WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Shadow Child Brayden

Old 07-03-2013, 02:40 PM
DreamiMel (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3
Icon2 Shadow Child Brayden

I made an interactive story on Tumblr called "Shadow Child Brayden" People control a boy named Brayden and help him escape from a Facility. It's right here!
I really hope I get some commands soon.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

As someone who's exploring interactive fiction right now (not the type where you enter commands), you might want to consider Inklewriter, Twine or http://www.crumblyheadgames.co.uk/th...uthoring-tool/.

I've not tried the authoring tool. However, Twine and Inklewriter are both easy to use, with no programming knowledge needed. Personally, I prefer Twine.

The only command I use in that is <<choice "Follow her.">> The choice/displayed text being within the quotation marks. Use it with the Jonah story format, and when you pick a choice, it prevents the others being used. Also, to get the choice to take the reader to the relevant story branch, you create a new passage and as the passage title, enter the text within the quotation marks. You'll then see that it's linked in the flowchart (which is handy, I might add, and you can organise it however you want, very easily).

You can use dropbox to share the webpage/interactive story when you've built it too, via using the public folder and getting the link/sharing.

Of course, you may also want to publish it later in ebook form too, which is easily done by copy and pasting, though you'd probably have to use hyperlinks and bookmarks, in MS Word as an example, to take readers to different plot branches.

Good luck and hope you carry on, as I feel interactive stories have the potential to be rather powerful, depending on the subject matter, if things are done right and such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DavidGil; 07-03-2013 at 04:10 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 04:16 PM
DreamiMel (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Thank you, but that's not the type of interactive fiction I'm going for. It's going to be like what MS Paint Adventures(The author of Homestuck and Problem Sleuth) uses. I'm going to let people type in commands for me to use, then I choose one, draw it out, then post it. There is going to be a plot, and I'll help them steer in the general direction of the plot, but have some fun on the way. I have used programs like Twine before, but I find this option more fun. Letting readers decide the actions, and drawing what would come out of the action, I find it more fun.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 PM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

No problem. Just thought I'd suggest what I did in case you decided against the current route. Hopefully it'll be helpful for someone else then.

Best of luck with the project.

and

Old 07-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Savant (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Is anyone else having Zork flashbacks?

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe