WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

How much LGBT do you include?

Old 06-28-2018, 05:24 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,066

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
There is no stopping a man who knows he's right, and keeps on coming. Texas Rangers via Louis LaAmour

There is actually. Louis was wrong. In the near term it seems impossible, but eventually an alpha runs into a more determined alpha and is ripped to shreds. It’s the way of biology, and evolution. The deepest ideas of religious belief are just truisms about the human race, and they’ll probably be with us forever in one form or another. But the specific sects (baptist, trad Catholics) will die. Narrow ideologies always do.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:25 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 695

In reality the tenets of the Baptist church reached back to the beginning of Christianity, and Catholicism perhaps 100 or 200 years after that.

So there is a couple thousand years of faith, belief, tradition.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:34 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,066

In reality the tenets of the Baptist church reached back to the beginning of Christianity, and Catholicism perhaps 100 or 200 years after that.

So there is a couple thousand years of faith, belief, tradition.

Sorry Bro... you need to study the real Christianity. I realize you said the “tenents” but everyone thinks their ideas trace back to the beginning. Honestly, I don’t think any modern Christian sects even resemble original Christianity.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:10 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 695

Actually, I said....Tenets

I can read the scriptures, and read Christian books from outside my sect (I do) and some net research which might or might not be reliable.

But If I read the scriptures (from the King James) then a stripped down Baptist Church or a stripped down Community Church is often very close to what is described.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:20 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,066

Actually, I said....Tenets

I can read the scriptures, and read Christian books from outside my sect (I do) and some net research which might or might not be reliable.

But If I read the scriptures (from the King James) then a stripped down Baptist Church or a stripped down Community Church is often very close to what is described.

Yes... auto-correct.

KJV is a translation (and re-write) from 1600 years after the real thing by members of the Church of England. The first major revision was to ensure (foremost) the idea of an “ordained” clergy. This, a transfer of power from god to man on earth. Hmm... wonder why?

Too bad most of us can’t read Ancient Greek, much less Hebrew and Aramaic.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:05 PM
jimr (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 38

It's about money, so write what you think is going to sell. Insofar as a male writing lesbian characters, we as writers shouldn't care. I actually use a non-gender pen name (Chris) because readers (and 1 publisher believe it or not) got on me about a male writing a 1st person female rape victim or 1st person lesbian. The publisher actually said I didn't have the "authority" to write a female rape victim story.

I would write LGBTs for publishers or readers that like LGBTs. Or for a plot point, for instance: I'm finishing up a ten pager where a Republican candidate secretly helps back an Independent candidate who is transsexual, specifically to denigrate the Democratic candidate (who looks like the transsexual and has the same basic platform); this is an LGBT conflict device.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:07 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 67

Seems like you're overthinking it.

If you're writing gay fiction as a backhanded away of coming out to your mom, just save that for Thanksgiving. It'll give your family something to talk about.

Otherwise, just stick to what you know, unless the minty smell of fresh pecker and the schlarping noises from the back seat of Billy's Buick is what you know. Then, write away. Nothing like fresh pecker on a Tuesday.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:59 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,369

[QUOTE=spshane

If you're writing gay fiction as a backhanded away of coming out to your mom, just save that for Thanksgiving. It'll give your family something to talk about.

[/QUOTE]

That was smooth.
Thanks for a gasp guffaw before my Friday workday.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues