WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction

Fiction Novel excerpts, short stories, etc.

Working at the ranch.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 PM
WilliamS. (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 236
Default Working at the ranch.

Working at the ranch.

(a true story. Names and vehicles have been changed to protect the innocent)

Juan found a job! (It doesn't have to be Juan, but let us just call him Juan for the sake of simplicity.) A friend told him they had work up at the $-bar ranch, and he went up to the $-bar ranch to see about the work they had.

Driving up to the ranch in his pickup truck, (it doesn't have to be a pickup truck, but let's just call it a pickup truck for the sake of simplicity) he turned off the road and up the long well kept driveway at $-bar ranch. Juan was impressed; it was a big ranch with many horses in many stables, well to do people kept their $30-50,000 horses there so they didn't have to deal with feeding them or brushing them or sweeping the shit out of the stalls everyday. They could just visit for a few hours on the weekend, or once a month, or when the part time parent who wanted to WIN LOVE had custody time.

Juan drove his pickup past the barn, past the trail entrances, past the riding arena, and up to the huge and brand new immaculate ranch house. Juan lifted the brass horseshoe shaped knocker and rapped it three times politely. A Mexican woman answered the door and Juan began to tell her he was here about the job, but she avoided eye contact and walked back into the house. Juan noticed she carried a bucket and a rag, so he gathered that she was the maid and was going to get the head of the household. Juan waited on the porch patiently.*

A few moments later he heard some abuse being leveled at the maid in English, but since he didn't speak English he shrugged his shoulders and continued to wait. The maid hustled back toward him, her eyes cast downward, and she was followed by an expensive looking Caucasian woman in a red bathing suit, her waist wrapped with a white towel, wearing large white sunglasses and jewelry.*

"What does he want?"she asked the maid without looking at Juan.

The maid translated, and Juan began explaining about how he'd heard they needed workers, and how he'd worked on ranches for years in Mexico, he was a hard worker, he had a family, was a religious man,....

"What is he saying?" interrupted the expensive woman?

The maid began explaining, but was cut off after a few words. "Yes, Yes, the job. Tell him he starts tomorrow at 6am sharp. I'll pay him $1500. a month. Thank him for me."*

As the maid explained and Juan tried to express his thanks, the expensive woman looked at him for the first time, smiled brightly, and immediately walked back thru the house.*

Juan didn't understand, but he was glad for the opportunity and tried to get some particulars from the maid.*

"Don't be late." said the maid, and she closed and bolted the door.

That night Juan told his family about the good fortune he'd had in finding employment. "It's not enough money, but if I work hard it will get better."

The family was happy, and Juan's wife kissed him as he left the family in the living room watching T.V.. He felt good to be going to sleep early, knowing he'd be waking up to earn an honest living once again. He fell asleep quickly,and slept contentedly, deeper than he had in months.

The next morning he arrived at the ranch a half an hour early. He didn't see any other workers around, but it was a Monday, he was early.....he decided to take a walk around and familiarize himself with his new place of employment. He noticed that the horses were low on water. He located the hose and filled their water buckets. Next he noticed that the stalls needed sweeping out. He did that as well. He found the hay and oats, he let the horses into the pasture, all the little jobs that are universal on ranches came back to him naturally, and it was 1pm before he saw anyone else.*

He was drinking water from a hose, having just refilled the water buckets with fresh water, when the expensive woman from the day before drove up to the barn in an Escalade. She got out and walked toward Juan. She looked around and was obviously impressed with the amount of work he'd done over the last 7 hours. "I think you'll do just fine..." she said, smiling, and got back into the Escalade and drove off.

Juan knew enough English to understand this, and he sat down to eat the lunch his wife had prepared for him. He ate in a few minutes, worked until 2pm, and got into the pickup truck and drove home. He was pleasantly tired after a good 8 hours of physical labor, and came home to a good meal, a little T.V. with the family, and off to bed early again.*

Tuesday was about the same, saving that the expensive woman never showed up to check on him.

Wednesday was the same again. At about 2pm, as he was finishing up, the expensive lady pulled up and approached him. She looked around, apparently pleased. "You're doing a great job. Today could you go out and repair the fence in the southeast corner of the big pasture, and also brush down the mare in stall 13? Her owner is coming tomorrow and we must make a good impression." She smiled.*

"Oh, I come in at 6..." Juan explained, "so it's time for me to leave at 2..."

The expensive woman frowned. "Well, we work from 6 until 4, so I think you have time."

"But that is ten hours a day..." Juan tried to explain in his best English...

"Well," the expensive lady began, "you do get an hour off for lunch!"*

With that she took her leave. Juan mended the fence, brushed the horse, and left the ranch at 4:25.*

When he arrived home his wife asked why he was so late. He explained that he was to work from 6 to 4. "But that's ten hours," his wife replied.

Juan explained that he does get an hour for lunch, so it's only nine hours, and whats an extra hour at that? They both knew they needed the money. His wife grudgingly agreed. Juan went to bed a little earlier that night.

On Thursday the expensive lady drove by at 4 o'clock; she didn't stop, she just smiled and waved. Juan smiled back, washed off with the hose, and drove home.

Friday was no different, but this time the expensive woman did stop by at 4 o'clock. She walked up to Juan, looked around at all his work and smiled. He smiled back and cheerfully said "it's Friday!"*

She smiled and agreed. She nodded, apparently acknowledging his good work and said "See you tomorrow!"

She got into the Escalade and drove off. Juan washed off with the hose and took the pickup home.

Juan didn't tell his wife until the morning. She heard the alarm clock go off and saw him putting on the work clothes and asked what he was doing.

"It's only one more day..." he said, and went off to the $-bar ranch.

He worked even harder today-he'd prove that he could work more than anyone that expensive woman could ever find! She was testing him, and he was going to pass above and beyond all expectations!

At 4pm after working even harder than he had all week the expensive lady jogged up. She wore a yellow sweat suit with red piping, she had on an iPod playing some electronic dance music, and she was joined by a little brown dog on a red leash.*

Juan smiled at the dog, but it barked and snapped at him. She jerked the leash and the dog yelped and shut up.*

"All done..."said Juan, still smiling. "See you Monday...."

"I had hoped to see you tomorrow..." the expensive woman said, not without venom.

"But..."stammered Juan, " tomorrow is Sunday, I go to church with my family on Sund....."

"Well then this is your last day working HERE!" she snapped.*

"But it's Sunday..." Juan protested weakly....

"If you won't do it someone will. Get off of my property!"*

The expensive lady watched with arms crossed and a stern expression as Juan got into the*
truck and drove slowly away. She replaced her headphones and jogged off with the little brown dog. She was giggling.

As he drove home in his pickup truck *Juan prayed to Jesus for the salvation of her soul.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Phoenix Lazarus (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 111

when the part time parent who wanted to WIN LOVE had custody time

Don't really think you need to put 'WIN LOVE' in capitals.

Juan waited on the porch patiently.
Should be a comma before the last word.

I can't help thinking Juan would have established which days he was working prior to starting work. It's all tersely and competently written, though, this notwithstanding.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM
WilliamS. (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 236

You'll have to ask "Juan" about that. This is based on a true story, and competence and terse-ness are both great compliments. Thank you.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Phoenix Lazarus (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 111

Originally Posted by WilliamS. View Post
You'll have to ask "Juan" about that. This is based on a true story, and competence and terse-ness are both great compliments. Thank you.
You're welcome!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Rooster Smith (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 212

Originally Posted by WilliamS. View Post
Wow, how'd you find out about it?

I liked this, I like how Juan holds his values over his livelihood ...

I get the point your trying to make but the capitalist in me has to ask, "They did pay him right?"
Check out my blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Ephemera (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 20

A good story! Juan is very likeable. A good man I think you should emphasize that the maid that works there looks unhappy and worn out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 PM
WilliamS. (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 236

Thanks for the questions-this is based on a story about a friend's
father-fucked up for sure, and true. I thought Upton Sinclair should've/could've written it. It would've been better if it was just a story and not true.

I asked a week later and they paid him what amounted to 5$ an hour for the work he did, but there was a trailer on the property he could stay in, so they counted that as "boarding". He said the trailer was "okay."

Last edited by WilliamS.; 06-28-2012 at 08:59 PM..

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction