WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

quick rejection

Old 11-07-2015, 12:05 PM
jimr (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 47
Default quick rejection

Received a rejection from libertarian Reason magazine in 1 hour yesterday, a record for me I believe. They provided no editorial input, but I realized my article was not supportive enough of one of their 'sacred cows': legalized pot; the article was also unfocused, and not quite within their scope of interest neither. I'm new at nonfiction, and I'm surprised at how easy it was for me to see the problems with my submission (assuming I'm correct) whereas with fiction I rarely have this type of insight.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 918

can I ask
did they give you a real reason why they rejected you work?
what does
sacred cow
mean?
and what does
within their scope
mean?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 11-09-2015, 09:40 AM
jimr (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 47

When I wrote "They provided no editorial input" in my post, I meant they gave me no reason whatsoever for the rejection (which is very common for fiction publishers, but I'm new to nonfiction so I'm still learning).

You can generally Google anything for definitions. To make sure I was using the trite phrase correctly, I Googled "sacred cow and got this:
sacred cow definition. Figuratively, anything that is beyond criticism

Within their scope means (I wasn't clear, sorry): They have an agenda that deals with up-to-date issues on a national scale; my article went way beyond that (citing historical examples and international issues), and therefore was an amateurish attempt at seeking publication (which does not mean the article might not be good for another publisher).

The reason I posted (besides the hilarious 1 hour turnaround) is that I was able to identify what was wrong with the article easily, something that is usually difficult for me with fictional story rejections. I thought other members might weigh in (offer input) on this dichotomy.

As an aside: In reviewing my original post, it seems that I misused the word "neither" ; should it be either????

Last edited by jimr; 11-09-2015 at 09:47 AM..
Old 11-09-2015, 01:46 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,062

("...well that's the trouble in asking some women whom one doesn't really love if she'll marry you I guess..." smiled the goblin, adding "...just you don't take it as a blessing when she actually rejects you now, instead anger clouds your reason, later though one just look back and thinks "what was I actually thinking" to ask her to marry me...", and with that the goblin reached up for a hug if one was on offer)

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-16-2015 at 09:58 PM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe