WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Marissa

Old 01-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696
Default Marissa

Good day to you.

My name is Marissa. I'm twenty years old, red-haired and small boned, and have recently become leader of the township and male-dominated society of Mynae.

I am an odd blend of both my father and my mother. My father, from whom I have acquired the Mynaen leadership, is a well-respected member of our society; rational, solid, stable. My mother, however, is another story. She's mad. Crazy. Insane. An affliction I fear may engulf me one day.

Mad? you say. How so?

She copulated with a demonic beast from the netherworld and bore him a son--my horrible half-brother, Lamont, who once tried to slit my throat and who plagues me to this day, despite his past exile for treason.

With a mad mother, a vindictive sibling, and a township filled with people who believe a female has no place in leadership, my life is bad enough. But now I've discovered I have a hidden "true life"-- one I was created for by Orenda, our world's creator and Mistress, who made the mistake of unleashing upon her people the terror of the beasts, with their bloodlust and taste for our flesh.

I am to cleanse her world, rid it of these demonic creatures. But there's a catch. Actually, a couple of catches.

I have to join forces with one of the enemy, the beast my mother once copulated with, who holds the Maker's Eye, the object that can see into other worlds and through which the beasts crossed over.

And supposedly I know the proper location upon which to open the Eye, though I have been told nothing, merely left a magical journal of unusual writings that deciphers itself at will and manifests itself in selective depictions of Caendoria's past. Hardly a help.

I'm not sure I'm willing to follow this fate. I mean, really. Trust a beast? I don't know how I feel about fulfilling some "true life" mapped out by someone who's been dead for twenty years and who's had no contact with me, other than in my infancy. My father's taught me that we control our own destinies and our fate always lies in the choices we ultimately make.

Well, it is, isn't it?

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Devon; 01-16-2009 at 08:12 AM..
Old 01-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Hello Marissa

I have been to many places, but I don’t think I ever visited Mynae, is it nice there?

You say you are the leader, but what sort of society do you lead, a oligarchy, monarchy, demo-achy or any of the other forms of government? Or in other words how absolute is your power?

Good luck with this destiny, I hope it doesn’t rob you of your humanity.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Good day, Tau. It's nice to meet you.
I have been to many places, but I don’t think I ever visited Mynae, is it nice there?
Mynae? Lovely place. Clear lavender skies, silvery trees, mild weather throughout half of the cycle of our Cerulean lunar year. Our township is quite pleasant, as well. Corruption has been kept to the barest minimum, and we thrive on a simple bartering system; goods in exchange for goods, which keeps down theft and other undesirable behaviors.

You say you are the leader, but what sort of society do you lead, a oligarchy, monarchy, demo-achy or any of the other forms of government? Or in other words how absolute is your power?
Normally, I would confer with a council of prominent townspeople in order to make decisions that will affect my people--an oligarchy, in effect--but at the end of the day, I ultimately have the final word. Sounds ideal, doesn't it? Not when it comes to whether you need to send people to their deaths, it's not.

Good luck with this destiny, I hope it doesn’t rob you of your humanity.
Thank you, Tau. I hope it won't either.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Just a few more questions if you don’t mind.

What would you like to do if you were not the leader?

How many people are you responsible for?

Ever thought of marriage?

Old 01-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

I don't mind at all.

What would you like to do if you were not the leader?
Had I not been born into the role, you mean? A simple citizen with a simple trade, like my friend, Ariana. She's a weaver, taught by the aging widow she was taken in by. Or a grower; something that'll contribute to the benevolent nature of our society. Something not so stressful.

How many people are you responsible for?
Five thousand men, women and children.

Ever thought of marriage?
Marriage? What is this 'marriage' you speak of?

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

You know, find a husband, have a wedding, make lots of little babies, or do you do things differently where you are from.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

You know, find a husband, have a wedding, make lots of little babies, or do you do things differently where you are from.
A . . . husband? Wedding? *chuckle* Babies I do understand. I think you are referring to our taking lifemates, so yes, I have thought about that. I've fallen in love with one of our soldiers, Tayib, but my Keeper insists that I shouldn't take one of our regiment as a lifemate, that it will cause all types of problems.

Not if I release him from the ranks, though. Not normally done by leaders in the past, but I'm willing to make an exception.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Ah I see the problem, a language barrier, sorry, but I did not see a Mynaeian cultural dictionary in the library.

What does this Tayib think about this, or don’t you know.

I am but a wanderer and a stranger to this realm, but if the population at large is already uneasy about having you as leader, would breaking tradition and custom not enrage them more?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:16 PM
El902 (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 43
Send a message via AIM to El902 Send a message via MSN to El902

Marissa! A pleasure, my dear, a pleasure! You're a queen eh... Think you could get me some robes or something of the like? Maybe a crown... No? Oh well

So how do you and your father get along? Is he a mentor of sorts, as he ruled before you? What do you think he likes most about you? How do you think that's affected you: Has it made you live up to something you didn't want to, strive for something to please him, etc.. What I'm getting at here is what kind of relationship do the two of you have?

I see you have a friend that is not of royalty. () Is this common among leaders, to not discriminate over who is worthy and who is not? How long have the two of you been friends? Do you have any other close friends?

Are you scared about the task you have? Eager to prove that a woman has just as much right to defend as a man, or not concerned with what others think either way? Where'd all the sexism originate, anyway?

Well, nice meeting you and really, if you happen upon an unneeded crown...
Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Not if I release him from the ranks, though. Not normally done by leaders in the past, but I'm willing to make an exception.
How would Tayib react to that? Men, especially in patriarchal societies, can have such strange ideas. He might feel like a "kept man".

What is the power structure in a lifemating? Is one partner usually in charge? If the man has the authority, it might make it hard for a female leader to take a lifemate. What would you do if you and he had different ideas about a matter of state? Who would prevail?

Tell me more about Lamont. When was he exiled? How well do you know him?

What about your Keeper? What's his/her role and how do the two of you relate?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

What does this Tayib think about this, or donít you know.
*laughs* Tayib is the one who picked out our children's names!

I am but a wanderer and a stranger to this realm, but if the population at large is already uneasy about having you as leader, would breaking tradition and custom not enrage them more?
Ah, well, perhaps. But I don't think anyone would want to risk exile from our township for treason. It's a harsh world out there.

Marissa! A pleasure, my dear, a pleasure! You're a queen eh... Think you could get me some robes or something of the like? Maybe a crown... No?
A . . . queen? Pray tell, what is a queen? I am merely a leader, and an heir before that.

So how do you and your father get along? Is he a mentor of sorts, as he ruled before you? What do you think he likes most about you? How do you think that's affected you: Has it made you live up to something you didn't want to, strive for something to please him, etc.. What I'm getting at here is what kind of relationship do the two of you have?
My goodness! Such questions!

My father and I have a wonderful relationship. He's the one who didn't disown me at birth, as my mother had. He is the one I look up to and adore, and yes, it has made me live up to something I didn't want: the Mynaen leadership. But I did for his sake, to make him proud.

I see you have a friend that is not of royalty. () Is this common among leaders, to not discriminate over who is worthy and who is not? How long have the two of you been friends? Do you have any other close friends?
Yes, yes! Her name's Ariana. Oh, we leaders don't discriminate. We believe that all of our citizens are equal in our society. Ariana and I have been friends for about ten years, ever since she came to Mynae as an orphan from the Southlands. I have no other close friends, other than she and Tayib. My Keeper is very strict and insists that my friendship with Ariana will lead to naught but ill.

Are you scared about the task you have? Eager to prove that a woman has just as much right to defend as a man, or not concerned with what others think either way? Where'd all the sexism originate, anyway?
Scared of my task? Certainly. Especially since it involves death. Whose death? I'm not certain, but Orenda's journal has mentioned death, and I want no part of it. I'm not truly concerned about what others have to say about this supposed "true life" of mine; no one knows about it other than me and this . . . beast.

Sexism? *shakes head* Can you explain, please?

How would Tayib react to that? Men, especially in patriarchal societies, can have such strange ideas. He might feel like a "kept man".
He doesn't mind and, in fact, he's looking forward to it.

What is the power structure in a lifemating? Is one partner usually in charge? If the man has the authority, it might make it hard for a female leader to take a lifemate. What would you do if you and he had different ideas about a matter of state? Who would prevail?
In choosing a lifemate amongst the commoners, the man usually takes precedence over the woman. He chooses and she abides, though the choice is usually governed by love. Leaders have special rights--we take the lifemate of our choosing, regardless if this person is in love. Take my father, for example. In his youth, he could have had anyone he chose, had young women swooning over him, yet he chose my mother, my sour, hateful mother, and why? Because she was difficult to achieve, and he wanted her. Fortunately, though, Tayib wants to be my lifemate, so there's no conflict of interest. If Tayib had different ideas about a matter of state, he's certainly welcome to his opinion. If I see it holds merit, I will take it into consideration with the council.

Tell me more about Lamont. When was he exiled? How well do you know him?
Lamont. Bastard child of my mother and this . . . horrid beast of hers. He was exiled thirteen years ago when he tried to kill me in the study of our manor house. My Keeper was absent and he slipped in, threatened my life. But when Abigale returned . . . he was forced out. I know him all too well. He watched me. All the time. Watched me with those cold, hard emerald eyes. Waiting for his chance to end my life. When he was exiled, it was as though a dark weight had been lifted from my back.

What about your Keeper? What's his/her role and how do the two of you relate?
My Keeper, Abigale. Yes, her role is mentor and mother figure. She's the one who taught me how to read and write, and my lessons from the Tome of Leadership. I do find her a bit stifling at times, but her heart is there. She tries to do what's best for me, though what she thinks is best for me usually is only what's best for her. She was almost taken as my father's lifemate, until my mother interfered. Well . . . interfered isn't the word, I suppose. Until my mother showed her face, the face my father fell in love with and obsessed over.

Thank you for your questions, everyone, and it was nice to meet you all. Perhaps we can speak together some more later?

Author's note:

Tayib

Twisty mind candy:

Last edited by Devon; 01-16-2009 at 06:11 PM..
Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

As a traveller to your lands I have to say your society sounds almost to nice to be true, is there something you are not telling us?

Old 01-17-2009, 01:31 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

As a traveller to your lands I have to say your society sounds almost to nice to be true, is there something you are not telling us?
What do you mean by this? Are you saying that our society sounds too perfect, too ideal? It is said that our world's creator, Orenda, made her lands as such--to be perfect; a paradise, in a sense. And when she brought others through the Maker's Eye in order to populate her world, the original people deemed it so, having previously come from a harsh environment. Orenda had always tried to maintain her utopian world; she felt her people deserved as much.

As far as our society is concerned, we do have our discontenteds, yes. But their plights are usually taken into consideration and discussed amongst the council, and a fair decision reached. We have our lawbreakers as well, who are promptly exiled from our township. They are strictly forbidden back into the township side of the city walls. With the other townships to the east and the west many days' trek from us and bloodthirsty beasts frequenting the lands beyond our borders, exile from the comfort of Mynae is not something to take lightly.

Overall, our township is a peaceable one, started as such by my great-grandfather and kept that way all through my lineage. We strive to keep it that way. When it deviates, we make a concerted effort to bring right back to our people.

Twisty mind candy:

Last edited by Devon; 01-17-2009 at 01:46 AM..
Old 01-17-2009, 04:27 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

You say a fair decisions are reached, but are the fair to the person who might be exiled?

And while we are on the matter, what happens if it turns out that an exiled person was totally innocent?

You have town walls, and for those to be effective they need to be close to the buildings and so on. This would not leave space for any farms, so how do you feed your people if the outside is so dangerous?

Old 01-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

You say a fair decisions are reached, but are the fair to the person who might be exiled?

And while we are on the matter, what happens if it turns out that an exiled person was totally innocent?

You have town walls, and for those to be effective they need to be close to the buildings and so on. This would not leave space for any farms, so how do you feed your people if the outside is so dangerous?
All good questions, my friend.

Exile is only for severe offenses: treason, murder, an attempt at murder; those as such. Other, smaller, offenses and disagreements are brought in front of the council, and a decision reached.

As long as we have at least two witnesses to the person's grievous offense, the exiled person is considered guilty. Any less than this, and the council will make an executive decision after hearing the guilty's and the witness' pleas.

Our township is quite spacious, really, with the township farms along the south-facing walls. All citizens have their own smaller plots as well, to work as they see fit. We also have larger fields outside the city walls along the south-facing side of our meadow hill. Yes, it is outside the city walls, but we also have a special protection along our borders, which are further beyond the woodlands, the Necropolis, and the main meadow hill; it encircles our three hills in all, and keeps the beasts out of our territory. Unfortunately, though, we fear our special protection has waned since the death of our world's Mistress twenty years prior, and have since had to improvise through other means.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Three hills worth of fields can not feed five thousand souls, so forgive me for being suspicious, but I did once hear of a place, were the unwary ended up in the pot, not that I am accusing you or your people of anything.

Two witnesses? What if they both have reason to see the accused exiled?
Also pleas consider, that witness are not inherently reliable, memory of events are not infallible, especially if there might have been a crime.
And what of those where no witness can be found, do they escape exile?

Old 01-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Three hills worth of fields can not feed five thousand souls, so forgive me for being suspicious, but I did once hear of a place, were the unwary ended up in the pot, not that I am accusing you or your people of anything.
Indeed. We also have our elixir, the main nourishment of our world. It is considered complete in all aspects, though don't ask me what it's made of. It is said to be the essence of angel in liquid form. To others, it is simply something like . . . how has it been said in your world . . . a fountain of youth? And don't forget about our joint plots inside the city walls, and the citizens' personal plots for their own use.

And we only have one meadowland hill; the others are forested. And . . . eat our people? Never! That is what the beasts do, and we're far above them.

Two witnesses? What if they both have reason to see the accused exiled?
Also pleas consider, that witness are not inherently reliable, memory of events are not infallible, especially if there might have been a crime.
And what of those where no witness can be found, do they escape exile?
Hmm. I shall confer with my council and come back with the answers to these, my dear friend. You have given me food for thought.

Twisty mind candy:

Last edited by Devon; 01-17-2009 at 12:32 PM..
Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

A fountain of youth is a precious indeed, you are blessed, may I humbly request a taste, for I have never come across one in all my years of travel.

What vegetables do you grow, something unique to here or something more widespread?
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Hmm. I shall confer with my council and come back with the answers to these, my dear friend. You have given me food for thought.
I am glad I could be of serves.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

A fountain of youth is a precious indeed, you are blessed, may I humbly request a taste, for I have never come across one in all my years of travel.
Please do. *leads Tau to elixir pool in center of township, hands Tau a drinking vessel* Let me know how it tastes to you.

What vegetables do you grow, something unique to here or something more widespread?
Vegetables of all kinds, though I'm certain they are different from where you come from. We also have fruit-bearing trees and harvest nutmeats from both the ground and from other types of plantlife.

Twisty mind candy:

Last edited by Devon; 01-18-2009 at 01:44 AM..
Old 01-18-2009, 03:09 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Interesting, there is a faint hint of honey and a slight nutty flavour as well. Thank you for this opportunity.

Talking of growing food, do you seasons here, and how do they manifest?

I see you have a smith, what metals can he work with?

(If there is no smithy or similar, then I have been misinterpreting the technology level)

Old 01-18-2009, 04:55 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Interesting, there is a faint hint of honey and a slight nutty flavour as well. Thank you for this opportunity.
Honey? Pray tell . . . what is this 'honey' you speak of? Nutty flavor. Interesting. Many of our people speak of the elixir's sweetness, its refreshing taste and warmth as it flows down one's throat, though my mother insists that it's bitter and harsh, like a well-placed insult. *shakes head* Mad, I tell you.

Talking of growing food, do you seasons here, and how do they manifest?
We do have seasons; two, in fact. One is warmer than the other, though we are still able to grow our foodstuffs throughout the Cerulean lunar year.

I see you have a smith, what metals can he work with?
A smith? I'm sorry, but I fear you are mistaken. Nurian is the township with the smiths, and the possession of Fire. Yes, I know what you're thinking: How can one survive without Fire? We do very well, actually. Our lands are quite mild, as I mentioned, thus we have no extra need to keep warm. Our elixir glows at night, thus we fill our lanterns with it for light. And the little we do cook, we harvest the heat from the sun for that purpose.* Otherwise, much of the food we eat is raw, as the nutrients are best in this manner.

*Author's note:

Cooking

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Ungood (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 8

I have heard of many cooks and chefs that cook upon rocks heated by the sun, is that how you cook with the harvest sun? Or do you employ some other means like glass or crystal containers that boil or steam with enough solar power?

But beyond that, I am very intruged by the beasts. What are they? Where did they come from? And more to the point what do they want with you and your people?

Also, if you have no fire any only solar power, what do you use for weapons and blades?

You said another town had fire, and smiths, do you buy their goods and equipment? IF so, how do you pay for them?

And, do the beasts prohibit trade between your cities and such by attacking caravans or wandering merchants?

Because we all need a cheering section.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Honey comes in many forms and flavours, but in essence it is a yellowish liquid or solid depending on temperature and concentration and is very sticky.
It is made by a hive insect called bees, and the flavour will vary depending on where it comes from. As one of the main components is sugar it is very sweet, I do believe I have some on me.

*takes out a little wooden jar and unbinds the top*
Have some

I have been here long enough to experience day and night, but how long is your year, and the season within it.

Oh I see, I though I saw an anvil stone, earlier.

I have seen no domesticated animals here, so do you send people out to hunt?

I too am curios about these beasts, are they all the same or is each one different?

(Devon, I need a rough estimate of the level of technology, hence the question about a smith and by extension metal working, as it stand we could be anywhere from early bronze age to 16/17 hundred of our world.)

Old 01-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Mmm! I can see now how you thought our elixir was much like this. How curious these bees must be to make such a delectable food! Is this the only thing they do?

I have been here long enough to experience day and night, but how long is your year, and the season within it.
Our year is fifteen waxings of our Roseate moon, or six-hundred seventy-five risings of the suns. Our seasons are split. The warmer months occur from the First through the Seventh month--or from the full Cerulean to the new Cerulean--and the cooler months from new to full again--or Eighth through the Fifteenth month.

I have seen no domesticated animals here, so do you send people out to hunt?
Hunt? What do you mean? As far as these . . . animals that you speak of, I believe I've seen those in Orenda's journal. She did not allow such creatures to pass though into her world when she brought her people through, hence we have no such things here.

I too am curios about these beasts, are they all the same or is each one different?
The beasts. Ugh. They are horrid, bloodthirsty creatures. Enormous, red-skinned demons of the netherworld. They all have curved horns, claws that tear and jaws that crush. I believe my father's late brother has drawn a picture of one of them, if you'd like me to find it for you. They're all the same to any of us; terrible, terrible things, that they are.

(Tau: their society is based around a fifteenth century society, through they work mostly with wooden tools. They have traded things for metal objects (mostly tools) from Nurian, until they became estranged and trade with them was severed.)

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Actually they do make another thing, it is called wax, it is kind of like an oil, but solid. It can be brittle or malleable depending on its consistency and the temperature. It has to may uses to list here, but I think I have a little with me.

*rummages in bag, and coat pockets*

Ok found some

*shows Marissa a wax tablet*

It is used as a reusable writing surface, one slightly warms the wax and then engraves letters as wanted, when one no longer need what is written one simply warms the wax again.

Ok so you don’t hunt, how do you get enough protein, as vegetables and similar don’t contain all the nutrients needed for humans to survive, and unless your Elixir acts in ways that are not apparent then you need to have a source of food other then what I have seen.

Why did she not bring such animals, I can think of several that might be of use.

Oh and what do you use to make your clothing?

Do you or any other settlements have coal or metal mines?
Do you know what flint is, and how to use it?

Old 01-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Actually they do make another thing, it is called wax, it is kind of like an oil, but solid. It can be brittle or malleable depending on its consistency and the temperature. It has to may uses to list here, but I think I have a little with me.

*rummages in bag, and coat pockets*

Ok found some

*shows Marissa a wax tablet*

It is used as a reusable writing surface, one slightly warms the wax and then engraves letters as wanted, when one no longer need what is written one simply warms the wax again.
Ooo! *handles wax tablet* How very interesting. . . . Would you mind terribly if I kept this, showed it to the council? They're always curious about unusual items.

Ok so you don’t hunt, how do you get enough protein, as vegetables and similar don’t contain all the nutrients needed for humans to survive, and unless your Elixir acts in ways that are not apparent then you need to have a source of food other then what I have seen.
I'm not certain what this 'protein' is that you speak of, but our elixir is a complete source of nourishment. In adequate amounts, it keeps us physically healthy. Taken away or rationed, we become sickly.

Why did she not bring such animals, I can think of several that might be of use.
I believe it had something to do with her connection to her world. In her journal, I saw a depiction of her healthy and hale before she brought her people from the other world through the Maker's Eye, and they were content, at first, until they wanted to develop her lands. She allowed it, and their workings--felling trees, removing stone, clearing of huge areas to make way for development and the erection of a new society--had worn down her world, thus wore her down as well. She saw what people--just people--had done to her and Caendoria, and she feared she would wane altogether should she allow other creatures in.

Pray tell, what types of these animals would you have thought were here?

Oh and what do you use to make your clothing?
Many of the plants here are pliable enough to be worked. We have weavers and garment makers who specialize in this trade, and they barter their work--or make specialty clothing, like my coronation dress--for the things they need.

Do you or any other settlements have coal or metal mines?
Do you know what flint is, and how to use it?
I don't understand what coal is. Flint, Nurian possesses, thus they use it to start their Fire. A mine? What is a mine? We do have tunnels from which we harvest the rock we need, and Nurian has many tunnels for their gems, which they use for currency in their township. Is this what you mean by 'mine'?

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Have it as a gift

There must be more to you elixir then meets the mind, though I see that you are also depended on it to survive. If I were you, then I would try to reduce the dependence, for if you ever run out, you would idea out with it.

Don’t look at me like that, nothing last forever, and it is better to be safe then sorry.

As for this protein, it is a group of nutrients, and while you can find some form of it in certain seeds of plants only those that come from animals contain the sort that humans need.

(Devon: this is all simplified and a bit untrue, but I don’t think Marissa would understand much of a lesson in human nutrition and cell biology and I will trop the subject soon, as this is clearly a problematic area ~ Tau)

Curios that, humans are one of the most destructive elements in nature, not as individuals, or as groups, but as entire species, but don’t worry your head over it.

As for what sort of animals I would have though to be useful.

Well there are many, so I will just pick just three.

The first would be dogs, they are loyal to humans once trained, and can act as gourd, you see they have a sense of smell, and range of herring far better then us. They could detect any beast before you could.

Then there are sheep, their fur grows in a way that allows it to be cut of once a year, and then trough process and work can be turned to cloths superior to almost any plant based garment.

Then there is the horse, once trained they allow a human to ride on them, allowing them to travel a lot faster then on foot. They can also carry a lot, so ease transportation of materials.

These are just three different sort, and don’t forget the bee, that made the honey, that would be a forth.

But as they all don’t seem to exist as far as I can see then telling you this will be no more then telling a child a fable, it has truth in it, but is of no practical value.

Coal is a type of rock that burns.

A mine is an organised, I guess harvest would work, of material from the earth, stone, metal, coal, and so forth. You do have something like it, so I assume this is just another language barrier.

I would recommend that you get hold of flint, one day a fire might be useful.

You have mentioned the Nurians, are there other settlements that you know of, and what can you tell me about them?

Old 01-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Have it as a gift

There must be more to you elixir then meets the mind, though I see that you are also depended on it to survive. If I were you, then I would try to reduce the dependence, for if you ever run out, you would idea out with it.

Don’t look at me like that, nothing last forever, and it is better to be safe then sorry.
Thank you for the wax.

My apologies, but I don't feel that our elixir will ever run out. It's quite abundant throughout our world. And we do have other things we harvest to eat, also in quite an abundance.

As for this protein, it is a group of nutrients, and while you can find some form of it in certain seeds of plants only those that come from animals contain the sort that humans need.
Ah! Very interesting, this protein.
The first would be dogs, they are loyal to humans once trained, and can act as gourd, you see they have a sense of smell, and range of herring far better then us. They could detect any beast before you could.

Then there are sheep, their fur grows in a way that allows it to be cut of once a year, and then trough process and work can be turned to cloths superior to almost any plant based garment.

Then there is the horse, once trained they allow a human to ride on them, allowing them to travel a lot faster then on foot. They can also carry a lot, so ease transportation of materials.
Indeed! These must be what Orenda called the "beasts of burden" in her journal. How I wish I could see these creatures. They sound quite fascinating and useful.

These are just three different sort, and don’t forget the bee, that made the honey, that would be a forth.
Yes, yes. Of course.

Coal is a type of rock that burns.
Burning rock? How strange.

I would recommend that you get hold of flint, one day a fire might be useful.
Oh, no, no. Fire attracts the beasts. It was banned from the Northlands in 3C by the Mynaen councilors before our city walls were erected and Orenda's ring of protection put into place. It's to ensure they--the beasts, that is--are not drawn to our territory. Nurian does possess Fire, though their township is completely enclosed by a golden dome and more heavily protected than we are.

You have mentioned the Nurians, are there other settlements that you know of, and what can you tell me about them?
Nurian, yes. Well, there's also Tuyen, the township my mother originally came from. It was a smaller, unprotected village in the west, hidden within a valley, that got destroyed in 228C by the beasts. The thirteen people who survived traveled here to live, my mother included. And then there's the Southlands, which I know about, but my father refuses me any details on. He says it is not worth learning about, and he is the only one who knows what purpose it serves.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

How does fire attract the beast?

How long do your people live?
You mention that Mynae was founded by your great grandfather so unless you have a above average lifespan here 228 can not have been to far in the past, but yet you refer to it in a sense of ancient history, when at it was at most 30 years ago, talking of which, what is the current year?

So tell me a bit more about Tayib?

Are you religious, and what religions do you have here.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

How does fire attract the beast?
As I've heard, the beasts subsist on Fire. It is their life force just as ours is the elixir, thus they are drawn to wherever it might be.

How long do your people live?
You mention that Mynae was founded by your great grandfather so unless you have a above average lifespan here 228 can not have been to far in the past, but yet you refer to it in a sense of ancient history, when at it was at most 30 years ago, talking of which, what is the current year?
Oh, no, no. Mynae was founded more than three hundred years ago. My great-grandfather was merely one leader of many past ones. If councilor Silas is anything to go by, we Caendorians can live past the age of ninety or more. He is approaching that age and now just slowing down. The current year? 260C.

So tell me a bit more about Tayib?
*smiles* What would you like to know about him?

Are you religious, and what religions do you have here.
Religious? How do you mean?

Twisty mind candy:

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics