WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

The Man I Met Late

Old 05-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185
Default The Man I Met Late

The Man I Met Late

He said, “The fundamental factor in a spiritual life is the suppression of desire.”

I wonder whether his statement is true or not, but I wouldn’t challenge it because he was much wiser than I will ever be. About his life, I knew nothing. Though, I can recall seeing a large framed picture of him hanging on a wall in a Hardrock Café in New York City. My next run-in with him was in a thrift shop in Phoenix, Arizona where I spotted him on the cover of a book titled: Avatar: A New Journey into Power and Glory, and onthe book cover photograph he was wearing a red robe, similar to the one in the picture hanging on the wall in the New York restaurant. Some coincidence, I thought. It was probably meant to be that I get to know something about this man.

He had much to say. And, to tell the truth, a lot of what he was saying went straight above my head. Some of the stuff he wrote in his book I had to read two or three times just to get an idea of what he meant. Either he was that brilliant or I was that dumb—and I wouldn’t disagree if somebody said the correct answer is probably both.

I took my time digesting his words, especially when he said, “The surrender of the individual will to the Divine Will will elevate all thoughts, words, and deeds into acts of worship.” What he was saying was rather heavy stuff to me. His philosophy was a little strange too, since I cannot recall sharing an ice cream cone with childhood buddies. Heck, most of the time I ran alone to the candy store with a quarter in my hand. What a selfish brat!

In a way, I wish I did know about him back then. Just imagine his words etched in my head at sixteen-years-old. Oh, my God—Superstar engraved into my brain. Without question, no obstacle or barrier could stand against such a sound mind. A young person taking his advice: “You conquered every enemy of yours, except your own lust! You were pious, you were learned, you subdued even the most powerful foes—but, you allowed yourself to be enslaved by desire. That brought about your downfall."

His words, his knowledge ,will pave smooth life’s bumpiest roads; no pot holes, no flat tires, no ditches, no cliffs; it will be one Sunday drive through the countryside for the listening ears. Naturally, what he was peddling was a tough sell. Who wants to give up the quest for fancy clothes, shiny cars, and pretty women. Aren't these the joys that make the world spin and life worth living.? There isn’t any way I’m becoming a monk, not now while I’m in the prime of my life.

“The magnifying glass draws the rays of the sun on a single point and can set fire to paper or grass. So too, concentration of attention can destroy the seeds of wanton desire. That is why, I advise a few minutes of meditation every day, both in the early morning hours and in the evening, after dusk.”

Those are his words too. Such powerful advice for only a dime. That’s all the owner of the thrift shop in Phoenix charged me for his book. That ten-cent invest truly is the second greatest bargain of my life—the first being the movie ticket I purchased for my girlfriend, whom I later married, on our first date. As I already stated, the man has a tough message to sell. But, I do believe him, even though some say he was a fraud. I look at it this way: he never stuck his hand in my pocket, and all that he has gotten from me is a dime. Therefore, I tend to believe he hais s a refreshing message for a weary world. Heck, I don't have to be a monk. I think all he is saying to open the inner eyes and ears. Fair enough, I can try that. You know, I’m thrilled I met him, even though I was a little late.

Last edited by Cityboy; 05-27-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Old 05-29-2012, 05:50 AM
Nadja

Hi Shelly,

I really like the character portraits you put on here. Your approach is always interesting and sympathetic, and always well-written. Always leaves me with something to think about. As for this man''s message, sounds pretty much like what I was taught in my own religion - Sikhism - I suppose, it is the basis for most if not all religion.I can never quite stop pondering it ...
Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Originally Posted by Nadja View Post
Hi Shelly,

I really like the character portraits you put on here. Your approach is always interesting and sympathetic, and always well-written. Always leaves me with something to think about. As for this man''s message, sounds pretty much like what I was taught in my own religion - Sikhism - I suppose, it is the basis for most if not all religion.I can never quite stop pondering it ...
Thanks again for the kind words.

Satya Sai Baba. (He passed on recently.)

I came upon his book at a very lonely time in my life. It's funny how sometimes the setting has to be just right in order to find what one really needs. Anyhow, even though it was only a book, it brought comfort and ease to me when I needed both most.

I also met him in dreams. I wonder whether he knew I was reading about his life and decided to suprise me with those visits.

"If your heart is united with God, you will be set free from karma even in this life."--BHAGAVAD GITA
Old 06-02-2012, 08:12 AM
SHE1234 (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 9

I believe in a Supreme Being that I will call God. I pursue spirituality in my life. I believe that God made the world and filled it with all of its wonders and boundless questions that humans, by their very nature, must pursue. That is why God made man with Free Will. For me, it is desire that propels man in his quest for answers. So it seems that desire would be required for the pursuit of spirituality, not its suppression.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Originally Posted by SHE1234 View Post
I believe in a Supreme Being that I will call God. I pursue spirituality in my life. I believe that God made the world and filled it with all of its wonders and boundless questions that humans, by their very nature, must pursue. That is why God made man with Free Will. For me, it is desire that propels man in his quest for answers. So it seems that desire would be required for the pursuit of spirituality, not its suppression.
Good for you.

I believe in a Supreme Being that I will call God.

"While God is manifested in nature, and manifested in man, God Himself always remains hidden. He is also present in the subtleties of life--in relationships of good will, in flashes of creative and constructive insight. But he cannot be seen in the way that a car, a football, or a distant star can be seen.

Thus, we come to understand God--only partially, of course, through symbols. Jesus used the symbol of the father, head of the strongly-knit Jewish family in the Palestine culture of the first century. The father was a symbol of authority, of love, of discipline. Jesus then used the descriptive noun to mark the distinctive relationship--"Our Father who art in Heaven." He is neither male nor female, but encompasses the best characteristics of both genders--not only authority and justice, but compassion and tenderness." --Henry Koestline

the pursuit of spirituality,

"At the present time the world doesn't understand what spirituality is. At the current level of intelligence most people are under the impression that being spiritual is an act of faith or belief. They think if their beliefs are right, if they believe in the right god, or the right savior or prophet, then they are spiritual. This is more like business or politics than spirituality. Their religion is in their mind, it's not real. When they listen to speeches about morality or religion, they may feel moved, and the more they are moved by the speech the more spiritual they think they have become. This is more like entertainment than spirituality. This level of mentality can have a holy war and see it as a spiritual act."--Eric A. Mitchell

Though you may be right about "desire" being required to be a spiritual individual, I tend to put "love" at the forefront of the quest for spirituality. I think development may also lend an important hand any discussion about spirituality. Though I'm far from an expert on this subject, I do believe there are highly spiritual persons (teachers) and then there are the beginners and the middle of the roaders. But, probably the path one takes to achieve the highest level of spirituality is, of course, the same as the path saints have tread. What is important is that anyone seeking to develop spiritually stay the course--the diploma of achievement awaits all willing to continue upon that righteous, less travelled, pathway.

The good news here is that love is the shortcut to success. Love makes the seemingly endless and difficult journey to self-perfection feel like a Sunday stroll in the park.

A few nice quotes:

"It's the steady, constant driving to the goal for which you're striving, not the speed in which you travel, that will make your victory sure." --author unknown

"Seems to me that the highest possible reward for one's labor is not what one gets for it, but what one becomes by it." --Brock Bell

"Every trial and frustration in our lives is an opportunity to expand our self-awareness and rise above our current limitations." --author unknown

"The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials." --Confucius

Last edited by Cityboy; 06-02-2012 at 02:22 PM..
Old 06-11-2012, 01:33 PM
maidahl

Beautiful piece. It's a bit wordy and redundant. Keep your sentences concise and simple. And why do you think he is wiser than you? Don't compare. This was rather insightful!

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing