WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

The Trick to Shut Up Boring People Who Talk Too Much

Old 11-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Grace Gabriel (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,072

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Oh, thank goodness Shelly, the champion of the oppressed, came along to defend the poor helpless, boring people of the world! He's such a great guy!

Barf.
Interesting how you guys perceive 'bores' as an opposing breed...entirely confident that this label doesn't apply to you.

Like it or not, we all have people in our lives who are smiling and nodding to our faces whilst being disengaged with what we're saying.

@ Myers: It sickens me the way you bait Cityboy. He was engaged in a pleasant enough discussion before you jumped on your keyboard with the intention of putting him down and shoving him against the ropes to amuse yourself.

You have it all Myers - kids, wife, career - a busy household and social life. You don't NEED to be here to have a conversation just to break the silence within your own four walls.

How can you derive any pleasure from knowing a person has had to log off because of you?

All the esteem I hold you in just evaporates when I see this side to your nature.

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 11-19-2017 at 07:35 PM..
Old 11-19-2017, 08:11 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 870

Iím not sure Iíve ever met a boring person. I know people who tell the same stories over and over again. When this happens Iím fascinated by what makes them do so. Drunk people aside (itís obvious why they do), I think, what compels this person to do this? Is it a small pool of events that gives them their feelings of worth in life? Are they sad? Dumb? Do they lack self confidence, and if so, why?

Few people are ever able to maintain a Ďhowís the weatherí type conversation with me because Iím just not wired that way. My wife says I sometimes make people uncomfortable by getting too personal too quickly. I know what she means, but I canít really see an objective downside. Itís not rational to me, or it doesnít compute.

I just like people. Even people I donít like much, still are fascinating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-19-2017, 10:22 PM
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 364

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post

@ Myers: It sickens me the way you bait Cityboy. He was engaged in a pleasant enough discussion before you jumped on your keyboard with the intention of putting him down and shoving him against the ropes to amuse yourself.
Nonsense. There was nothing pleasant about it. A little selective reading going on, perhaps.

Like I said, as he usually does, Shelly read all kinds of stuff into Konan's piece so he could get up on his soapbox. It's ALL there.

Do you think Shelly should quit chiming in on posts just to fuck with people so he can come off like the good guy? Because I think it's pretty annoying.

Hard to believe you're falling for his routine.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:10 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 364

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I’m not sure I’ve ever met a boring person.
It's out there and it's widely discussed and acknowledged -- people who don't listen, because they're thinking about what they're going to say next.

The result is a conversation that is mostly one-sided. It's not about small talk that you can get past or expand on. If you can always turn these conversations into something you find interesting, congratulations to you.

I really like people too. I look forward to social situations and go out of my way to meet people. There's always the possibility that you will meet someone who is interesting or you might even make a new friend -- so I tend to make the effort and give people the benefit of the doubt, because of course, not everyone is good at conversation with people they don't know.

And as much as I love to see what makes people tick, at some point, it's just not worth trying to further engage someone who only wants to talk about routine topics revolving mostly around themselves, especially if I'm in situation where I can move on and talk to someone else. Life is too short.

Last edited by Myers; 11-19-2017 at 11:12 PM..
Old 11-19-2017, 11:29 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 364

Recent conversation with a neighbor...

Me: Hey, Pete, this is great pulled pork, I was wondering...

Pete: I have a Green Egg. Expensive, but worth it!

Me: Well, there's another brand...

Pete: Oh, you can't beat the Green Egg.

Me: I have a Weber. You can do pulled pork, but you have to...

Pete: Oh, I'd never try to do pulled pork on Weber. You gotta have a Green Egg!

Me: Well, actually, you can use a Weber if...

Pete: Hey, you went to Georgia didn't you? Can you believe that game!

Last edited by Myers; 11-19-2017 at 11:38 PM..
Old 11-19-2017, 11:35 PM
Grace Gabriel (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,072

Nonsense. There was nothing pleasant about it. A little selective reading going on, perhaps.

Like I said, as he usually does, Shelly read all kinds of stuff into Konan's piece so he could get up on his soapbox. It's ALL there.

Do you think Shelly should quit chiming in on posts just to fuck with people so he can come off like the good guy? Because I think it's pretty annoying.

Hard to believe you're falling for his routine.
I'm not falling for your routine Myers.

His posts PRE your interruption made the same valid points that you've now taken up as your own.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:37 PM
Grace Gabriel (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,072

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Occasionally, everybody has to get something off his or her chest; so if you listen to somebody, regardless how boring you believe the person to be, you're giving the person an opportunity to unload. So, essentially, you're doing a service. Honestly, anybody who needs a technique to deal with a person who is irritating is in pitiful shape himself. After all, you do have two feet and a mouth: "See you later, gator" is more than sufficient to make your escape. Your writing is well, but your topic is plain silly. Was it meant to be humorous? If it was then I believe I owe you an apology.

If you search, you'll find hidden beneath all the layers of bullshit the true meaning of life. And that meaning, my friend, is "service to others" -- even when the service is merely providing an ear to a boring person. Otherwise, if you're short on time or if you don't want to listen, just use your feet.
No soap box. Common sense reply........you posted the same yourself.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:50 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 364

Heh. Somewhat similar -- but something about the tone is just a wee bit different.

Feedback ... the technique seems boring. An overhand right would be both more exciting and more efficient.
Honestly, anybody who needs a technique to deal with a person who is irritating is in pitiful shape himself.
How pleasant!

Last edited by Myers; 11-19-2017 at 11:54 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 12:19 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 364

Now, why on earth would anyone want to shut up such a caring and loving individual whose only fault is being boring? Seems kind of cruel, humorless, and bigoted. Don't you think?
I think Konan is overthinking it, but I would never assume that he thinks the people under discussion aren't good people or valuable etc. Why would I? And he's not talking about "shutting people up," just redirecting the conversation.

This is the kind of nonesence Shelly pulls out of thin air for his own gratification.

This is the kind of bullshit I'm talking about.

This is the soapbox.

Last edited by Myers; 11-20-2017 at 12:24 AM..
Old 11-20-2017, 01:38 AM
Grace Gabriel (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,072

After your anecdote about listening to your 91 year old friend, Konan replied:

"Why humor him when its a burden to you" and

"why do you allow it to happen?"

If that's not "talking about shutting people up" I don't know what is.

Your reply to Konan was rightly : "Why not give him the pleasure of telling us a story."

You're no different to me Myers - you and your wife listen because you're fond of him and there are no new stories or life experiences to replace the old ones with. You know he enjoys telling you his tales. You're happy to oblige with a listening ear out of kindness and respect.

City told the SAME anecdote 25 reply boxes before yours - using an old couple as his example.

His point was "Why shut up such a loving and caring individual..."

You are repeating everything City has already said. Different language. Same message.

A proposed strategy to steer, terminate or control a situation to avoid the "burden" of giving somebody your attention is hard to construe as anything but naive, self centred or redundant. These are basic life skills we pick up ourselves if the situation really calls for it.

I must confess that I also, genuinely, read Konan's piece twice over to see if it was supposed to be something humorous. No insult intended Konan - but you presented boring people as an intolerable breed. Truth is, we all bore each other on occasion.

The role of a decent human being, good friend, spouse or pleasant house guest is to make the best of it. Like it or not, you're being handled in the same way at times.

Nobody wrote "Myers, champion of the oppressed" after your sugary old guy anecdote. "What a great guy you are. "Barf".

By the way, if we're going to deliberately use City's old, discarded handle - are we going back to addressing you as JoeMatt? Or calling all the other previously banned members by their more notorious names?

Insisting on calling him Shelley is a lack of respect in itself.

You're out of line and have enough sense to know it Myers.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:17 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 701

I get told to shut up literally ALL the time. I bore people to tears on a regular basis, because a lot people just wanna talk about light hearted innocuous stuff... and I don't do that. Boring people hasn't stopped me so far, even if it's obviously apparent
Old 11-20-2017, 04:55 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 364

That's the edited version. And then of course, he goes into a not very thinly veiled personal attack that he tries to mitigate by making it a question:

Now, why on earth would anyone want to shut up such a caring and loving individual whose only fault is being boring? Seems kind of cruel, humorless, and bigoted. Don't you think?
Again, Konan is not talking about literally telling anyone to shut up -- he's talking about redirecting a conversation.

I don't think for a moment that Konan is cruel, humorless or bigoted. It's a ridiculous assumption. (And no, Cityboy is not just talking about a particular statement or line of thought.) If anyone was truly interested in getting Konan to see something in a different light -- then what good reason would they have to go there?

There is no good reason. That's the point where "common sense" and the "feedback" becomes a condescending lecture. And this is VERY mild compared to where Cityboy goes when he gets the slightest amount of push back.

What the comment does is show his real intent and motivation -- and it taints all his comments. I've known him for years, and that's his M.O.

I could give you plenty of examples -- his absurd guesswork about my parents, my education, background -- you name it. Nothing is off limits if he disagrees with you. And he's done it to all kinds of people. So sorry, I totally recognize the tone and I don't think for a minute that he was trying to make a sincere effort to get Konan to see things his way.

The way you do that is how brianpatrick and I did it -- by relaying a personal experience -- not fabricating some ideal, sweet old couple one of whom also happens "to be a scientist who discovered a vaccine that saved the lives of millions of people living in poverty" -- all so you can ramp up to an insult. That's what is barf inducing -- as opposed to talking about conversations with an actual old man. Really surprised you can't see the difference.

Otherwise, I didn't go out of my way to find fault with Konan's post, even though I disagree with the approach and his choice of words. But I can certainly relate, and gave an example of someone I was stuck with -- who I guarantee wasn't trying to get anything off his chest and hadn't invented a life-saving vaccine. His problem is that he's enamored with the sound of his own voice.

The guy is a blowhard. Those people are out there, and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging it or the concept of making the situation more tolerable if you have to -- or essentially controlling it, as you said.

People who are mainly focused on themselves do not show any consideration to whoever is on the other end of conversation. Saying so doesn't mean we all aren't boring from time to time. And Konan can correct me, but I seriously doubt this was aimed at a "good friend, spouse or pleasant house guest" -- on either end of the equation. I think the point of a piece like this one (despite its flaws) is to think about ways you might be able to relate to it -- not automatically connect it to situations where it doesn't apply.

Force of habit, but otherwise, I do not care. He lost my respect a long time ago.

BTW -- feel free to call me JoeMatt -- it's based on my real name, so no problem.

Last edited by Myers; 11-20-2017 at 08:27 AM..
Old 11-20-2017, 11:11 AM
Konan (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 59

Myers,

First, are you really JoeMatt? I wasn't sure if the first admission was sarcasm or not. I wondered what happened to him/you. I remember reading an amazingly well-written fiction piece of yours years ago.

Second, you mentioned that though you understood the point I was trying to make that my article has its flaws and poor word choices.

Would you tell me what you thought was flawed about it or where the word choices could have been better?

Third, what does M.O. stand for? I've seen it pop up here on several occasions and I'm baffled.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:24 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

("...life is boring, yet state that fact openly to its face and it'll just gang up on you as someone outspoken, so I think one has to go through life learning how to lie discretely, those white lies then, that feigned interest there, or at least how not to betray one's inner thoughts and feelings through one's bored gestures..." ventured the goblin suspecting that everyone had occasions where as if one he was hidden in full view like that, just going through the motions as it were till "whatever it was" was over, to which the goblin then remarked "...I mean does anyone remember their school days here, yes those uninspired teacher's sermons, that all too unimaginative school lunch, those soul crushing london underground commutes, and all manner of sports that one sucked at, all being slavery that was good for one perhaps, yes that was me back then, where at first I managed to lie in my appearance alone, but later I also learned to daydream away behind my all too attentive facade of participation, till finally I realized upon graduating school that it wasn't so much anything in particular that I had learned which tehre, no instead school had simply taught me this ability to "deceive my external" and to daydream away time till it was over, where today too my motto could well be "invisible in dailylife, anonymous on the internet"...", and then those dreaded memories of school flooded back into the goblin's conscience once more, instinctively he straightened up his back and gazed forward pretending either to be "all attentive" or "quite invisible" depending upon whether he had been spotted before snapping out of it at his age)

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-21-2017 at 12:01 AM..
Old 11-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 364

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
Myers,

First, are you really JoeMatt? I wasn't sure if the first admission was sarcasm or not. I wondered what happened to him/you. I remember reading an amazingly well-written fiction piece of yours years ago.

Second, you mentioned that though you understood the point I was trying to make that my article has its flaws and poor word choices.

Would you tell me what you thought was flawed about it or where the word choices could have been better?

Third, what does M.O. stand for? I've seen it pop up here on several occasions and I'm baffled.
Yep -- I'm JoeMatt. I remember having some good back and forth in the Members Only section and your positive feedback on my fiction.

And M.O. -- modus operandi -- or standard or usual method or way of doing things.

Okay -- so yeah -- I do relate to the problem. There are people who are self-centered at least to the extent that they tend to always monopolize a conversation.

These situations don’t come up all that frequently for me, but when they do, it’s usually work related -- and there are other people who we are obligated to socialize with on occasion who are kind of hard to take. Both are situations where it’s not really possible to extricate myself. So I get it.

As I’ve said, the basic premise is sound -- that is, if you are really stuck with someone, then listen carefully and find a kernel of something that could lead to a different conversation -- one that you might both enjoy -- and steer things in that direction. I’ve done it before -- and honestly, if I thought about it more consciously, I’d probably do it more often.

And I know what you mean -- but “shut up” is not a way to get things started. If you’re selling an idea, that’s just too negative. Since we’re on a forum here, I see no reason not to give you the benefit of the doubt -- but as we’ve seen here, it can easily be taken the wrong way.

And I’d actually go easier on the word boring too – and here’s why:

If you want to stop people from boring you, you must realize that everyone has something interesting to say. Everyone has interesting stories they’ve experienced. And the trick is to mine for those things like you’re searching for gold. Then, once you’ve found them, transition the conversation off of the boring stuff and redirect it onto the interesting stuff.
This is a the root of what you’re getting at -- but if you lose the first part, it’s all positive. Again, I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt, but you need to do a better job coming at it from the angle of how it will make the other party feel if you’re showing interest and recognizing they have something to offer -- so you don’t come off as self-centered. Make it about win/win.

And I think you need to try harder to come up with more realistic scenarios too -- the flat earth thing is just too much.

Otherwise, I’m not going to nit-pick it. There’s a foundation of something here that could work, but just go through it carefully and consider your tone and audience, then soften it and make it more positive and relatable.

BTW -- it would be a lot more difficult, but if you really could get the same message across and make it humorous it might even work better -- especially if you include something self-deprecating.

Last edited by Myers; 11-20-2017 at 03:47 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Konan (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 59

This has been most helpful and insightful.

Thank-you Shelly and Joe especially for your guys' input.

The re-write based on your feedback can now be found here:

http://www.keenancullen.com/the-dipl...lking-too-much
Old 11-22-2017, 12:12 PM
Konan (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 59

Oh, how I wish CItyboy would return to the thread. I felt he was just getting started. Such a shame for the drama to end so soon.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:03 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

("...it's time for another thread with a new topic perhaps..." suggested the goblin wondering what Konan's next would be though, where if anything the goblin's mind felt exactly like that unforgettable line that hecule poirot spoke out in the midst of one of his plots "inspector, there are just too many clues at this point", for indeed this was what summed up the middle-east at this point, and yes there was something afoot too, though "what exactly" could well be replaced by "which exactly", so the goblin just smiled back at Konan, asking "...the escalation of war in the gulf isn't something any of us outsiders here can know for sure, it's just something you feel is coming at this point don't you, like when the sky darkens under its own weight, like when the news plays something down as if it were only a case of this coincidence and that coincidence, and yet you feel it all the same, it's just those odd chaotic random occurrences in one's view like too many clues again, and then suddenly what one felt inside one knows for sure, as the war storm hits, well am I wrong I wonder, wish I were wrong though...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-22-2017 at 03:09 PM..
Old 11-24-2017, 07:17 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

After your anecdote about listening to your 91 year old friend, Konan replied:

"Why humor him when its a burden to you" and

"why do you allow it to happen?"

If that's not "talking about shutting people up" I don't know what is.

Your reply to Konan was rightly : "Why not give him the pleasure of telling us a story."

You're no different to me Myers - you and your wife listen because you're fond of him and there are no new stories or life experiences to replace the old ones with. You know he enjoys telling you his tales. You're happy to oblige with a listening ear out of kindness and respect.

City told the SAME anecdote 25 reply boxes before yours - using an old couple as his example.

You are repeating everything City has already said. Different language. Same message.

A proposed strategy to steer, terminate or control a situation to avoid the "burden" of giving somebody your attention is hard to construe as anything but naive, self centred or redundant. These are basic life skills we pick up ourselves if the situation really calls for it.

I must confess that I also, genuinely, read Konan's piece twice over to see if it was supposed to be something humorous. No insult intended Konan - but you presented boring people as an intolerable breed. Truth is, we all bore each other on occasion.

The role of a decent human being, good friend, spouse or pleasant house guest is to make the best of it. Like it or not, you're being handled in the same way at times.

Nobody wrote "Myers, champion of the oppressed" after your sugary old guy anecdote. "What a great guy you are. "Barf".

By the way, if we're going to deliberately use City's old, discarded handle - are we going back to addressing you as JoeMatt? Or calling all the other previously banned members by their more notorious names?

You're out of line and have enough sense to know it Myers.

Grace, you're my kind of gal. You deserve the best -- flowers, chocolate, diamonds. Thanks, sweetie. At least, you can see through the nonsense.

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-24-2017 at 10:41 AM..
Old 11-24-2017, 08:32 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

Oh, how I wish CItyboy would return to the thread. I felt he was just getting started. Such a shame for the drama to end so soon.
I don't understand what you are referring to with drama. First off, you ought to be thanking me because without my initial response to your request for feedback, your thread would probably still have zero replies. The only reason the thread received some traction is because such a forgiving individual decided to thrust himself into it to belittle me. Now, if that's the feedback you desired, then I pity you as much as I pity him. So, the fact remains, by visiting your thread to offer feedback I probably rescued it from obscurity.

And your sarcasm is the thanks I get. Make your next article about "Why Some People Just Aren't Appreciative" (and start with yourself). One other noteworthy mention: Save the "tricks" for your dog. Adults don't like being trained to jump through hoops.

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-24-2017 at 10:48 AM..
Old 11-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

Heh. Somewhat similar -- but something about the tone is just a wee bit different.

How pleasant!
Tone? You need to stretch out on a couch, you really do.

Weren't you a borderline Christian who appeased the site's atheists by mocking Christian saints. Waa happened? You totally converted to atheism. Say, to what group of atheists do you belong? The Forgiving denomination?

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-24-2017 at 12:37 PM..
Old 11-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

@ Myers: It sickens me the way you bait Cityboy.
Grace, thanks. But first off, please never say things like "it sickens me" because what you say really does have an effect on you. So, please keep away from statements like that or any other negative phrases. Matter of health ... trust me, on that one.

Now, the fun part. Myers, JoeMatt or whoever he is wouldn't know how to bait a mouse even if he had a basement filled with cheese. You are giving him far too much credit when it comes to "brains." In reality, he's just a grown, spoiled brat who's a little book smart. Again, trust me on that one too.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:43 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 870
Default The Trick to Shut Up Boring People Who Talk Too Much

Grace, thanks. But first off, please never say things like "it sickens me" because what you say really does have an effect on you. So, please keep away from statements like that or any other negative phrases. Matter of health ... trust me, on that one.

Now, the fun part. Myers, JoeMatt or whoever he is wouldn't know how to bait a mouse even if he had a basement filled with cheese. You are giving him far too much credit when it comes to "brains." In reality, he's just a grown, spoiled brat who's a little book smart. Again, trust me on that one too.

https://youtu.be/D7vB8lnVTiE

The little laugh is priceless.

Sent from my whack-ass dump hole.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Konan (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 59

Thank-you, Cityboy. Thank-you for trying to make this thread all about you instead of the article in the OP.

But if you do check out my blog here, please do come back and share your opinions on my other articles. Some people spend hours on my site reading them, and I'm wondering if you're one of them. It appears you're my first critic or hater. And I'm deeply interested in your reactions to my work.

So please check them out.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:08 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

I think Konan is overthinking it, but I would never assume that he thinks the people under discussion aren't good people or valuable etc. Why would I? And he's not talking about "shutting people up," just redirecting the conversation.

This is the kind of nonesence Shelly pulls out of thin air for his own gratification.

This is the kind of bullshit I'm talking about.

This is the soapbox.
Here you dumb box of nails (I'll stoop down to your level for a moment with the name-calling). Why would you continue reading this nonsense:

The Diplomatic Way of Handling People Who Bore You by Talking Too Much

Have you ever found yourself talking to someone who rambled on endlessly about themselves, their opinions, or even their complaints Ė basically about things you had zero interest in hearing about?

Everybody thinks highly of himself/herself. At times, some get carried away.

Gets pretty boring the longer you have to listen to them, doesnít it?

Who says you have to listen to it?

But has it ever occurred to you that you never have to listen to people who bore you with their endless rambling?

Yep. Just look down at your feet.

You know in your heart, you didn't give a shit about Konan's post. All you wanted to do was engage me with your hostility. You wanted to put me down in front of some other clowns around here. You're the worse kind of hypocrite. You can't even be honest with yourself.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

Thank-you, Cityboy. Thank-you for trying to make this thread all about you instead of the article in the OP.

But if you do check out my blog here, please do come back and share your opinions on my other articles. Some people spend hours on my site reading them, and I'm wondering if you're one of them. It appears you're my first critic or hater. And I'm deeply interested in your reactions to my work.

So please check them out.

Making it about me? That's about as much of a lie as calling me a "hater" is. You asked for feedback. I told you that after the first three lines, I stopped reading. It sounded like you were addressing a kindergarten audience with your foolish techniques. I already explained twice -- You have two feet and a mouth, no? So, move along. No need to publish guidelines for people whom you believe are boring. I would only read that silly stuff if I got paid a hefty price.

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-24-2017 at 05:18 PM..
Old 11-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Konan (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 59

I already explained twice -- You have two feet and a mouth, no? So, move along. No need to publish guidelines for people whom you believe are boring. I would only read that silly stuff if I got paid a hefty price.
I'm guessing you have few if any friends, Shelly.

You're telling me that when a person is hanging out in a group, like out for dinner or something, and someone starts talking about boring stuff, they should just get up and leave the get-together, go home and sit by themselves?

In these types of situations where you want to spend time with people, doesn't it become necessary to steer the conversation onto topics that are interesting for everyone involved, especially when someone starts rambling on about boring stuff you have no interest in?

By the way, how much would you charge to read each article?

Last edited by Konan; 11-24-2017 at 03:45 PM..
Old 11-24-2017, 05:10 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

You're a terrible guesser. I'd never take you to the racetrack with me. First of all, if I'm sitting at a dinner table with somebody shooting off his mouth, I wouldn't care. As long as there is food and drink on the table, I'm more than happy -- let everybody babble. No sweat.

You coaxed me into returning to the thread. So, I return to tell you what I believe about your topic -- my opinion. You label me a hater for doing so. But, by using your own standards to judge others, you would fit into the hater category yourself. Wasn't your piece based upon your own beliefs about boring people? Therefore, you are a hater just as I am.

I once read a short story about a soldier who was locked away in solitude in a dank dungeon. The soldier was so lonely that his heart leapt for joy when he spotted a spider walking along the dirt floor. At least, now he had company and something to talk to. Boring people don't bother me. Like everyone else, they have the potential to be a blessing.

As far as I can see, you write exceptionally well.

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-24-2017 at 05:18 PM..
Old 11-24-2017, 05:15 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 870

We all could learn something from the ants.

Sent from my whack-ass dump hole.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

I'm guessing you have few if any friends, Shelly.

You're telling me that when a person is hanging out in a group, like out for dinner or something, and someone starts talking about boring stuff, they should just get up and leave the get-together, go home and sit by themselves?

In these types of situations where you want to spend time with people, doesn't it become necessary to steer the conversation onto topics that are interesting for everyone involved, especially when someone starts rambling on about boring stuff you have no interest in?

By the way, how much would you charge to read each article?
I wouldn't charge. Just joshing. Reading is about enjoying and learning. Who said anything about going home to sit by yourself? If a gal ditches you, do you go home to cry? No, you return to the club to pick up another one. Maybe, the new one will stick around longer.

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-24-2017 at 05:23 PM..

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing