WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Not a single book sold..your thoughts

Old 10-25-2015, 10:47 PM
Agatha Christie (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 64

no they don't take a big slice. I'ts the priting cost for print on demand which may be slightly higher. Nevertheless, the UK selling price for my books is still normal. There are thousands of books selling online for prices my books are at, but I'm not sure how this translates into a dollar price or any other price overseas. It maybe that costs all round are much lower in the USA for example.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:44 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

5.99 British pounds = 9.1809 US dollars

6.99 British pounds = 10.7136 US dollars

Ebooks would be cheaper. Do you find ebooks objectionable, or do you simply not know much about them?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:19 AM
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 64

Poirot, it seems that dollar price is quite high in the USA for an online book purchase. But there must be thousands of other UK books selling at similar prices. Production costs overseas must be considerably cheaper.
There would be considerable reformatting for kindle/ebook publication, a whole lot more technical problems which I don't fancy attempting. Sometimes there are incompatability problems because I use open source programmes and not Word. I could get this done for me, of course, but that would cost more money. Also, at the moment, all admin is handled by my publisher who is very helpful. It is a straightfoward process. They produce high quality books and offer me good discounts because of all the books I publish. I have no wish to get involved with Amazon from an admin point of view. Life would get too complicated. Unfortunately, my publisher doesn't offer ebooks of any kind at present.
Unfortunately, passing tasks to someone else always comes at a financial price.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:45 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

I sell a 408-page A5 paperback for £7.92 and nobody has ever told me the price was too high.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:23 AM
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 64

wrc. are you able to give me your website address so I can see an example of a good selling website, or are you able to give me a link to one you recommend as a good example where books sell?
Old 10-26-2015, 05:05 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

I think a known author can get away with those kind of prices, but not an unknown. Not nowadays. There's currently a trend where people are generally unwillng to pay much for written material. Again, had you been established already, that might be different.

Improving the website, which you seem willing to do, may help. Book signings in bookstores, so folks can buy immediately, may help. Having a sale on your books may help. People love sales.

If you decide to look into a different publisher, let me know.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:17 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 126

I think prices may be an issue, its showing UK prices at £6.99 plus £2.99 postage - that's £10 a book and more than I'd risk on an unknown self published author. That's more than I'd pay for a best-seller from a household name even. why not offer at least one book as a free download?

beyond that what are you doing to promote your books?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

I tried to find an excerpt of your book, Loyal Heart, to read. All I found were blurbs. In addition, there's a better known book with a similar title, The Loyal Heart. And since there's no direct link to Amazon from your site, you could be losing potential customers through confusion.

From your site :
LOYAL HEART (quirky love story/ humour) Supermarket delivery man, Roger Farley, is indecisive to the point of exasperation. Wife, Jen, fed up with making all the decisions in twenty years of marriage, insists on a trial separation. Living without her support leaves him vulnerable, but he has strategies, including coins and folded pieces of paper to help him make decisions. Life without Jen is not easy but when he loses his precious poetry book, containing all his creative efforts, he is devastated. Unfortunately, the lost poetry book lands him in even more trouble. He dreams of winning Jen back, but how?
From Amazon :
Supermarket deliveryman, Roger Farley. is indecisive to the point of exasperation. Wife, Jen, fed up after twenty years of marriage, insists on a trial separation. How will he win her back and will he overcome his problem? "Read more. Go to www.novelsforyou.wix.com/novelsforyou"
Honestly, the "more" your site provides isn't worth having a potential customer leave Amazon. Put the more on Amazon and include a sneak peak of the actual book.

The way the plot is defined in the blurb it seems a little weak. You might want to rewrite the synopsis as well.

Queries :
Where can I preview the book?
Why aren't you getting more help and advice from your publisher?

Last edited by poirot; 10-26-2015 at 09:54 PM..
Old 10-28-2015, 12:41 AM
pswgear (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 121
Send a message via Skype™ to pswgear

From reviewing your website and reading through your responses here, I think you have three issues:
-cover design
-unwillingness to produce ebooks
-website design

First and foremost, I like your writing. Everything you've produced on this website has been enjoyable both from in content and style. There's no reason for you not to sell books. However, you must catch a reader's eye and make it easy for them to buy the book. From my point of view you're not doing this.

1. Covers - I find them quite amateurish. Is this publisher producing these for you? If so, I would cry havoc--these are simply not professional covers. (Though to be fair, I do like HotchPotch. Although the resolution on the thumbnail is not good at all.)

2. Everything is ebooks right now, so much so that my personal opinion is that ebooks are the gateway to traditional in-print books. Formatting is simple (truly, it is simple--I'm hoping to put some tutorials up regarding formatting and I can be sure to get one to you if you're interested) and putting ebooks up on Goodreads, Amazon, etc. are free and quite simple. You are doing yourself a massive disservice by not offering your writing as ebooks.

3. I think most folks have commented about the website--it's not really designed well and you should definitely have an easier flow of links getting people to Amazon or wherever else where they can buy your books. Getting folks to buy from you is all about making it as attractive and simple as possible.

It's great that you're taking a moment to think about what is and isn't working. I'm doing the same after taking a year off working to finish a novel and work on a few short stories. Some things have worked and some haven't. It's best to be as objective as possible and not make your decisions based on what you feel should have happened.

Best of luck!
Old 10-28-2015, 12:51 AM
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 64

pswgear, thanks a lot for taking the trouble to look through my website and comment. I take on board what you say about ebooks but the thing that really puzzles me is why you think the website is badly designed. It is an 'authors' template. It shows a menu at the top of the page and there is clealry one labelled books.Right at the top of the page is a link to previewing and buying, and synopses are given on the page for all my books. Why is this so badly designed....this is beyond me. I have give instructions for accessing via Amazon but, to be honest, in the UK at least, Amazon charges more for my books. Perhaps it is cheaper for overseas readers to go through Amazon. I am not sure about this.
Can you refer me to a book website which you think is 'great' and easy to use so I can compare?
thanks.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:36 AM
pswgear (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 121

I think you're focusing way too much on the website. It's needed, certainly because it gives you a flag to wave and a way to collect all your stuff in one place.

Your priority, in my opinion, should be to make your books available for download as ebooks via the numerous outlets. Your website can evolve as it generates more traffic. Key takeaway from the evolution of the internet--nothing stays the same.

Anyway, to your question here are three author's websites I like: Brian Sanderson, Hugh Howey, and Mira Grant.
The Following User Says Thank You to pswgear For This Useful Post:
Agatha Christie (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 07:46 AM
pswgear (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 121

This is a fabulous and timely post by Hugh: here
Agatha Christie (10-28-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 10:47 AM
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 64

wyf. sorry I didn't acknowledge your comment, must have missed it.
Re. price, postage is something beyond my control. I have to pay postage/delivery costs on all sorts of items I order online. The actual price of my books is not high for a printed version. I know you can go into ASDA and get a well known author for less but I have looked at the quality of the paper and printing. Frequently they are not very good quality but, as a self-publisher, producing print on demand books, I cannot compete with mainstream publishers producing thousands of books for distribution in high street supermarkets. Even so, there are thousands of books selling on my publisher's site for the same price as mine.
I go onto various websites, promoting my website and books in one way or another. When I use photos in my publicity I get 'likes' and interest, but this does not seem to bring people to my website. I write poems and put them up on my blog for peopleto read. I find I get very poor response from going on facebook. I read out my work at open-mic nights. It's always well receiverd but no one goes on my website as a result. When people read my books I get good feedback but this never results in recommendation and sales.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:49 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

Hi Agatha.

My site's not up yet. It's my second site. The first one was screenwriting.help.com Doing that site is when I learned how to generate traffic and get paid. My sales BG begin as a teenager doing door to door sales, and continued on throughout my life.

Try an experiment for me. Go to Ingram, Lulu and Amazon. All three sell ebooks and print books. Pick a book, any book, and go through the steps to buy it. You'll see how easy it is to buy, and how few clicks needed to do it. You need to make your site yours, but follow the design of their sites and you'll sell books.

Some further suggestions:

Go to smashwords and learn how to sell to the mobile markets.
Got to PayPal and learn how to collect your money and how they can help you make money.
Go to Tradebit because they not only will handle the purchases, but will handle delivery of your books.
Do a search for "conforming print book to ebook formats".
Do a search for Website Designers because you need one.

And while you're doing all that, don't forget that you're a writer so write something.

Pesonally, I think you're talking this problem to death. Maybe it's time to swallow hard and do something. ...just my opinion.

wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrc For This Useful Post:
Agatha Christie (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 64

Hi WRC. What is difficult about ordering my books? I just don't get it. There is a books page on my website and a direct link to my publisher/distributor. I also tell visitors that my books are available on Amazon, if that's what readers prefer and I tell them to search my author name for quick results.

I don't give a direct link to Amazon because they charge readers more for my books and that is out of my hands.

My publisher/distributor sells thousands of books through their site, which is entirely professional just like Amazon. I give readers a synopsis for each book on my books page, then they can click through to my publisher and preview any of my books before buying. The buying process itself is out of my hands but it is a professional process. What part of this procedure is unprofessional or, for that matter, unnecessary?

Somebody please point out to me which of the above stages should be improved or eliminated on my website. Thanks.

Last edited by Agatha Christie; 11-02-2015 at 09:35 PM..
Old 11-02-2015, 10:14 PM
pswgear (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 121

You've asked a lot of questions and received a lot of answers/opinions. You seem to be fighting most of those answers/opinions, which doesn't encourage anyone to keep commenting or engaging.

You've received a lot of recommendations. Play around with them. Or don't.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 64

Hi pswgear. There's been some great advice. But the most immediate thing I can put right is my website. It's no good people saying it's difficult to order my books, unless I understand why? At this moment in time I have no idea what needs changing to make ordering easier. I have no idea what stage is unnecessary or too difficult.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:26 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

Did you do your own design? I've mentioned this to you a number of times, but there are experts out there who can design a money making making website. You can do the same on your own if you were to reject your website as the only way, and copy successful sites.

Nothing personal, but this is my last post to this thread. Good luck to you.

wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrc For This Useful Post:
Agatha Christie (11-05-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 04:19 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 415

I would suggest that you set it up so that when the viewer clicks on the book image it takes them to the ordering site, for that particular book as opposed to all of them. Or, it takes them to a page where they can preview the first chapter and then a link at the bottom of the excerpt takes them to the order site.

And actually they are cheaper on Amazon, and most people prefer Amazon since they are already a member.

Courtesy of BP
The Following User Says Thank You to daes13 For This Useful Post:
Agatha Christie (11-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 01:35 AM
Savoretti (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

I would be inclined to listen to Daes, I think the pricing of your stories is almost as important as the stories themselves.

Maybe start a bit more on the cheap side, once people are grabbing them because they're cheap they'll (hopefully) notice they're good and be willing to buy more, even for a slightly higher price.

It won't make great revenue immediately but nothing worth having comes quickly.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:02 AM
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 64

thanks for message. I have no control over Amazon price. When I last looked they were more expensive on Amazon that through my website. There is also a minimum cost I can sell them at through my website because of the cost of printing and admin costs.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:54 AM
pswgear (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 121

If your publisher doesn't offer ebooks you should end your relationship with your publisher. I don't think you're going to get anywhere in today's publishing world without having any kind of ebook offering.
Agatha Christie (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:36 AM
jimr (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 47

Agatha Christie, let me express my sympathy for you in what must be a frustrating circumstance. You sound like you have the drive and proper attitude to push through and reach a satisfying conclusion to this mystery. Chin up.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimr For This Useful Post:
Agatha Christie (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 11:16 PM
Savoretti (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by Agatha Christie View Post
thanks for message. I have no control over Amazon price. When I last looked they were more expensive on Amazon that through my website. There is also a minimum cost I can sell them at through my website because of the cost of printing and admin costs.
That's a real shame, I'm not too well-versed in actually selling my work since I don't actually have any work to sell but I'm sure there's something you can do, just don't give up on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Savoretti For This Useful Post:
Agatha Christie (12-06-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 02:20 PM
jimr (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 47

The first time I replied I could not access your website, now I have.
The covers seem fine, and half of them look great.

The blurbs are adequate, but I think you can do better,e.g., "Manipulative Josi Devlin is enraged by her boss's sexist behavior"

Right away you've distanced me from the heroine with the word manipulative.

Quirky poetry? I'm automatically turned off by any mention of poetry.

When last I was paid in pounds they were 1.5 usd which sets your prices as high as Nora Roberts in my local store. Consider that.

I admire your drive and what you've accomplished here is great. I have no doubt you will succeed.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimr For This Useful Post:
Agatha Christie (12-07-2015)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe