WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section

Research Section When Googling isn't enough... Everyone's an expert in something. Post your research questions here to take advantage of our expertise!

Writing books!

Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 PM
St. dacker (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Writing books!

I have been trying for the last two months to find good writing books. I just recently got Fiction Writer's Workshop, I want to get books that will help improve my editing skills as well as provide me with exercises to do.
I'm having a hard time with this because there are so many out there and so many reviews, if someone could help I would be much obliged!

Thank you.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:29 AM
! Andy

Elements of Style, by Strunk & White, is a condensed bible for your inner editor. I recommend this to everyone.

The Chicago Manual of Style is probably the most useful and thorough book on grammar and punctuation you could own. It is definitely the most relevant as far as the publishing industry goes.

If it has a downside, it is that it is too thorough; there's way more information in here than the average writer will need. Pretty expensive, too.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 AM
St. dacker (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Thank you. After all my studying I had never seen those books! I will look these books up, the good thing is I know a few places where I can get these books used either free or for a VERY low price. Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:09 AM
! Andy

If you can't afford Chicago, this might help. Bookmark it or something.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Redlorry

I can vouch for the Elements of Style, as recommended to me by Andy

And he can, hopefully, vouch for me that it made a significant improvement in my writing - although I still slip occasionally.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Secret (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via MSN to Secret Send a message via Skype™ to Secret

The best way to improve your editing skills is to start from the basics. It may sound insane or insulting, but go buy so basic grade level grammar workbooks. Or you can get EasyWriter: A Pocket Reference. It's a great help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 AM
St. dacker (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Secret View Post
The best way to improve your editing skills is to start from the basics. It may sound insane or insulting, but go buy so basic grade level grammar workbooks. Or you can get EasyWriter: A Pocket Reference. It's a great help.
I actually am doing that, I am ashamed to say I neglected my work when I was in school and am now paying for it. I have such poor editing skills and I want to improve them.

Also thank you Redlorry for giving your input, I wanted to know if it helped a lot.

Thank you Andy, what edition are you referring to? I'm thinking the 16th?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by St. dacker View Post
I actually am doing that, I am ashamed to say I neglected my work when I was in school and am now paying for it. I have such poor editing skills and I want to improve them.

Also thank you Redlorry for giving your input, I wanted to know if it helped a lot.
I paid attention, I got good grades for creative writing, but I have a blind spot on some punctuation. I struggle a lot. When I read reference books I get tied up in jargon. The Elements of Style is brilliant and easy to digest.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:39 AM
St. dacker (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Yeah, that is why I am ashamed, I was a bad noodle......
Old 01-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Secret (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via MSN to Secret Send a message via Skype™ to Secret

Originally Posted by St. dacker View Post
Same here. By time I started to pay attention, I was a senior in high school. When I went to college and took my English classes, we no longer went over grammar and all that. It was write the assignments and turn them in. No structure reviews for me. So here I am at my age and I can barely form grammatically correct sentences. Lets not even start on my spelling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden

The Writers And Artists Yearbook (currently 2011) is great on all aspects of writing, even down to the comprehensive list of publishers (both abroad and in your country). It really helps.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
I can vouch for the Elements of Style, as recommended to me by Andy

And he can, hopefully, vouch for me that it made a significant improvement in my writing - although I still slip occasionally.

Owning it and actually reading it are two different things. IMHO. Hah!
Old 01-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
Owning it and actually reading it are two different things. IMHO. Hah!
Laughing so hard at that my sides are splitting... not!

And I can also voch for Writer's and Artist's I got the 2010 version. Loaded with useful stuff.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section