considered that, but it's really not something I'm interested in.

@ Heather: Wow, $12 per hour? That must have been some nursing home. I have pretty good experience as to what I'd be getting myself into since I've done a lot of volunteering, and I really do love working with elderly people, but see now the medical field is starting to make more sense to me than Criminal Justice. The cops I know don't make nearly as much as nurse's do and work twice as hard sometimes.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Picillo (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 4

Not to mention that the CJ field can also be dangerous at times. I have had family in all sorts of positions in law enforcement and have even known detectives personally and you either really have to love the job or just be crazy enough not to care. When I was looking for work, I had a hard time looking for a job, but I was able to find a position in the equine industry because I have worked with horses for almost 10 years.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Heh, I really like CJ for the thrill, so crazy I guess.

You work with horses? That's really cool.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Picillo (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 4

Yes, it is pretty cool. Lot's of thrills and rewards. Maybe if you get your CN, you could persue a job at a thereputic riding camp?
Old 12-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

As much as I'd love to work with animals, get I way to attached. I cry harder and longer over a hurting or dying animal than a person. Yes, I know that sounds weird.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Picillo (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 4

Your not working with dying animals in a thereputic riding camp. You work with challenged and under privelaged childeren and adults.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Heather4248 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

@ Pinata: I considered that, but it's really not something I'm interested in.

@ Heather: Wow, $12 per hour? That must have been some nursing home. I have pretty good experience as to what I'd be getting myself into since I've done a lot of volunteering, and I really do love working with elderly people, but see now the medical field is starting to make more sense to me than Criminal Justice. The cops I know don't make nearly as much as nurse's do and work twice as hard sometimes.
Well, I suppose it could have been b/c I worked on the alzheimer's unit and they required much more care than other units, but it was in a fairly decent neighborhood and a rather large establishment. Go with what you want to do b/c if you go into something that just makes more sense then you could end up doing something you really don't like. But hey, if the medical field is really what you want to do then more power to you b/c I couldn't handle it! It takes someone real special to last in a field like that.

What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure.- Samuel Johnson
Old 12-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Originally Posted by Picillo View Post
Your not working with dying animals in a thereputic riding camp. You work with challenged and under privelaged childeren and adults.
Oh. *blushes* I assumed it was something like a vet's office. That would be fun for a while, but I'd probably get bored of it.

Originally Posted by Heather4248 View Post
Well, I suppose it could have been b/c I worked on the alzheimer's unit and they required much more care than other units, but it was in a fairly decent neighborhood and a rather large establishment. Go with what you want to do b/c if you go into something that just makes more sense then you could end up doing something you really don't like. But hey, if the medical field is really what you want to do then more power to you b/c I couldn't handle it! It takes someone real special to last in a field like that.
Yeah, alzheimer's usually do require more. I'm pretty sure I could last in that field since it's basically what I've grown up with. It's like the medical field is the perfect fit for me and somewhere I'd do very well in, but CJ is like the hobby I want to make a career out of.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Heather4248 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Oh. *blushes* I assumed it was something like a vet's office. That would be fun for a while, but I'd probably get bored of it.

Yeah, alzheimer's usually do require more. I'm pretty sure I could last in that field since it's basically what I've grown up with. It's like the medical field is the perfect fit for me and somewhere I'd do very well in, but CJ is like the hobby I want to make a career out of.

I wonder if it would be possible to somehow do both? I am trying to find a way to do both writing and photography since I have a passion and talent in both.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Originally Posted by Heather4248 View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to somehow do both? I am trying to find a way to do both writing and photography since I have a passion and talent in both.
Heh, there's always forensic nursing. I've also thought about that, but never put to much research into it.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe