WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

let's talk

Old 08-05-2018, 03:18 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 920

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Not me. Iím beyond scaring. In fact, Iím not scared of anything. My wife says thatís a fault, but sheís glad I have it sometimes.
LOL it does depend on what scaring means right>??>

it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 08-05-2018, 11:51 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Originally Posted by spshane View Post
Pretty sure I'd scare the shit out of most of you. Retired, so I'm at that place in life where I've lost the ability to dress things up. I don't really try to be a dick, but I arrive at the affect effortlessly. It's mostly that I've quit giving a shit.
Someone who actually doesn't give a shit wouldn't go around blatantly advertising that fact and bragging about it. We would see it in their actions alone.

But that kind of behavior indicates that you deeply care about what others think of you; whereas, ironically, your proposed attitude is a smokescreen to convincing yourself that don't give a shit, when really you do.

Anyway, I see through your efforts to establish yourself as the "cool old man" on the forum. And it's a dismal failure.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:41 AM
anna (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 136

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
Someone who actually doesn't give a shit wouldn't go around blatantly advertising that fact and bragging about it. We would see it in their actions alone.
unless of course ... spshane is looking at it from the perspective of meeting up with others (OP) and he cares deeply that his lack of ability or desire to dress things up for them could be perceived as a personal affront but which really it isnít ...

the not giving a shit belongs to his lack of ability or desire to dress things up

these older dudes are incredibly cool, interesting, if you are prepared to listen and learn

Old 08-06-2018, 01:50 AM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Originally Posted by anna View Post
unless of course ... spshane is looking at it from the perspective of meeting up with others (OP) and he cares deeply that his lack of ability or desire to dress things up for them could be perceived as a personal affront but which really it isnít ...
Well, if that's the case, you've proved my point.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:04 AM
anna (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 136

Well, if that's the case, you've proved my point.
which is more important - your point of view or what others think of your point of view

x
Old 08-06-2018, 02:59 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

But that kind of behavior indicates that you deeply care about what others think of you; whereas, ironically, your proposed attitude is a smokescreen to convincing yourself that don't give a shit, when really you do.

Anyway, I see through your efforts to establish yourself as the "cool old man" on the forum. And it's a dismal failure.
That might be the worst online psychological evaluation I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

All kinds of people don't give a shit or suffer fools and they're happy to tell you so. And there's a distinct possibility spshane is employing a little hyperbole for effect. This is a writing site after all...

Last edited by E. Zamora; 08-06-2018 at 03:37 AM..
Old 08-06-2018, 03:07 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

I suppose there's always the possibility that what you're saying is true to some degree, but unless you know for sure, it's beyond ridiculous to say so like it's a fact. We could all play forum psychologist and get something right. You know what they say about a broken clock.

And since, you're an expert, I'm sure you know what projection is...

Last edited by E. Zamora; 08-06-2018 at 04:05 AM..
Old 08-06-2018, 08:52 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

One last preemptive comment:

Why would you be compelled to call out spshane, who's a benign and and entertaining presence here on the forum unless YOU had something to prove to everyone?

Talk about irony.

I'm sure any of us who are reasonably astute could do some kind of half-assed psychoanalysis to explain it...
Old 08-06-2018, 09:16 AM
JesseK1213 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 24

I'd like to meet Brian. Seems like a nice enough fella, and I can tell by his posts that we have a similar personality. Also, I'd probably pitch him on a website for his plumbing company.

I'd like to have a beer on ten with daes and howl at the moon.

I'd like to meet Konan and Cityboy, but only if it's at the same time and in the same room - probably 11th grade study hall. I'm convinced they're the same person. Don't ask me why.

Oh, and I'd jam with Myers.
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseK1213 For This Useful Post:
E. Zamora (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 10:05 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

Originally Posted by JesseK1213 View Post

I'd like to meet Konan and Cityboy, but only if it's at the same time and in the same room - probably 11th grade study hall. I'm convinced they're the same person. Don't ask me why.
Hah. More like two sides of the same coin.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:15 AM
JesseK1213 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 24

No way. They don't have two sense to rub together <----- see what I did there?
Old 08-06-2018, 12:34 PM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

Hah. Let me think of another cliche. How about two peas in a pod?

Last edited by E. Zamora; 08-06-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Old 08-06-2018, 04:05 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,196

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post

Two spermatozoa in a nut sack (where is Proddy when the fun is happening... I feel like he could think of a good one).
Old 08-06-2018, 05:05 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,196

I'd like to meet Brian. Seems like a nice enough fella, and I can tell by his posts that we have a similar personality.

Hmm... dunno...

Do you tell jokes at home you know are super funny only to get eye rolls from your wife and kids?
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
E. Zamora (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 05:19 PM
JesseK1213 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 24

Nah. They’re imaginary, so they pretty much have to laugh at whatever I tell them to.

If you can’t find the real thing, I highly recommend the imaginary route. You save a fortune on dinners.
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseK1213 For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 05:42 PM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

Hmm... dunno...

Do you tell jokes at home you know are super funny only to get eye rolls from your wife and kids?
A synopsis of my life.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:51 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,196

Nah. Theyíre imaginary, so they pretty much have to laugh at whatever I tell them to.

If you canít find the real thing, I highly recommend the imaginary route. You save a fortune on dinners.

I thought about trading them in; life would be so much easier. But there are so many things old girl is good at that Iím not (no, not blow-jobs, you perv) Things Iíve come to need despite my better judgement (which is suspect, always). And well, she loves and protects the kids so thatís a no-go from the start. The fact that they donít understand how funny I am perplexed me, but I can manage that. Iím used to being confused about a large part of my life.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:52 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,196

A synopsis of my life.

Okay, we can be friends.
E. Zamora (08-06-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 01:17 AM
Prodigalson (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 495

Two spermatozoa in a nut sack (where is Proddy when the fun is happening... I feel like he could think of a good one).
Sorry to jump in so late...I'd say like the poles on a magnet, but that's apparently too tame for this crowd, so two kernels in a turd should "doo" nicely.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:36 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,065

at which point the just reiterated that meeting the others here would just spoil it for him, saying "...I'm very nervous around humans, they're kind of big and clumsy see...", in fact, the goblin wondered that if in meeting anyone once one could really gleam their true nature now, smiling "...nope, me I judge someone if at all by their fluidity of pen coupled with their quickness of mind, something that takes quite a while to convince me of their readability, their views, their morals, in short their mindset as laid out by their posts here..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 08-08-2018 at 10:41 AM..
Old 08-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTka_QW1FL0

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:12 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,196

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
at which point the just reiterated that meeting the others here would just spoil it for him, saying "...I'm very nervous around humans, they're kind of big and clumsy see...", in fact, the goblin wondered that if in meeting anyone once one could really gleam their true nature now, smiling "...nope, me I judge someone if at all by their fluidity of pen coupled with their quickness of mind, something that takes quite a while to convince me of their readability, their views, their morals, in short their mindset as laid out by their posts here..."

As one, daily, in the world of people, I think you miss much. There is no comparison to a face to face human. We have evolved for it. It is in every cell in our body to make contact.

Iím afraid a lot of this generation will come up wantingóstuck on their computers, hidden away in rooms and basements, sniggering at their clever on-line comments.
fleamailman (08-09-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 08:27 PM
JesseK1213 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 24

Iím afraid a lot of this generation will come up wantingóstuck on their computers, hidden away in rooms and basements, sniggering at their clever on-line comments.
Ditto.

Oh, shit.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:19 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,065

double post

Last edited by fleamailman; 08-09-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Old 08-09-2018, 11:28 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,065

As one, daily, in the world of people, I think you miss much. There is no comparison to a face to face human. We have evolved for it. It is in every cell in our body to make contact. Iím afraid a lot of this generation will come up wantingóstuck on their computers, hidden away in rooms and basements, sniggering at their clever on-line comments.

"...maybe that's true but then again there are the elderly and the handicapped, and so may others disadvantaged simply be their circumstances, just their externals in other words, so much so that I actually thank the internet for being this virtual reality between us still..." observed the goblin aware that one's reality was what it made of one whereas one's virtual reality was what one made of it, smiling "...maybe you're right though, where perhaps our role in that case then is not so much teaching others how to write works here, but more imaginatively it's our teaching them how to become themselves here through their writings...", where either way all that was ever here were just so many words a screen

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe