WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

What is your Biggest question on how to be a successful writer?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 AM
brantws (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default What is your Biggest question on how to be a successful writer?

Hi, I have really enjoyed reading over many of the posts here since I joined. There is a lot of great information and inspiration. As I mentioned in my introduction, Iíve been on a research mission to help my wife accomplish her goal of completing her book. In the process, Iíve gathered lots of helpful info from aspiring writers, already published authors, laymen, and publishing companies. That said, Iím compiling this research into a small helpful guide to help others like me.

I want to make sure I donít miss anything, so Iím asking for your help. Can you post or email me your biggest frustration/biggest question that youíve had or currently have about how to become a successful writer? Iíd be glad to send you a free copy for sharing your input if youíre interested. I know weíve had a lot of questions ourselves, but I donít want to miss any common questions others might have.

So again,

What is your biggest frustration/biggest question that youíve had or currently have about how to become a successful writer?

You can post or email it to me at williamscheifler (at) gmail.com

Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

I can't decide if I should go with a three ring binder or a five ring binder. The three ring hole punch is $1.45 cheaper than the five ring but I think the five ring will keep the paper from curling on the edges. Any thoughts?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 AM
brantws (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Hi, I'm more wanting to see what others' questions are in addition to ours, but others are free to post an answer of course.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 AM
writerjohnb (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 13

I'm a bit confused. You're going to write a book and need questions? And you're going to provide the answers based on research you've done? You say your wife is the one writing the book and your profile says you've been writing "up to 1 year." I suggest the title should be "Guide to Becoming a Successful Writer by Someone Who Has Never Had Anything Published."

JohnB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

He also knows nothing about binders and hole punches.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Redlorry

What happens if I move from England with all my files to the USA, we only have two and four hole-punchers here. Subsequenlty how will I file all my existing stuff?

Should I cancel?!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:24 AM
writerjohnb (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 13

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
He also knows nothing about binders and hole punches.
I noticed he ducked the question. However, as an authority on rejections from agents and publishers, I'll take a shot.

Most in the industry don't care if you go with the traditional 5-hole or the more technological 3-hole, but all agree the outside margin should be paperclipped rather than stapled.

JohnB

The Following User Says Thank You to writerjohnb For This Useful Post:
Gaines (02-21-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 09:28 AM
writerjohnb (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 13

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
What happens if I move from England with all my files to the USA, we only have two and four hole-punchers here. Subsequenlty how will I file all my existing stuff?

Should I cancel?!
Oh, major problem. Taking a binder through security always sets off the metal detectors and they'll worry about you taking the binder apart and clipping peoples' noses together. I suggest you use that new e-mail thingy, which fits easily into the smallest containers.

JohnB

Old 02-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post

Should I cancel?!

Seriously, what the hell is going on over there? Every civilized nation on earth has three and five ring binders and hole punchers. I suggest you follow the advice writerjonhb offered. Either that or find a Wal Mart. They have everything.

BTW while you are in there pick me up a box of paper clips. Assorted sizes please.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 PM
brantws (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Wow, you guys are cruel to a new member, huh? Is that simply hazing? Let me clarify my intentions.

I dove into research in the writing field on behalf of my wife, who is writing her first book. I also enjoy writing, thus I have been writing for 'less than 1 yr' as noted on my profile but am helping my wife publish first. I sought out published authors, agents, and other experts around the industry to answer our questions with correct (or at least proven) answers. I thought, why don't I compile our findings as I'm sure it would help others, too? Before I complete it, I wanted to ensure it has the scope it should. Hence, I thought I would ask what questions others have or have had, also. The purpose for requesting posts was not for me to answer the questions here as an expert, as I'm not. I wished to include them in the research I have done once asking my contacts their experience on the issues, if they were in fact questions we didn't ourselves have. That's all.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Redlorry

Playful, not cruel.

You've posted this question in the help section, but that's not really what you're looking for. Perhaps you might get a better response in the cafe, and do mention why you're asking.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Ignore the peasants, brantws. They're jealous.

I'm sure you'll become the ultimate resource, the oracle, the go-to guy we've all been waiting for for so long.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 AM
writerjohnb (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 13

Seriously, brant, have you tried googling "Book on how to get published?" If they all fell off the bookshelves at once, a person would be crushed.

If I was going to take a trip to Zanzibar, and wanted to learn about it beforehand, I'd want to read something by a travel writer who'd been there, not one who had learned about it by asking others who'd been there.

The other problem, if you're getting answers on forums, they're suspect. Most of the folks on writers sites have never been to Zanzibar, either.

Take care,

JohnB

Old 02-22-2011, 05:52 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by writerjohnb View Post
if you're getting answers on forums, they're suspect. Most of the folks on writers sites have never been to Zanzibar, either.
This.

Or Timbuktu.

Nothing to say about the op itself because it makes me suspicious and I've seen the exact same question posted by this guy on another forum, word for word.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 PM
brantws (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Thanks for the (sarcasm, cynicism, jesting) tips. Maybe it would be a better post in the lounge area, I'll try that. Still learning the lay of the land. Nice to formally meet you all...a lively group. See you around here.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

would someone get me some paper clips!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:28 AM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 85

My biggest question is: where do I send my bribe?

|
|

Short+Sweet Theatre needs good writers to become
Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Deana (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 4

LOL!! I'm sorry. I just got tears in my eyes when I read this.

At first, I just didn't understand. What did three ring binder or a five ring binder had to do with the question? And then there was the England/USA comment and cancelling something, and the traditional 5-hole or the more technological 3-hole comment and I was COMPLETELY LOST.

I then found the light with writerjohnb's comment on googling "Book on how to get published?" and the trip to Zanzibar. And It All Became Very Clear.

TA-DAH!

These are experience writers who've heard things like this a million times. This is the nice way of saying "If you don't stop playing with that, you'll go blind" type of scenerio. Adults all know you won't go blind, but you just don't want to go through the "entire" conversation of the "why" this just isn't acceptable in society, because the kid wouldn't understand anyway. But he'll understand going blind.

This is also knowing the WARNING sign that an individual is displaying ALL the signs of not getting what they need accomplished in the first place.

So it's best to answer with humor and nonsense, just like in Alice and Wonderland.

"Where shall I begin, please your Majesty? - The White Rabbit
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop." -The King of Hearts

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where ó" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat

Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 PM
writerjohnb (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 13

Thank you, Deana.

I've been to Zanzibar several times, but still haven't come away with the big-game trophy. But you can't tell some people the truth. I've had TWO new writers actually threaten me with DEATH. I gave them my address and told them to come on ahead, all us country peoples gots plenty guns.

The problem is that we've got a generation coming up who were given trophies for last place. Mommy always told them everything they did was wonderful and believed them when they said the teacher picked on them. And then a mean old curmudgeon like me bursts their bubble. And I'm proud of my services to the writing community.

Actually I had seen this post on other forums, also, and had given him a more polite response first.

JohnB

Last edited by writerjohnb; 02-23-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Old 02-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Secret (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via MSN to Secret Send a message via Skype™ to Secret

Do I have the guts to do what must be done?
I hate killing off characters.

Or how about:
To write or to type?
Typing is more convenient, easier to back up. But writing sucks me in. And no, I will not write first and type later. I just won't.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues